Muskie Fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a pic of my Muskie that was caught in the Spring of 2006. I am new to this sight, that is why its being posted so late. She was 22lbs 9oz. and 48 3/4'' long. Not bad for my first one. It was a fight, but so much fun. She is now on my wall.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 983
Yeah, its a 48'' I am 6'5'' and 240lbs. I not a small guy...LOL I was excited to get it. No I didnt eat it, I took it to a local taxadermist and he mounted in for me. Looks great on the wall.

bassbuster2011 said:
Yeah, its a 48'' I am 6'5'' and 240lbs. I not a small guy...LOL I was excited to get it. No I didnt eat it, I took it to a local taxadermist and he mounted in for me. Looks great on the wall.

Awesome!

Great fish. Did you catch it in Indiana?

I signed up for a musky fishing "school" in St Germaine Wisc. in early June 2011. Looking forward to it..and to catching some more 'skis during the Summer.
regards, Rich and welcome aboard.....

bassbuster2011 said:
Yeah, its a 48'' I am 6'5'' and 240lbs. I not a small guy...

Nice, I'm 6'2" and with the size of that muskie figured you must be around 6 1/2. Great catch and good luck this year!

That's the main fishing I'm building my boat for. Can't wait to hit those lakes in IN again.

Nice fish. They are SO addicting to fish for.

Welcome aboard! Great fish! I've always wanted to catch a big muskie, but I've only ever caught one small one (about 18") in a local lake that stocks them :roll: so I wouldn't really count mine as catching one...

Nice fish! I have some pretty great Musky lakes around where I live... I promised myself I was going to get myself some new gear this winter that is more geared toward Musky fishing but I keep procrastinating. I love bass fishing, but it would be awesome to chase some monster toothies from time to time too.

breachless said:
Nice fish! I have some pretty great Musky lakes around where I live... I promised myself I was going to get myself some new gear this winter that is more geared toward Musky fishing but I keep procrastinating. I love bass fishing, but it would be awesome to chase some monster toothies from time to time too.

There are forums for musky fishing and there are baits for sale all the time.
You could pick up a used Abu 5500 or 6500 C3 or C4 on Ebay, and I REALLY like the Gander Mountain Musky rods, and IIRC all of them are under $100.

My only fishing "Stuff" purchase this spring is going to be an 8' or 8.5' Musky rod. Maybe a St Croix. Everything else is boat budget.

I've caught a number of muskies. Maybe ten or more. Nothing like what "real" muskie fisherman catch from what I can see on the web.

However, my biggest was a 51 incher. It was caught when I used a muskie guide in Southern Wisconsin two or three years ago. He set up some fairly long, and pretty flexible, 7 or 8 ft trolling rods. That evening, I "caught" four muskies. ...."caught" is in parentheses because.... by trolling as we were, I wasn't doing much until after the fish hit and nearly hooked itself.

I boated three in the mid 30's and then the 51 incher. I didn't feel that any of them gave me sufficient fight due to the long, flexible rod. It whipped the fish. It whipped the fish to the point that the 51 incher, which was an older fish, died.

I much prefer a stiffer rod. You can feel and fight the fish ..but not kill the fish. Just me, I guess. I own a fairly stiff older All-Star 7 foot rod that gives a much better fight sensation when you hook a big fish. It is my "go to " rod when I am in big fish water. Rich

p.s. IMHO, a 25 inch saltwater redfish will out-pull ANY freshwater fish that I have ever caught. And a saltwater bonefish, pound for pound, will out pull any other fish (salt or fresh) that swims. I've never caught a snook...so that theory is yet to be proven fully. RG

Mid thirties...lake in the Woods, Canada two years ago. On the All Star rod . Rich

2844710381_608ce239c9.jpg

The lake I grew up on, Kinkaid Lake in Southern Illinois, is stocked with them. It's the only lake in the area that has them so we get people from all the states that surround us. I have never actually "fished" for them, but catch them all the time while bass fishing. My biggest is around 40". On Kinkaid a muskie has to be 48" to be considered a "keeper". I have witnessed my dad catch 3 over 48". The biggest one came 2 years ago while fishing a bass tournament, it was 52". He always catches his on a white spinnerbait but I have most of my luck on texas rigged plastic baits.

About 5 years ago the local biologists did a shock survey on the fish in the lake and they said there were at least 3 state record muskies in the lake.

Here is a picture of one that I caught early last year while bass fishing. I was by myself and didn't have a net so I couldn't land it. I just snapped the pics and then cut my line.

muskie.jpg

muskie2.jpg

Super...three State records in one lake. I think I'd be fishing there all of the time if I lived close by.

Another Illinois lake that is stocked with muskies is Shabbona...way West of Chicago. It is probably not much further from me, when I am in Fox Lake IL, than some of the Southern Wisconsin Lakes that I drive to now.

I went to Shabbona once with a guide. He had boat problems and we didn't catch anything. That's what happens when I go fishing, it seems. Bad things happen. Ha Rich

Musky fishing in Wisconsin is like bread and butter or peanut butter and jelly... they just go together naturally. Hayward WI. (up north tourist town) is known as "The Musky Capital of the World". I have caught a few biggest being about 44". Some fisherman fish Musky their entire life trying to catch a big one. Like any other fishing, it kinda becomes an obsession.

One of the many things I like about Musky fishing is the size of the baits used.. when trolling live bait (suckers) it is not uncommon to use bait that is bigger (17") than some panfish I keep...

Hey richg99.... That S.E. WI lake you caught the muskies trolling on would not be "My" lake... would it.... [-X .... just kidding... but seriously let me know if there are any openings for the St. Germain Musky classes.. I might be interested.

Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman...Over five or six summers, I've caught two muskies on Silver Lake. Both were around 29 inches.

The lake that I was referring to was Pewaukee. I've also fished Okauchee and intend to fish Oconomowoc this summer. It is on Pewaukee that I had the experience with the guide and the 51 incher, though.

Info on the muskie school is at www.MuskyHunter.com ... the site for the muskie magazine of the same name. I chose the shorter, and earlier, of the two trips. I intend to haul my 16 ft. Carolina Skiff up, and fish one more day after the school is finished. The quick rundown from their site is printed below. Oh, I chose the "fishing with the guides option" for $900 instead of the regular offering. I figured it was worth the extra few hundred bucks to do it with the pros in the boat. I'll probably make a fool out of myself... Ha ha Rich
University of Esox
2011 Schedule

SUMMER MUSKY TACTICS
June 10-12, 2011 • Vilas County, Wisconsin • Hosted by St. Germain Lodge and Fibber's Restaurant, www.stgermainlodge.com

Base Package (bring your own boat and tackle): $600 • Guided package (fish with the instructors!): $900

Learn summer musky tactics during the pre-summer peak in the famed waters of northern Wisconsin. High success rate. This is a Friday through Sunday event, and the University of Esox staff will be joined by Musky Hunter Field Editor Roger Sabota and other top local guides including Ken Jackson and Rob Manthei.

Students annually enjoy a success rate over 50 percent at this school. Attendees receive about eight hours of seminars, which discuss all “typical” summer musky fishing tactics. As many as a dozen different area waters may be fished during this school.

Enrollment is limited to 23 students. This popular school is always a quick sell-out!
www.muskyhunter.com

Latest posts