merc 25 4/S short shaft vs long shaft on grizzly 1448

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onlineoutboards has a Suz 25 tiller for around 4K. 20 HP is about the same $ what you are looking at.
I use my Grizzly for more than lakes which it is perfect for. (Perfect meaning for me and storage in my small garage).
I also run out into the inshore rivers / small bays of the Tampa Bay area. Going to have to try to avoid from that as the waves from the large boats really bang down the hull if I hit them at 25 or more MPH. I worry about splitting a weld. A Grizzly 1648 with a 60 HP would definitely be more roomy and fun...

jtsull said:
Onlineoutboards has a Suz 25 tiller for around 4K. 20 HP is about the same $ what you are looking at.
I use my Grizzly for more than lakes which it is perfect for. (Perfect meaning for me and storage in my small garage).
I also run out into the inshore rivers / small bays of the Tampa Bay area. Going to have to try to avoid from that as the waves from the large boats really bang down the hull if I hit them at 25 or more MPH. I worry about splitting a weld. A Grizzly 1648 with a 60 HP would definitely be more roomy and fun...
The nearest Suzuki dealer is 3.5 hr drive and they already don't seem to be interested in my small engine request much less do warranty work on an engine I didn't get from them. The 20 Tohatsu is about 50lbs lighter and 800 less and have a local dealer [in case of warranty]. From what Ive read I should get mid twentys wot. Im just on lakes so that's fine for me. It beats 5mph on my kayak. Im downsizing from my last boat. Alumacraft 165 classic tiller 60hp Yam.
I use to live in south fla 70's and late 80's. Tampa is a great place to fish. You are fortunate to live there. I miss having Grouper.

Have you considered Yamaha any? Lightest 25hp on the market. Inexpensive too, in comparison to some of the others. Sure do like mine.

If there's one thing I like about the Merc, it's that it's a 3 cylinder (same as Tohatsu since TOhatsu makes it). The suzuki is also 3 cylinder, and a little lighter than the Merc. Finally got a chance to run a Suzuki DF25AES2 and though it was smooth running, and pretty quiet, it was noisier than my little twin cylinder Yamaha, and honestly, for what it costs, I wasn't that impressed with it.

The Merc 25ELH MSRP is $4700 and change.
Suzuki 25 is about $4900.
ETEC 25 is about $5200-which I dont' care about because I don't care for the heavy, expensive 2 stroke-even if it is a good motor.
Yamaha-I bought mine (short shaft electric start tiller manual tilt since it's a LOT lighter than my old one), $3699 out the door. I think MSRP is higher online, got mine locally, price was a lot lower than any online retailer-and I didn't get anything "off" of it being that I work at a dealer. They make like $20 on a loose outboard (not included into a boat/trailer package), so the price is the same for everyone. Came with high quality fuel line, but no tank...they'll include a tank but I just re-used mine and saved them a little $$$.

Watch the online retailers. I had a buddy who bought a Tohatsu 25hp in 2010, bought it on ebay because of the much lower price than anyone local. Well it was lower for a reason. Generic listing. Was supposed to be an electric start, got it and we went to hang it on his transom and realized that it was a manual start only. Had to pay to send it back of course (truck freight due to the size/weight), finally got them to own up to the misleading listing, they sent the correct one-ended up costing him more than buying it locally, lost half of the fishing season waiting around and fighting with the seller. It was a good motor, a little crude, but it did what we asked it to do, other than a lack of power trim (listing said power trim & tilt-when in fact it was not trim, just tilt...meaning it could not be trimmed while underway). That particulary upset me in that I'm used to having trim to change the boat's attitude in relation to a load change. In other words, it was "cheaper" for a reason.

turbotodd said:
Have you considered Yamaha any? Lightest 25hp on the market. Inexpensive too, in comparison to some of the others. Sure do like mine.

If there's one thing I like about the Merc, it's that it's a 3 cylinder (same as Tohatsu since TOhatsu makes it). The suzuki is also 3 cylinder, and a little lighter than the Merc. Finally got a chance to run a Suzuki DF25AES2 and though it was smooth running, and pretty quiet, it was noisier than my little twin cylinder Yamaha, and honestly, for what it costs, I wasn't that impressed with it.

ETEC 25 is about $5200-which I dont' care about because I don't care for the heavy, expensive 2 stroke-even if it is a good motor.
Yamaha-I bought mine (short shaft electric start tiller manual tilt since it's a LOT lighter than my old one), $3699 out the door. I think MSRP is higher online, got mine locally, price was a lot lower than any online retailer-and I didn't get anything "off" of it being that I work at a dealer. They make like $20 on a loose outboard (not included into a boat/trailer package), so the price is the same for everyone. Came with high quality fuel line, but no tank...they'll include a tank but I just re-used mine and saved them a little $$$.

