My 79 Lowe 1648 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of the steelflex. I couldn't really get the temperature to the point I wanted, but I put it on anyhow. It ended up being around 70 degrees, but I had to shut off the propane heater when I left. It was about 25-30 outside, so I didn't get to let it fully cure at that temperature. It was extremely difficult to work with and I didn't have nearly enough to do what I needed to do. I don't know how people say they did 3 coats and had enough left over for their trailer. I did a decent coat on the bottom with a few touch up spots and I put a thin coat on the sides with a few touch ups there as well. I barely have enough to do the top rail when I flip it over and I really wanted to put another coat on it (but I don't have enough). I used 1 gallon if you are wondering. It came in 2 half gallon containers that I mixed equally in small batches. It would have probably turned out much smoother if I had more to put on because everywhere I applied it thick, it looks much slicker. Anyhow, hopefully it is sealed now.

Attachments

• photo-85.jpg
    photo-85.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 926
  • photo-84.jpg
    photo-84.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 926
  • photo-83.jpg
    photo-83.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 926
  • photo-82.jpg
    photo-82.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 926
  • photo-80.jpg
    photo-80.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 926
  • photo-79.jpg
    photo-79.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 926
Here are some pics after I put it back on the trailer. I still have to Steelflex the top and a little in the front and the top of the transom, but I will wait till it warms up a little before I do that.

Attachments

• photo-86.jpg
    photo-86.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 905
  • photo-87.jpg
    photo-87.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 905
  • photo-89.jpg
    photo-89.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 905
  • photo-90.jpg
    photo-90.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 905
  • photo-91.jpg
    photo-91.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 905
  • photo-92.jpg
    photo-92.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 905
Well it floats! The engine is running good, but it needs a new carburetor. It has one slow leak somewhere, but not enough to get my feet wet.

I am trying to figure out how to post a link to my YouTube page. Does anybody know how?

Videos of my first run with my Lowe and Honda 9.9.

[youtube]I9V8nfn9VIE[/youtube]
[youtube]9T7AVtNZKkM[/youtube]

I got a little more done today. The floor is now cut out and I will rivet it down once I get the deck supports measured. I want to make sure of my deck design before I rivet everything down. Here are a couple of pics of the new floor.

Attachments

• photo-94.jpg
    photo-94.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 436
  • photo-93.jpg
    photo-93.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 436
Nice build , Where do you live at in West Virginia ? I live in the northern panhandle WV . I've been looking for a buildable jon . Yea that hasn't worked well . Thinking about just buying a new one from Cabela's . Anyway nice job ! =D>

I haven't had a chance to work on my boat for a while, but I think I might try to work on the decks tomorrow. I was working on it last summer and I was cutting the aluminum tubing for the deck frame. I started cutting the last piece of the frame and I heard a loud bang and felt pain in my hand. The saw had gotten in a bind and it kicked the piece of aluminum out. My hand was well away from the blade, but the jagged edge of the tubing was directly under my hand and it kicked up into my hand. Needless to say, I had a cut about 2 inches long and I lost a lot of blood. I refused to get stitches, but I probably should have. I am just crazy enough that I am ready to attack the project again. I still can't believe that happened on the last piece of bracing for the front deck. Now I just have to find all my pieces I have already cut. Too many people have been in my garage moving all of my "junk" around. I will try to keep from getting bloody this time! :wink:

Wow! Looking back through the thread, I remember now how much work I have put in this boat. I went out and looked at it and the hard work has definitely already been done. Now I need to make sure my decks are laid out like I want and then I need to get busy. It should be fun!

Latest posts