Merc 110 9.8hp-->15HP Conversion?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsweber82

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have read some articles and posts about converting a merc 9.9 to a 15hp just by changing the carb. However, I have done a ton of searching and cannot find whether or not you can convert an older 9.8hp the same way? It seems from what I have found, this conversion only works for the mid 90's and newer 9.9 because they use the same powerhead as the 15hp.

I have a 1972 Merc 110 9.8hp and would like to upgrade the carb if possible. Does anyone know if it can be done for my motor and if so what part numbers I will need?

Thanks,

Your engine is the souped-up version of the 7.5. There are no factory swap-ups to help with this one.
The Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 engines share the same powerhead with the 15s. Not so with Mercury. The Mercury 15 is a larger engine than the 9.9(same 'chassis'). The Merc 9.9 shares the same displacement with the 6 and 8hp engines. I have not researched the other differences.

Latest posts