Watch the online retailers. I had a buddy who bought a Tohatsu 25hp in 2010, bought it on ebay because of the much lower price than anyone local. Well it was lower for a reason. Generic listing. Was supposed to be an electric start, got it and we went to hang it on his transom and realized that it was a manual start only. Had to pay to send it back of course (truck freight due to the size/weight), finally got them to own up to the misleading listing, they sent the correct one-ended up costing him more than buying it locally, lost half of the fishing season waiting around and fighting with the seller. It was a good motor, a little crude, but it did what we asked it to do, other than a lack of power trim (listing said power trim & tilt-when in fact it was not trim, just tilt...meaning it could not be trimmed while underway). That particulary upset me in that I'm used to having trim to change the boat's attitude in relation to a load change. In other words, it was "cheaper" for a reason.

Great info as usual. The Yamaha dealer here is interested in motor/boat packages only. Wouldn't sell me just an engine. The other issue is the Yam 25 short shaft doesn't have Trim or tilt. I am aware the Tohatsu 20 short shaft is just tilt. Spoke with Tohatsu about OnlineOutboards[Cumberland Watersports] They have good things to say about them. Wouldn't buy anything from Ebay. Wish Yam made power tilt on 25 Short shaft.

My experience with onlineoutboards was very positive. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

jtsull said:
My experience with onlineoutboards was very positive. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Did a bunch of ck'ing on several forums. Lots of positives, now yours.
Steve at OnlineOutboards says the 20 Tohatsu tiller electric/power tilt is back ordered. Available Oct. 15th. Must be a popular little bugger. Do you have side guide posts? Not sure they're needed on this 14'. Looking at the CE Smith 40" upright PVC type.

I do. Even at 14' it helps keep it aligned motoring onto the trailer in the wind or current.
I suppose the side boards would work as well.

fyr4efect said:
turbotodd said:

Great info as usual. The Yamaha dealer here is interested in motor/boat packages only. Wouldn't sell me just an engine. The other issue is the Yam 25 short shaft doesn't have Trim or tilt. I am aware the Tohatsu 20 short shaft is just tilt. Spoke with Tohatsu about OnlineOutboards[Cumberland Watersports] They have good things to say about them. Wouldn't buy anything from Ebay. Wish Yam made power tilt on 25 Short shaft.

Some dealers are like that. A loose (not mounted on a boat) 25hp only makes the dealer about $20 or thereabouts, so they don't get real excited about selling them by themselves. They "could" mark them up but it goes without saying that a hike would also put them non competitive. Each dealer is different.

turbotodd said:
fyr4efect said:
turbotodd said:

Yamaha-I bought mine (short shaft electric start tiller manual tilt since it's a LOT lighter than my old one), $3699 out the door. I think MSRP is higher online, got mine locally, price was a lot lower than any online retailer-and I didn't get anything "off" of it being that I work at a dealer. They make like $20 on a loose
outboard (not included into a boat/trailer package), so the price is the same for everyone. Came with high quality fuel line, but no tank...they'll include a tank but I just re-used mine and saved them a little $$$.

Some dealers are like that. A loose (not mounted on a boat) 25hp only makes the dealer about $20 or thereabouts, so they don't get real excited about selling them by themselves. They "could" mark them up but it goes without saying that a hike would also put them non competitive. Each dealer is different.

Im a fan of Yam, having a Yam 60 tiller on my last boat. The new Yam 25 is impressive.

LDUBS said:
"Looking at the CE Smith 40" upright PVC type."

Had them on my previous 15' boat. They sure make life a lot easier, especially when windy. I would highly recommend them.

Thx for the input.

Just painted the bracket and the 90 Degree 1 1/2" pipe. Putting em on in am. They look well made. Now if I just had an engine.

fyr4efect said:
LDUBS said:
"Looking at the CE Smith 40" upright PVC type."

Had them on my previous 15' boat. They sure make life a lot easier, especially when windy. I would highly recommend them.

Thx for the input.

Just painted the bracket and the 90 Degree 1 1/2" pipe. Putting em on in am. They look well made. Now if I just had an engine.

On.

Attachments

• grizzly 2.jpg
    grizzly 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 450
LDUBS said:
I put a screw through the bottom of the PVC pipe into the bracket. Probably not needed but felt it was a easy precaution.

The pipe has a raised knockout and the PVC has a slot. It slides down, kinda locks into place. Money well spent.