mid to late 60's 9,9 sea horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would do well to make up pressure test system for that lower unit once you get it put together since it had issues. It is pretty simple and sure would save you a bunch of work rather than just putting it back on and then checking for water in the oil after use.

so i took the plunge and tore the whole thing apart. ordered a lower seal kit as well and im gonna go over the whole thing. that bushing over the shift shaft seal is a bugger! i had to sacrifice a screwdriver and make a punch for it. i noticed that previous owners somewhere along the line tried to remove it from the top and knarled it up a bit. there were some other signs of mechanical butchery in its past life as well. im just hoping i can wipe the slate clean and get it all squared away. just want to keep thanking you guys especially you pappy your help and support on this forum is priceless to say the least.

If you do not have the proper tool to remove the shift rod bushing you can always tap it and remove it with a long screw. Your choice whether or not you replace afterward....they are still available. The threads will not alter the pilot properties of the bushing and the O-ring is doing the sealing so....
Do not ever use silicon to seal the gearcase. Not needed and does not work worth a darn. OMC Gasket Sealing Compound is one of the best all around sealers on the market. You can use it on screw threads, O-Rings, seal installation, and on the spagetti seal.

I had ordered some sealing compound today as well thank you. it's funny you mention threading the bushing that was my first idea to do exactly that and make a little puller but of course I had every size of bolt and all thread known to man except for the one I need LOL and I wasn't going out of the shop to the store. the makeshift screwdriver work and only took two small wax and it was out no real damage

so basically everything that gets sealed could benifit from a little sealing compound?

Latest posts