My 14' Jon Mods So Far, But Looking For Help With The Rest

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F239141

Reaction score
Here Is the start of the mods to my 1978 14" Sears Game Fisher

I got it form a Member on here, this is his thred on what he did to the boat
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23284

Here is whats been done and going to be done

Boat ~ 1/2 plywood floor covered in carpet between front and rear seats, LED bow/stern lights, 2- 3 gallon gas cans, Hummingbird fish finder, rope cleats, seat and swivel.

To add soon, 1 more seat and swivel, rod holders, front fishing "deck", LED lights to illuminate inside the boat, 600 GPH automatic bildge pump, and some kind of a small "pod" with a radio, speakers, and a switch pannel by the back seat

Trailer ~ LED lights, tongue jack, tires/wheels, safety chains, and coupler. also modified/fix winch.

To add soon, longer runners, bearings / bearing buddys, and guide ons

I put a 1969 Evinrude Fastwin on it, I have put a new impeller in it, new recoil spring, and repainted and redecaled hood

Attachments

• IMAG0997.jpg
    IMAG0997.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG0999.jpg
    IMAG0999.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG1000.jpg
    IMAG1000.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG1001.jpg
    IMAG1001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG1002.jpg
    IMAG1002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG1003.jpg
    IMAG1003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG1004.jpg
    IMAG1004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,857
  • IMAG1005.jpg
    IMAG1005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,857
Here is a few more pics

Attachments

• IMAG1006.jpg
    IMAG1006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,832
  • IMAG1007.jpg
    IMAG1007.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,832
  • IMAG1011.jpg
    IMAG1011.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,832
  • IMAG1012.jpg
    IMAG1012.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,832
  • IMAG0998.jpg
    IMAG0998.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,832
The next step is the front "fishing deck"

Im open to suggestions on how to make this, but I'm also worried about to much weight up front and having trouble planing???

I found a nice little MonArk 1448 Jon that I want to mod and while looking for ideas came across your boat. I like the big light you have mounted on the front and wonder how it is powered. Is it 12 volt or are you using an inverter to get to 120 volts?

put a new piece of support plywood on the transom for the outboard and rod holders

ordered a carb kit, new leaf valves, and leaf plate gaskets today too

put some 5.70 x 8 tires on too

The boat is looking great! Fresh tires and rims. Ya know those lights were brand new! I hope you saved them. Dennis Aluminum in Foley is my fav welder. You could try him for guide on's. Think he quoted me $45 one time?..

Below is a picture of a 1436 w/ 18hp Fastwin w/ front deck. W/o it the boat would porpoise with just me. Once I added some weight it made a huge difference. The floor you've got prob solved that issue. Stability wise unless you bring it back pretty far standing on it will risk you falling in the drink.

Did taking that hydrofoil off fix your problem?

Who did your numbers? $ ?

Attachments

• redboat1.jpg
    redboat1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,506
  • jon2.jpg
    jon2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,506
Yea I kept the lights, they will get used on a utility trailer that I fix to sell. I had the LED's sitting in my shop so I figured it was a good use for them with all the trailering of the boat Ill be doing. I hate to have to worry about light bulbs blowing :evil:

I havent taken it out since I removed the foils, I decided to go ahead and do some preventive maintance to the engine by cleaning and rebuilding the carb and replacing the 2 leaf valves while I was into it that far. I hope to go out over the long weekend for Mardi Gras.

Thanks for the pic of the front deck, thats how I was looking to build mine

The numbers were in a pack form Bass Pro, but normaly I have a guy in Daphne (next to Club 44) do my custom vinyl work.

Talking about the guide ons have you seen the "cheap guide on's" that ben2go has on his sig, https://www.widgetsailor.com/owners/greg/guides.html

Ok my 18HP Rude is going to to be a boat anchor, I have put a new water pump, and a carb rebuild on it, and a new recoil spring. (its also had a new fuel pump, points, condencer, etc)..... but anyway the key on the flywheel broke so it will not turn the crank anymore

So the 18 Rude is FOR SALE and I'm looking for a new 15-20 HP engine

sixgun86 said:
F239141 said:
Got the engine to run again

What all was involved?

well there was a leak between the power head and intake ( I know thats probably not the technical name for the parts) I sealed it up, also the "plug" as the parts book calls the needle in the bottom of the carb is a fuel inlet needle, and had to be opened some. Of course replaced the flywheel key.

Im not sure if its going to run "right" yet I havent had time to tune the carb

Either way its a major weight off my back that it will atleast run again, I really hope it runs good. Im sure between the points, condencer, fuel pump that Don replaced, and the water pump, carb rebuild, leaf valves, spark plugs and then the little things like the recoil and keyway it will run good, unless its a compression issue...... then I will have to figure out if i want to rebuild or trade up for a newer one.

I knew that boat looked familiar as soon as I saw the unique paint job! You got it looking real nice. Looks like it will make a quality vessel!

Well this engine is a mystery, I just can't seem to get it to run right, it will either idle great and rev up like a turd or vise versa .... Maybe I can get some help from the guy I bought it from

wish I could help, but I know very little about motors, start a thread in the motor section, probably more activity for motor issues there!

Ha its running good now, alot of carb tuning and its fixed ....... but now that its running good I can sell the motor, and I'm going to buy a new 20H.P. Nissan 4 stroke, figure its prob a good idea. I plan on keeping this boat as my river fishing boat for awhile, so a new motor should last a good amount of time.

Well got a 1997 Evinrude 25 H.P. for it today...... I know I wanted a new engine, but this one is new enough and it runs good

Attachments

• IMAG1059.jpg
    IMAG1059.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 564
  • IMAG1058.jpg
    IMAG1058.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 564

Latest posts