Motor with alternator... hows that work??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganman18

Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to buy a motor electric start with an alternator/built in charger. I was wondering how this works? Do i need any other accessories? or can i connect wires to deep cycle battery and it charge? Will it charge while running. I do believe its a Chrysler mid 70's something 20hp. Model not sure but will be getting it soon. Ive only run a standard motor with pull start and a trolling motor. Thats as high tech as i go. Nothing like finder or light or live well yet but maybe in the future ill want to upgrade thats why I am asking... Help is appreciated.

I can only tell you about the little 15hp evinrude that I have. It will charge the battery while the motor runs. When I put the charger on the battery after a day at the lake it is almost charged all it takes is just a little topping off by the charger.

So if i want to charge the battery even when not at the lake id have to run the motor? If i dont use my home charger right?

michiganman18 said:
So if i want to charge the battery even when not at the lake id have to run the motor? If i dont use my home charger right?

Yep or hook the battery up to jumper cables and let the car run for a few hours at 2000 to 2500 rpm.

Latest posts