My new project - 2-1

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get discouraged, everyone has to learn at one time or another ... and you'll be able to pass your mistakes on to the next generation so they don't have to make them! I'm with Russ, cut weight by going with 2x2 instead of 2x4's and I'd go with 1/2 or 5/8 plywood too. You're doing fine, keep up the good work, and soon you'll be the envy of every Gator!

I guess this is the end. I put a hole in my boat about the size of a quarter on its side corner. I was loading it on my bull crap trailer. Tied it down and it wasn't aligned correctly on the bunks and was on one of the bunk screws. So I tighten the traps and I hear a metal ripping sound :(. There you go... the messed up part is I was trying to figure out what I can do to the trailer because using it was a hassle, I got stuck in the water putting the boat in the water and not to mention I submerged the boat taking it out the water. I have a winch that I bought but no winch holder. I am starting to think the 4150 I paid for it wasn't a good deal at all, it cost me a boat.

I had a boat that I ended up putting a few holes in, one was more like a gash about 1 1/2" wide by 3" long. A lake I fish has sharp rusty submerged sign post. Like the ones for stop signs. I got cut my aluminum hull on it. I used a 2 part fiberglass resin to fill the holes and it worked fine. Glop it on and sand it down. If your are painting it even better you will never know it's there.

excuse me, I officially checked, it is way bigger than a quarter. Major set back, I was going to get a "bigger" boat and "bigger" trailer but... got laid off so I guess I am stuck with this and have to make do with what I have. I just need ideas on how to fix this. Creative and "cheap" ones :(

fromCamera1001.jpg

fromCamera1002.jpg

fromCamera1003.jpg

fromCamera1006.jpg

Just throw ideas at me. And the trailer, I need to fix it to be suitable for my boat. I can't have stuff like this happen anymore. I will post pictures of that and I need ideas on that. I am at a total lost with trailers because I've never dealt with them before this.

I would try the fiberglass resin. Some guys call it Lion hair or kitty hair. Some kind of hair. First get a piece of wood and put it behind the hole and tap the other side with hammer to flatten the aluminum out. Then sand around the hole, just to rough up the area around the damage so resin will get a better bite.

resin isn't going to hold to aluminum. get yourself a piece of aluminum larger than the hole . use 3m 5200 around the edges to seal it and rivet it over the hole on the inside. get a larger piece and do the same thing on the outside. should be good and water tight after it sets up .

I had a hole in my small jon boat where it looked like someone had dropped it on some rebar; about the size of a quarter. A friend of my son-in-law's came over to do some welding on his jeep a couple of weeks ago and he had just gotten some aluminum welding rods.I told him OK but it was going to be tough because the skin is so thin and sure enough the first thing he did was burn 2 more holes in it. He had also brought over some diamond plate though (which he let me use some for step plates on my trailer) and he took a piece of that and welded it to the bottom of the boat. It looks like crap and I haven't tried the float test yet but it looks solid and I'm going to put JB Weld or some 5200 on the inside just to make sure. But, it's not a show boat anyway. It's made to throw in the back of the pickup and fish small lakes I have access to (without alligators, thank you!!!). I'll snap a couple of pictures and post how it looks. Beats a hole in the boat!!

Mike

Not familiar with the 5200, but i have used the JB to seal up spots. Had to redo my plug-hole which was out of round when I got my old Lowe, and most recently I converted the old livewell to a battery box. THe plug in it of course had a large narrow grip on it so I ground that off and then filled the threads with JB to seal them.

Good luck with that hole, overlaying it with aluminum inside and out sounds right ot me, but there's lots more experience here than mine.

Everything will be ok. I would recommend Take a break,Step back and rethink your plan.Once you have decided what you want then start with what MUST be done to get you on the water. You should approach this project as if you will not be re-doing anything, that just costs too much. Slow way down it seems like your all over the place. Look over the trailer What is good and what needs to be fixed. The bunks are important so make sure they are smooth and solid. Are the wheels solid -Berrings? get that winch mounted so it works correctly.

The boat - patch the hole and fill it with water until it doesn't leak fill it all the way. Figure out ways you can mount things without putting any holes on the boat. My boat is completely decked and all of it is removable (in case i put a hole in it.)
Take it slowly - it took me all summer to do mine and it doesn't have a motor of any kind so basically I have a tricked out rowboat.I'm pretty sure People are laughing but you can only do what you can afford. This year I have upgrades planned but I started with it being usable and comfortable.

Finally If you don't know what to do ask- These guys will help. look over all of the projects and try to find something that you want and then repeat what they did.

I just hate to see you discouraged with a project that should be fun or worse - hurry and have it sink. you are welcome to pm me if need be I will try to help good luck and I hope you know I am only trying to help. :p

Ok, I guess I will be starting a new tread because I got a new (to me) trailer and new (to me) boat. I traded what I had in and ended up getting the boat I thought would be to big when I got this one :( I got a trailer that fits the boat and the boat it self after trade for $300 so I think got a good deal (especially since the boat had a big hole in it).

fromCamera-711.jpg

fromCamera-710.jpg