My baby!(!!!MORE PICS ADDED!!!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had both cable and PDs. I currently have a PD and love it. The foot pedal takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it, it is great. Like someone said earlier, the control doesn't sit up as high. Plus I fish barefoot a lot in the spring and summer. I find the pedal is easier to use barefoot than a cable steer. Especially the speed control with the roller slide. I just added a co-pilot to mine this year. I find that I'm using the foot pedal less and less unless I'm moving at a higher speed. I almost exclusively use the remote fob. I wear mine on my wrist, but you can mount them to your rod or wear it on a lanyard. The co-pilot comes with 3 holsters for the remote so you can switch between rods. BPS sells packs of extra holsters if you have more than 3 rods.

OK guys, I am a newbie so take it easy on me. I am really going to show you how little I know about trolling motors with my next question. Looking at the PowerDrive V2 motors in Cabela's and BassPro catalogs the shortest shaft length is 48". The outboard on my boat is about 29" from the top of the transom to the bottom of the skeg. Assuming that my jon floats close to level with me in the front is a 48" shaft going to be too long? I do realize that you can adjust the depth but isn't it going to be a little awkward to have the head of the PD 16 or 18" above the top of the boat?

Oh man, the question looks even dumber in writing!!!

phased said:
OK guys, I am a newbie so take it easy on me. I am really going to show you how little I know about trolling motors with my next question. Looking at the PowerDrive V2 motors in Cabela's and BassPro catalogs the shortest shaft length is 48". The outboard on my boat is about 29" from the top of the transom to the bottom of the skeg. Assuming that my jon floats close to level with me in the front is a 48" shaft going to be too long? I do realize that you can adjust the depth but isn't it going to be a little awkward to have the head of the PD 16 or 18" above the top of the boat?

I don't think it will look bad!

phased wrote -
Report this post

Not a dumb question at all. I know guys that have actually chopped the shaft down to avoid the problem you are describing. You just have to take out a few bolts and get out the hacksaw, drill some new holes and put it all back together.

...isn't it going to be a little awkward to have the head of the PD 16 or 18" above the top of the boat?

I fish such shallow water that both my fwd and aft tm head/shafts stick up quite a bit above the deck. The prop is probably about 6" below the surface if that much.

Thanks again fellas, I was a little concerned about it being detrimental for the head to ride high. and Dave you answered my next question, "Can the shaft be shortened"? I will let it ride high is needed until the warranty is out then shorten the shaft if need be.

Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads