Mercury tune up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgilpullin

Reaction score
Hello fellow boaters, I just got a 14ft Alumacraft with a 2006 Mercury 2.5hp, Im not sure if the previous owner gave it its proper maintenance so I want to take it for a tune up. Is there something I need to know before I take it to the shop? I dont want to be fooled and pay for a new engine. I will post pics later today, I like all the modifications yall are doing to yall jon boats, getting some ideas myself.

Thank

You don't need to bring it to a shop.Just put a new set of plugs in it & you should be good to go.The newer motors have a different style of impeller that doesn't have to be changed as much as the older motors.If it pumps water as soon as you start it up you should be ok.If you want you could put a new impeller in, than you would know,but after that unless you run in real mucky or sandy conditions that new impeller should be good for quite a few years.

ok, do you think the boat's transom is strong enough to hold the engine while being hauled, I usually take it off and put it inside my truck but its too much of a hassle, I would like to leave it attached to the boat all the time but Im afraid it would break the transom's aluminum.

Post a pic of your boat.I don't think a 2.5 is enough weight to hurt the transom.I know alot of people that have 15 or 20 hp & leave them on all the time.

crazymanme2 said:
You don't need to bring it to a shop.Just put a new set of plugs in it & you should be good to go.The newer motors have a different style of impeller that doesn't have to be changed as much as the older motors.If it pumps water as soon as you start it up you should be ok.If you want you could put a new impeller in, than you would know,but after that unless you run in real mucky or sandy conditions that new impeller should be good for quite a few years.

You should change every impeller once a year. It can loose large sections of fins that get sucked up into the block and still pump water...then suddenly.....

They are cheap, especially on the small motors. It is best to change them vs risking catastorphic damage. Even if you let it sit for long periods, the impeller will begin to dry rot and it doesn't take much to have it start to come apart. Once you loose a piece into the block (which is where it has to go) you must back flush it to find it or pull the power head if that doesn't work. Don't risk it.

Bufford

virgilpullin said:
ok, do you think the boat's transom is strong enough to hold the engine while being hauled, I usually take it off and put it inside my truck but its too much of a hassle, I would like to leave it attached to the boat all the time but Im afraid it would break the transom's aluminum.

If it s on a trailer then just make sure the transome is supported by the bunks. You should not have a problem. Leaving it hanging off the back of the bunks with a motor and bouncing down the road is what will damage the transome and welds.

Bufford

Latest posts