Livewell Location Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockinD

Reaction score
My boat doesn't have a live well. I plan to add a live well. A big one. Like 36 gallons big. I've seen the smaller ones in the boats of my buddies and they are typically alone one side of the boat. I'd like to run my across the width of the boat rather than down the length. I also plan to put under the edge of my front casting deck so the lid is on the edge. Will this cause me any issues? Will that be too much weight in the front of the boat? Are the any other issues that would make this location a bad one?

That's a lot of weight to put up front - I can't think of a production planing hull boat that would have a live-well that far forward. All that area is out of the water when on plane, puts a lot of stress on the hull. 32gal would be ~270 lbs.

It would be located approximately 6' from the bow. Would that still be too far forward?

onthewater102 said:
That's a lot of weight to put up front - I can't think of a production planing hull boat that would have a live-well that far forward. All that area is out of the water when on plane, puts a lot of stress on the hull. 32gal would be ~270 lbs.

I'm 230 pounds. Am I stressing the boat if I'm sitting at the front pedestal seat while on plane? The live well would be behind that seat. I'm not trying to be a smart A. I seriously want to know. I'm usually in the back driving the tiller and my son all of 120 pounds is up front. Again... just asking.

Was it something I said? I didn't mean to put anyone off. I was just posing the question. I was hoping for more comments than that. Is that no one knows or that it's not that big a deal?

I don't know.
I think the others who replied earlier just haven't been back since you revived the thread. I'm sure there'll be more input.

I think it would be plenty fine from a hull strength standpoint. The question for me is more about how it affects your boats weight distribution. Maybe you can simulate the weight in the approximate location you are wanting it and go out and lake test the boat both using the motor and moving around in it while you are stopped.

I'm not an engineer - but I noticed all the designs of planing boats with livewells place the livewells on the section of the boat that is still in contact with the water when on plane & I so called a manufacture (Lowe) and their service rep told me any weight that is lifted out of the water applies extra stress on the transom & throughout the hull which will over time causes flexing especially in aluminum boats which will result in rivets leaking or could lead to welds cracking (depending on boat design) especially at the base of the transom.

So what I took away from the conversation was that you want the majority of the weight in the boat to be born on the section that is in contact with the water while on plane.

You shouldn't be sitting on a swivel pedestal seat while a boat is under power - apparently swivel seats designed to be used when under power from the manufacturer are all required to have a locking mechanism. But that's a safety measure & not related to your question about the livewell placement, in CT it will get you a visit from the marine patrol and a ticket to commemorate the meeting...

I had a Crestliner Sportfish with 2 livewells. One in the back and another in the front of the windshield. I never had a problem with either. Actually I only used the one in the front and used the rear one for storage

but that boat was really well built.

perchjerker said:
I had a Crestliner Sportfish with 2 livewells. One in the back and another in the front of the windshield. I never had a problem with either. Actually I only used the one in the front and used the rear one for storage

You used that rear livewell as a cooler Perchjerker come on admit it... :mrgreen:

onthewater102 said:
I'm not an engineer - but I noticed all the designs of planing boats with livewells place the livewells on the section of the boat that is still in contact with the water when on plane & I so called a manufacture (Lowe) and their service rep told me any weight that is lifted out of the water applies extra stress on the transom & throughout the hull which will over time causes flexing especially in aluminum boats which will result in rivets leaking or could lead to welds cracking (depending on boat design) especially at the base of the transom.

So what I took away from the conversation was that you want the majority of the weight in the boat to be born on the section that is in contact with the water while on plane.

You shouldn't be sitting on a swivel pedestal seat while a boat is under power - apparently swivel seats designed to be used when under power from the manufacturer are all required to have a locking mechanism. But that's a safety measure & not related to your question about the livewell placement, in CT it will get you a visit from the marine patrol and a ticket to commemorate the meeting...

That's a good idea onthewater. I'll try calling StarCraft and see if they have anything to say.

RockinD said:
perchjerker said:

You used that rear livewell as a cooler Perchjerker come on admit it... :mrgreen:

ha

actually the boat had a built in cooler. One of the major selling points lol

perchjerker said:
RockinD said:
perchjerker said:

ha

actually the boat had a built in cooler. One of the major selling points lol

Nice!!!! =D>

Crap now I have a new idea for the boat. How much does ice weigh?!?!? LOL...

Latest posts