Mohawk restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
P9060359.JPGP8300343.JPGP9060361.JPG
This is my 1st boat restore and I need some advice on the transom replacement. Only info on the hull is the name and the #210. What you see in the pics is as I found it. That won't do, I'd rather overbuild. Transom is 53" W & 15" D, boat is 15' 10" length. What I think I need to know is how much of the interior of the stern should the new wood cover? It appears the original had to stop above the 3 strut supports, they're buck riveted in the hull bottom and stern. Boat has a 28HP evinrude, the guy claimed it had a 40 HP. Whats the right way to do this job?

Hi nice boat.
I love all the aluminum toys you have.
It looks like the wood was a little taller where the motor sat? I think the wood was replaced at least once, when you pull the wood out you may see a shadow from the original transom.

Whats there is someones attempt to replace it. Good idea on the shadow but when I pulled the wood today the inside of the stern had been well cleaned, no marks. Being new to boats I can't believe that little structural support can take a 28 HP. I ran the formula here on site, it says the boat can handle a 50 HP. I'd really appreciate some experienced opinions. Can this little tin can really support the weight and torque up to a 50 HP and handle it safely?

With the structure of the top deck I'm sure it can handle a bigger motor. There are a few things I would do though, make the transom as thick as you can and still get the motor mounted, at the bottom of the transom wood I'd add a Z channel, on each sides of the transom add a piece of aluminum angle tying the transom to the hull.

Latest posts