Lowe Big Jon 1648 Hunt/Fish Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get a whole lot done this week due to working extra hours. Did get the foam cut for the floor and test fitted it. Also picked up the aluminum sheets for the flooring.

The biggest thing I have been working on is the layout for the boat. Think I finally got it figured out and now I just have to get it all done.

Foam for floor:
FoamTestFit_zps2e0623f6.jpg

Aluminum sheets for floor:
AluminumFloor_zps73c2dc15.jpg

Boat Layout:
BoatLayout_zpse882dfa5.jpg

Started building the front deck/storage area. Have changed the design of the boat AGAIN lol. I believe at this point I am going to keep the batteries in the back and just leave the front as storage.

IMAG1113_zpsfab7806a.jpg

IMAG1114_zpsbf93e404.jpg

I had a little situation which shook me up a little bit. While drilling one of these aluminum pieces I wasn't paying any mind to the strings on the hoodie I was wearing and next thing you know I was being choked out by it. Not sure where or how the drill bit broke but I am extremely lucky that it didn't go in my neck and that the sweatshirt didn't strangle me. Of course I am probably the only dummy that stops to take a picture as a "learning" experience, lol. Here you can see im not even holding the drill... it is basically choking me out, lol. My wife ended up having to cut it loose. She wasn't too happy.

Here is a picture after my wife cut it loose and then a picture of how much it tangled up before I got the drill stopped. I would say an inch more and it would have cut off my air flow.

IMAG1107_zpsc5a1c8e9.jpg

IMAG1108_zps08fceb5c.jpg

So i get on tinboats because im looking to re-do my boat deck setup and sure enough I find your thread with my EXACT boat and motor setup. My boat currently has all wood floor and wood front deck but I plan on stripping all of the wood out due to weight and going back with aluminum. Your's is looking great so far, are you not going to put the middle bench back in? Im afraid to take mine out, I dont want to hinder the structural integrity. Also what is your person and weight rating on there? The previous owner painted over the capacity plate on mine. What kind of speeds were you getting when you ran it?

Gave up a lot of structural strength taking the benches out. That will put even more stress on the rivets and joints. Just something to consider, that's all.

Ever do any bowfishing in Lake Anna?

fowl, that is funny! I do not plan to put the middle seat back in. I am willing to give up a little structural integrity for more space. Once I get it back on the water I will do some stress tests with hard turns and see how it acts. If it is stressing I will figure something out or throw it back in but from the reading I have done, lots of others have taken it out without an issue. As you can see I have extended the front platform a little so that provides a little extra something but of course the middle is where you have to worry. I am not real sure on the capacity plate, I will have to take a good look at it later. The previous owner put the trolling motor over it so a lot of the good info is rubbed off. As far as speeds I didn't carry a GPS but will next time. If I had to guess we were doing about 30 but I could be wrong and probably am.

RBO, I haven't really done much of any type of fishing on Lake Anna. Not sure many people bowfish it though. The Potomac and Rapp are where I hear people bowfishing. Can't wait to give it a try.

Got a little more done on the boat. Before one of the storms came through I wanted to get the motor into the garage so I built a stand for it. Threw it together in about 5 minutes and when I got back from GA my father had painted it for whatever reason... lol. He also put some wheels on it so that makes it really easy to roll around!

Other than that I finished the front storage area and am still working on the transom. After the test fits I pulled everything off and am coating all the wood in spar urethane. All fairly boring stuff!

Ordered the paint I needed. Plan to paint the boat in "Natural Gear" camo.

Motor Stand:
MotorStand_zps8d7dc0de.jpg

Bracing Done:
BracingDone_zps196f15f3.jpg

BracingDone2_zps0ea6b27f.jpg

Storage Done:
DeckDone_zps764db072.jpg

Storage Open:
DeckDone2_zps821b0c80.jpg

The progress has been fairly slow as I only get to work on it some evenings...

I am pretty much done all the hull cleaning so we are getting closer to the painting stage! I got the pods installed on the boat and they look great! Should definitely more than make up for some of the weight I am adding.

Been a while since I have posted updates... Turkey season got in the way!

Pic 1 - Test fit of the flooring and Nautolex installed.

Pic 2 - Steelflexed the bottom.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371424491599.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424491599.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,624
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371424546944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424546944.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,624
Pic 1 - Figured it would be fun to have a matching cooler!

Pic 2-4 - Finally done painting boat...

Pic 5 - Installed new bunk holders and bunks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371424760085.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424760085.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,624
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371424810851.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424810851.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,624
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371424866996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424866996.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,624
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371424887275.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424887275.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,624
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371424902946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371424902946.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,624
Nice work,paint job looks great.
Have you had it in the water yet with the pods?

Thanks for the comments fellas. Ben, to be honest I am not sure which angle it is. I bought it from Lowes and it was the thickest stuff they had. Can't imagine that it wouldn't hold up as it is VERY sturdy but only time will tell. Ill post here if I run into any issues with it.

Zum, haven't had it on the water yet. This weekend hopefully will be the maiden voyage.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319245#p319245 said:
NLaudy » 11 minutes ago[/url]"]Thanks for the comments fellas. Ben, to be honest I am not sure which angle it is. I bought it from Lowes and it was the thickest stuff they had. Can't imagine that it wouldn't hold up as it is VERY sturdy but only time will tell. Ill post here if I run into any issues with it.
i think they sell both .0625 and .125. i ask because im doing the same with my casting deck and am interested to know how it will hold up over time. my normal partner is about the same size as you, where im 100 lbs lighter- and i dont want to design the braces good enough to support me but not him. i may end up welding my braces except where they contact the hull, which will be riveted.

just noticed all the matching paint work you did. that thing is a hunting cadillac. very sharp!