My new 1960-61? AlumaCraft FD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not 100% sure on the year. It's S# is FD 10195
It has been under a car port since 1994.
Pretty clean considering it's age. It appears to have The bow platform and side steering options.

If any of yall have any cool or good info on it I'd love to know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240208_150421_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_150421_Facebook.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240208_150419_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_150419_Facebook.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 0
Very cool old boat !! Remember them from my youth working at a small marina. If you decide ro bring her back to like new condition, be sure you have pics for us to drool over !!
I definitely plan too. My goal as of now is a 50-60s red white paint scheme, same with the interior. But mechanically I'm going with modern steering, a modern 4 stoke (Yamaha, Tohatsu or Suzuki.) Bluetooth radio, nice amp and speakers, Bimini top, fish finder etc. I will absolutely share my journey. It's my 4th boat. My previous was a 1982 22 foot Wellcraft V20. I just didn't like spending 200$ on gas every weekend.

Great find! That looks like an original SC....VERY cool! That's going to be a FUN project. It appears so original....try and keep as original as possible.
Share your pics along the way and reach out here if you need any help in spending your money....we have experts on that subject readily available!

Great find! That looks like an original SC....VERY cool! That's going to be a FUN project. It appears so original....try and keep as original as possible.
Share your pics along the way and reach out here if you need any help in spending your money....we have experts on that subject readily available!
Thank you. After finding the Serial number and getting with Alumacraft is a 1959 FD.
I am going to keep it all original minus the engine and electronics. The boat itself I am keeping as original as I can.
I am looking for a couple parts. The Bow Hook is missing and I really need to find one. I can 3d print one then cast one but that would take a lot of time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215_111845_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240215_111845_Messenger.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
Nice FD! I love the steering pods.
As a heads-up, I can offer some experience with the Aqueduct transom.
It's likely you'll need to to replace both the yoke and the pad as one does on these old girls.

The path of least resistance is to remove the two center brackets.
Putting them back can be with more solid rivets or just stainless bolts will work fine in this location.

Many folks make the mistake of removing the corner brackets. There are screws there and it seems logical, however removing these becomes a gigantic headache. Putting them back has a high failure rate as they are cast items and spring-loaded into the gunnels. It's also likely the top transom plate is spot-welded, as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_192112089_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210905_192112089_HDR.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 0
Nice FD! I love the steering pods.
As a heads-up, I can offer some experience with the Aqueduct transom.
It's likely you'll need to to replace both the yoke and the pad as one does on these old girls.

The path of least resistance is to remove the two center brackets.
Putting them back can be with more solid rivets or just stainless bolts will work fine in this location.

Many folks make the mistake of removing the corner brackets. There are screws there and it seems logical, however removing these becomes a gigantic headache. Putting them back has a high failure rate as they are cast items and spring-loaded into the gunnels. It's also likely the top transom plate is spot-welded, as well.
Thanks for the heads up. Someone has replaced the wood at some point. Probably back in the 90s. They used long stainless hardware. But the wood is pretty rough now. I plan on using starboard as it gives a clean look. It's kinda pricey compared to just using a good solid wood, but it will last much longer.
That was the reason I wanted the boat was the steering console. So cool.

How many people have you had in yours? How stable are they?

Thanks for the heads up. Someone has replaced the wood at some point. Probably back in the 90s. They used long stainless hardware. But the wood is pretty rough now. I plan on using starboard as it gives a clean look. It's kinda pricey compared to just using a good solid wood, but it will last much longer.

In general, you'll find Alumacraft very stable boats. Built like tanks. The stretch-form construction (part of the reason for avoiding the removal of the corners) along with the heavy gauge material make for a lifetime boat.

As for my current Alumacraft, it's a Deep C, so built a bit different than your FD. The Deep C is a 15 footer with a ton of freeboard.

In the case of the FD, it's rated for 4 people, but that's a bit misleading. The actual capacity is based on weight.
For 1959, the FD is weight capped at 725lbs. That includes motor, fuel, gear, and people. You'll have to do the math and the balancing.
*also, at 725, beware that your 4-stroke choice doesn't eat up the majority of your capacity. By the time you counter balance bow weight with everything you can throw up there, you'll have no more cap for friends. lol

Last edited:

I have used starboard and think it is great stuff for certain applications. However, it would not be my first choice for a transom. The big benefit would be it is waterproof. Otherwise, it is heavy, expensive, cannot be glued, I suspect longer spans are subject to maintaining a warp if under constant load, and it is slippery (bolt or use a tether on your outboard).

Being aware of all of that, I think with the two middle braces, it would work for your transom.

Not 100% sure on the year. It's S# is FD 10195
It has been under a car port since 1994.
Pretty clean considering it's age. It appears to have The bow platform and side steering options.

