Minnkota Edge stuck in 4th speed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Reaction score
speedswitch1.jpg

This is the speed switch and the threaded arm that the knob attaches to is stuck and doesn't spin any. I'm guessing this should spin pretty easily to adjust between speeds right? It looks like the knob is stripped out and not doing anything when I am turning it.

This is on a 12v 55# Minnkota Edge.

Sounds (and with all that corrosion, looks) like it is just a broken switch. Shouldn't be too hard to to toss in a replacement. I have an Edge motor and it turns easily enough.

Kind of what I figured. I got the new switch and knob on order. Is there anything a person can do to help prevent the corrosion? The trolling motor is probably only a year old.

Seth said:
Kind of what I figured. I got the new switch and knob on order. Is there anything a person can do to help prevent the corrosion? The trolling motor is probably only a year old.

I took a look at mine last week and cleaned the contacts on the momentary switch. The were had some surface corrosion and this is my third year with the motor. I used to take it off after every trip, then that got old, so I just left it on... all winter. Half of the winter exposed. It seems to work fine enough but I didn't look at the front of the switch. I suppose it probably looks like yours - which is disappointing. Wish companies would build things to last forever, not just make them out of the cheapest components.

Some dielectric grease should help.
You getting corrosion anywhere else?

Zum said:
Some dielectric grease should help.
You getting corrosion anywhere else?

Didn't check. I'll give it a good once over when I put the new switch in and see what the other pieces are looking like.

Put the new switch in and everything is back to normal. The other connections didn't look too bad so I just left everything else as it was.

Latest posts