my jackplate project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to hijack your thread. If you want me to start my own please let me know.

Raised my motor 3" and set it back 1.5" the boat went from 27mph to 29mph, this is with a gps. Don't know what the RPM's are, but would really like to know. It "sounds" good just want a real number to work with. This weekend I will try it with the wife and kid in the boat.

1436 flatbottom
1989 15hp mariner
1 200# person
3 gallons fuel
1 15# anchor

Cole

added the slots at work today and got out for a quick run with my wife after work. i dropped the motor a 1/2 inch and we got our speed back(18mph/ 2 people)@ 5620rpm. it still sounded like the slightest bit of cavatation. we didnt have enough time to do anymore testing but im hopping to get out by myself tomorow and see if it still holds 21mph with just me.

Are those little ol'e Johnsoon 2 strokes like the Merc's in that you can put some 15hp carbs on it and abracadabra you have a 15hp motor???????????????

If you can do that, and then go to a 14 pitch prop you will be pushing at least 30mph! With the way you have the Motor position dialed in another 7 hp (almost double) would be absolutely insane on that boat!

While were talkin crazy here you might as well port an polish the motor too... Or at least smooth out a few internal areas with a dremel.

if it was a 9.9 johnson you could get a 15 hp carb put on it, if the motor was a 1974-1978, but other wise no, a 15 hp carb wont fit on the 8 hp. your 8 hp is a step up, of the 6 hp johnson, same engine block "I think".

If it were mine I'd buy a 15 hp, then it will go close to 30 mph. and the 15 hp is only 20 lbs heavier.