My new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultra353

Reaction score
My `68 12ft smokercraft that i decked out has served me and my 2 kids quite well the last 2 years but the boat is just getting too small. So like the rest of us I`ve been looking into back yards, next to old barns and overgrown fields for a "new" bigger boat. Me and Craigslist have been like best friends for the last 4-5 months now, everyday looking for something that will fit my tite budget. Looked at a few but some where better off in the scrapyard or this guy thinks its a gold mine. So i finally found IT! Exactly what i wanted, I had to drive in a horrendious snowstorm but i new if i didn`t go right away it would be gone. Original owner 1985 14`6 long, 67" wide, deep v Starcraft Seafarer. Came with `69 johnson 20 hp, 27lb minn kota, trailer with 2 new spare rims/tires, and anchor. The boat was put away in a polebarn in 2001 and hasn`t been used since. I got it all for 550. Now i`m not bragging(well, maybe a little) but if you keep looking you can find some great deals out there. So now my project begins!

Sounds very similar to mine, except for the year (mine's a 1995). Can't wait to see some pictures and see what your plans are for it.

Here are some pics. Its pretty dirty from sitting for so many years as soon as it gets warmer out ill powerwash it . I started to sand down the trailer today but thats all i`ve done so far.

Attachments

• 100_0256.jpg
    100_0256.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 100_0258.jpg
    100_0258.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 100_0262.jpg
    100_0262.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,541
  • tin boat.jpg
    tin boat.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,541
Thanks for the nice comments ! Its probably going to be a slow build as i`m going to have to really think about the layout, as this will probably be my last boat for awhile. The trailer needed new wheel bearings/ lights and paint. The boat just needs a good cleaning, The motor while i haven`t started it yet should run fine. Its got 125lbs compression on each cyl, I`m going to get a carb kit, new impeller , New points and change the lower unit oil and maybe a Used prop as this one is chewed up a bit.

Nice score ultra. I picked up a '66 Johnson 20 late last year and coudn't be more pleased. It should push your boat quite well, with 2 people + gear in my 1440 I see speeds in the low to mid 20's. Love the boat, fished out of one of those growing up, very nice boats.

Latest posts