Making a jacker plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
How hard is it to build a jacker plate? what materials are best suited for the application? and is it even possible to put a 18 hp merc on a fourteen footer? Just wondering, cuz there's a few motors for sale in the area, all being long shafts, and my boat being a short shaft...

Your boat should have no problem with the 18 hp.I would think twice about putting a long shaft on your boat.You don't want that weight up so high.It will make your boat more tippy.

On a long shaft on a short shaft boat your lower unit will be in the water farther than it needs to be resulting in slower speeds & not as shallow water you can go in.

I found a new mini jacker on ebay $42 including shipping. I'm running a 25hp Mariner on a 1436 jon boat.

I have an 1979 14' mirrorcraft no tag listing weight or HP rating. I have a 16hp long shaft on it that came with the boat I made a jack plate to raise the motor and didn't notice any difference in stability of the boat after adding it. Look at my posts you will see photos of it. I will post a link if I can figure out how.

No cap plate, my best theory is that its pre-1972. I think I could get away with 18 hp. my main concerns are stability, and handling/safety.

Boater, how did you make your plate, and how does it perform?