Lowe 1648 modv project-looking for help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwkemp1

Reaction score
Well, here goes nothing. I am going to be modifying my 2008 lowes 1648 mod v. As a first time modded I am a little hesitant but got to jump in to the big deep water at sometime. I will be using the following items to make the deck:
1. Closed cell foam on the bottom.
2. Aluminum to cover foam.
3. An old 24 foot extension ladder to provide fram support for deck.
4. 1/8 inch diamond plate for deck.
5. Seating-have not decided what to go with yet.

Reason for the mod is to create storage as I am tired of tip toe around tackle, more comfortable seating, and eventually install a foot controlled tm on the bow, and lights, with electrical control panel.

Please feel free to offer your help on this project.

Can't seem to post pics will do when I figure it out. Instructions anywhere on posting pics?

kwkemp1 said:

Can't seem to post pics will do when I figure it out. Instructions anywhere on posting pics?

Welcome.
This should help with posting pics...
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3664

thanks to Jasper I was able to download some pics. As you can see she is fairly plane jane. As I think about this project more my first dilema is to: Option #1 place the ladders from starboard to port or Option #2 from transom to bow.

Option #1 would provide more deck support.
Option #2 would provide less cutting and bigger storage areas.

Attachments

• 2012-04-08 14.41.31.jpg
    2012-04-08 14.41.31.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,132
  • 2012-04-08 14.31.00.jpg
    2012-04-08 14.31.00.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,132
You are headed in the rite direction useing alumimum rather than woood for your floor and deck,no cence weighting the boat down and haveing to redo it down the road after the wood decays away.Alumimum is the only way to go.

my suggestion would be from starboard to port. If you mount a seat and spend a lot of time on the raised deck seat, you will find the extra support helpful.
The Ladder thing is ingenious. I wish I had thought of that... great idea. Remember, the more storage you have the more junk, or er stuff, you will have in your boat to weigh it down. boat looks great... good luck and keep us posted.
peace

kwkemp1 said:
As I think about this project more my first dilema is to: Option #1 place the ladders from starboard to port or Option #2 from transom to bow.

Option #1 would provide more deck support.
Option #2 would provide less cutting and bigger storage areas.

Figure out what works best for the layout you want. You'll be able to strengthen your bracing with vertical supports down to the ribs. I'm not sure how long you want your deck (half way or all the way back to the middle seat), but many secure the bracing from bow to the middle seat and drop some vertical supports where needed (under the seat base). Great looking boat and good luck.

I agree with the above, a good option is to put the front deck in between the bow and the middle seat.

Here is an idea for you. Use the ladder as support from the middle seat to the bow, as shown in black. Then put a deck (wood or aluminum) over the whole thing, covering the middle seat as well.

Hi-L1648MT.jpg

MrSimon said:
I agree with the above, a good option is to put the front deck in between the bow and the middle seat.

Here is an idea for you. Use the ladder as support from the middle seat to the bow, as shown in black. Then put a deck (wood or aluminum) over the whole thing, covering the middle seat as well.

Hi-L1648MT.jpg

I think lengthwise, as MrSimon has shown, should provide enough support. From your picture, it looks like the center section span would be about the same as the ladder span or slightly less.

Really have not thought about laying them the direction as diagrammed. My thought was to have them on their sides (15 inches high) about a 1.5 inches higher than the benches and about 3 inches below the top. Then brace between the ladders so they do not move side to side.
Ideas to think about. Wish I could draw what I was talking about.

You don't need to turn the ladders on their end like you are saying. The sides of aluminum ladders are basically aluminum I beams and are very strong. Your way will definitely work though, and it will be plenty strong enough to support the deck.

Got some work done on the boat yesterday and today. Basically placed blue foam in bottom of boat, cut ladder to fit where it needs to go (not secured yet) and placed old rubber exercise mat between middle bench and bow over blue foam.

Still have two 4 foot sections left of the ladder.
Plan to take out the steps on one to use on sides and bow to support DP at edges.
The other piece I will run port to starboard to go underneath the DP on the front end of the boat.

Since the sides are angled slightly trying to find something to compensate to create a straight edge to place dp on? How is this done?

As always suggestions welcome.

Kevin

Attachments

• 2012-04-15 18.11.39.jpg
    2012-04-15 18.11.39.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,920
  • 2012-04-15 18.11.59.jpg
    2012-04-15 18.11.59.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,920
  • 2012-04-15 18.12.03.jpg
    2012-04-15 18.12.03.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,920
  • 2012-04-15 18.12.15.jpg
    2012-04-15 18.12.15.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,920
Wow it has been a long time since I made a post but I am getting closer. Between work, good weather which means going fishing with my friends finding time to work on the boat is short. This weekend though I got sometime to work on it since the wind was blowing 15-20 mph.

Attachments

• 2012-06-03 09.22.33.jpg
    2012-06-03 09.22.33.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,732
On Sunday I built the frame for the front deck. Had to overcome and adapt a few imperfections to level, but I got there.
Used three sections of 1/8 dp. The middle section is rivoted in place, however the port and starboard side will be hinged to the boat so you can use for storage of anchor, battery, life jackets, etc.

Picture 1 is from the back and shows how the deck is supported and leveled.
Picture 2 shows how the deck semi put together. It has not been hinged or rivoted in yet.

Stood on top of middle section where seat will go and held 205 pounds easily.

Attachments

• 2012-06-03 19.54.31.jpg
    2012-06-03 19.54.31.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,732
  • 2012-06-03 19.53.41.jpg
    2012-06-03 19.53.41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,732
kwkemp1 said:
Anyone make their own tiller extension? Or is it easier to buy?
Am going to need one.

PVC Pipe
PVC End Cap
2 Pipe Clamps

Pick a diameter that fits over the handle of the motor, make 2 cuts lengthwise on the pipe (it will have a notch at 12,3,6,9 o'clocks) - likely 3 inches should be fine. Place the cut end over the tiller handle and tighten the pipe clamps on the throttle.