If any of yall have any cool or good info on it I'd love to know.
Really great and rare find there you have! I have only seen one other at least here in Florida. My brother also has a 1955 model FD which he has owned since 1968. Between the 2 of us we have 4 50/60's era Alumacrafts. They are really amazing well built!!

Attachments

• 20220327_195034.jpg
    20220327_195034.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo1294.jpg
    Photo1294.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
If going with a new four stroke, remember weight ! An older two stroke that has been freshened up will be just as reliable, faster, less weight, and less expensive even after an overhaul with new paint ...and the " cool" factor is out of this world !! My boating career started in the late 50's, numerous outboards ran for years with very little maintenence and with todays better quality oils and fuels, those old motors should not give any problems, once updated.

In general, you'll find Alumacraft very stable boats. Built like tanks. The stretch-form construction (part of the reason for avoiding the removal of the corners) along with the heavy gauge material make for a lifetime boat.

As for my current Alumacraft, it's a Deep C, so built a bit different than your FD. The Deep C is a 15 footer with a ton of freeboard.

In the case of the FD, it's rated for 4 people, but that's a bit misleading. The actual capacity is based on weight.
For 1959, the FD is weight capped at 725lbs. That includes motor, fuel, gear, and people. You'll have to do the math and the balancing.
*also, at 725, beware that your 4-stroke choice doesn't eat up the majority of your capacity. By the time you counter balance bow weight with everything you can throw up there, you'll have no more cap for friends. lol
My friend you have a lot of really great information on these classic Alumacrafts.........I have 2 model E car topper's and a 1968 Yukon model which is registered as 16ft in length. Can you tell me much about this model..........I don't see much published on it really............Thanks and God Bless!

My friend you have a lot of really great information on these classic Alumacrafts.........I have 2 model E car topper's and a 1968 Yukon model which is registered as 16ft in length. Can you tell me much about this model..........I don't see much published on it really............Thanks and God Bless!
I'm afraid I don't have any hands-on experience with the Model E, Wayne.
I can wax poetic on a few things found in the public domain, though...
The E ran from 1947 to 1983 mostly unchanged. It's a 12 footer rated at 12hp. Basically a Model A with two feet chopped off. There was one oddball version in '58 and '59 when they offered the EL which only differed in it's redwood seats. Generally speaking, all the E's are pretty thin using .040 stock to ensure the light cartopper weight. Still using the stretch-formed construction, though. A forward deck was an option.

I know even less about the Yukon. That's getting a little out of my vintage lane, I'm afraid. I know that it ran through much of the 60s and 70s with several variations. I think the basic hull was also the platform for some of their other runabouts like the Maricaibo, Bel Mara, Tampico, etc. ...but I'm not certain.

If you want to post up the serials, I might be able to glean some more specifics like production numbers for that particular year. ('68 had a couple of variants)

Hope that helped. The old factory catalogs are still available on BRPs website and a few in fiberglassics library, too.

https://www.alumacraft.com/us/en/owner-zone/catalog-archive.html

Thank you my friend! That gives more than I already knew about these 2 model boats! Thank you for you reply and the historical links on these boats.............God Bless you my friend!

Really great and rare find there you have! I have only seen one other at least here in Florida. My brother also has a 1955 model FD which he has owned since 1968. Between the 2 of us we have 4 50/60's era Alumacrafts. They are really amazing well built!!
Where in Florida are you? Would be cool to get some of these together some day.

If going with a new four stroke, remember weight ! An older two stroke that has been freshened up will be just as reliable, faster, less weight, and less expensive even after an overhaul with new paint ...and the " cool" factor is out of this world !! My boating career started in the late 50's, numerous outboards ran for years with very little maintenence and with todays better quality oils and fuels, those old motors should not give any problems, once updated.
Well you will be happy to hear I just purchased (1 hour ago) the cleanest (probably) Johnson 2 stroke on Facebook. It's a 2001 30hp. I have been going back and fourth for a while now and decided a new 4 stroke just isn't right. This engine has been extremely well taken care of and has a ton of new parts all done by a Johnson Technician.
If going with a new four stroke, remember weight ! An older two stroke that has been freshened up will be just as reliable, faster, less weight, and less expensive even after an overhaul with new paint ...and the " cool" factor is out of this world !! My boating career started in the late 50's, numerous outboards ran for years with very little maintenence and with todays better quality oils and fuels, those old motors should not give any problems, once u

Attachments

• 20240322_201507.jpg
    20240322_201507.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
Well you will be happy to hear I just purchased (1 hour ago) the cleanest (probably) Johnson 2 stroke on Facebook. It's a 2001 30hp. I have been going back and fourth for a while now and decided a new 4 stroke just isn't right. This engine has been extremely well taken care of and has a ton of new parts all done by a Johnson Technician.
Congratulations! Absolutely beautiful motor!! A gem of a find!!