my tinboat and fishing days are over!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you got some of your gear back and you've decided to keep on fishing! 8) .

I fondly recall quite a few years ago when my sister and my 15 yr old son sunk my 15' Ram-x Coleman canoe. Swamped it right up to the gunwales (thank goodness for floatation foam). The "rescue" boat's outboard wouldn't start so the staff members went after them using a paddle boat. The sight of them coming in straddling the front pontoons on the paddle boat (plus towing-in my canoe) is a memory that I sometimes remind them of, even though they don't care for me to remind them, lol. :)

Poolie & Jason (and Jay) - it was great meeting you guys today. Like Poolie said, it's great putting a face to a name.

Now if only the fish would have been as easy as Jason's rod & reel... not to mention the rod/reel I lost a few months ago. Oh well - glad to be able to help out AND I'm glad I could see the reaction on Jason and his son's face when I pulled that rod up. I was scared to death I was going to break the line (8lb)... I'm not used to using anything smaller than 15lb so I knew I had to be CAREFUL!!! Jay (Jason's son) told me I needed to be casting to a different spot so on the first cast to where he told me go - I felt something tug... I thought it was a fish so I didn't say anything at first, but then it started to feel funny. I was thinking maybe Jason didn't set the drag because it was vibrating with every pull (I've got hold of the line now) so I decided to bring in the least resistant side first - up comes his chartreuse/green finesse worm with the bullet weight and hook still in place (note to self - don't use that color again... :lol: ) As I started pulling the other side it got tight and I just knew that line was going to break and I was going to feel terrible if they saw I had the line and then watched it disappear again. Jason said "try it from a different angle".. so I put the trolling motor on a lower setting and luckily when I got right on top of it I felt the silt give way a little bit. I tugged the line ever so lightly hoping for the best and that's when it happened... I looked at the depth finder to see the depth (5 ft) and I could actually see the reel embedded in the silt, but the rod was coming up (you know how a limb looks on the fish finder when you troll over it). I pulled a little more and the next thing I knew I had the rod tip in hand and jerked the reel out of the silt. The rest is history.

Now after they left I decided to fish a little more... guess what smart me does... drops the alphas ito and the Gloomis rod in the water - but guess what - that stinking thing floats! It kept getting away from me while I was trying to get it with another rod, as well as the 30mph gusts I was trying to fight. Guess the cork on those rods are actually real cork and floats like they are supposed to - but the whole rod floated - not just the handle.

Either way, and long story short - it was a great day. A few fish, new friends (in person) and the look on the faces of father and son when the combo came up! Happy Easter!

Glad you all had fun....

I have had my fishing gear in my truck for the last three days, just hopin' to get away
for a few hours....doesn't look like that is going to happen this weekend. At least reading
a good story about the water gets me closer to it.....

I completely agree. I'm glad you guys are safe, but if creating memories is what you set out to do...well, mission accomplished. You guys will be talking about this until the end of days. Now get back on the saddle and start catching some fish with your boy.

I used to have a shop teacher in high school that we called Bemo....because he always used to tell us "Be mo careful next time"...:)

old_boat_new_smile said:
I am sorry to hear about your boat. I am glad you and your son are okay that.

The same thing happened to me yesterday.

Dang!

Sorry to hear, but glad you're around to tell us!

Glad all are OK .

Russ , I lost a Penn 750SSM on a 7' ugly stick at the 604 rig out of Port O'conner last season can ya help me out brother . The water depth is 90' and it's on the south side of the well head . :D For real .
This is my brother in law hooked up to a cobia at the said rig where I lost my gear [ Taking a Picture ]
P8070459.jpg

Here is a Navy Rescue swimmer buddy using the rod and reel that abandoned ship that beautiful day.
P6220413.jpg

that sucks man... I hate you lost a good friend too.. I went back with Brine where I lost my setup, and he couldn't see it with his aqua view... so it's now going to be a freshwater reef.... but I'll still try and catch it every time I go back

I thought about it today while me and Tiffany were there... water temp at that point across the ramp was 71*... I might wait a little while longer til the water gets upwards of 85*

russ010 said:
I thought about it today while me and Tiffany were there... water temp at that point across the ramp was 71*... I might wait a little while longer til the water gets upwards of 85*

Well, I certainly don't want to encourage you to drown, but I'm sure that grass will be alot thicker by then. I've got some 80# braid on a surf rod at the house, that I could tie off to you with.

Plus, we could ductape the aquaview to you so there would be another set of eyes looking from the boat. I'll give two sharp tugs if I see it.

You might be a redneck if...... :LOL2:

In all seriousness, let me know and I'd be happy make the trip. BTW, my son kicked overboard my custom on Saturday, while I was unhooking a 7.4# bass. I grabbed the tip to save it from sinking and broke the last 14" off the end of my rod. :evil:

But I did save the rod!

this must have been the weekend for breaking rods... I broke one of my el cheapos (thankfully) when I snagged a jig in the tree... put the tip up in there to bust it loose and busted about 3 inches off the tip. Took my lineman pliers and snipped it down to the next eyelet - but it was not the same the rest of the day. Went to wally world last night and picked up a $20 Quantum Torsion 6'6" MH... dang if that thing don't feel good... not to mention the sensitivity with braid

russ010 said:
this must have been the weekend for breaking rods...

It was also the weekend for drownings on my home lakes.

One drowned and another seriously injured when the drowning victim was thrown from his boat and entangled in a rope that somehow wrapped around his feet. No kill switch on the motor and he was drug behind the boat. The injury happened when another fisherman tried to jump in the runaway boat but was also thrown out and run over by the outboard.

That happened Friday.

Saturday, 3 guys swamp their boat and two of them drown in 8' of water within eyesight of the ramp.

The wind was fierce here for the last three days and the lakes were extremely dangerous. Couple that with a flood of out of state boaters here for the crappie spawn that are bound and determined to not let the weather ruin their vacation. Most of them have no big water experience and no idea what happens on these lakes when the wind kicks up.

It was a sad weekend.

wow.. I was a little hesitant when I first started out Saturday morning because there was some pretty good breaks in the water... I went head first into them because I started taking on water going to where I wanted to start fishing... needless to say I turned the motors off and pulled out the life vests just in case.

The only thing that I can think of is that either the two that went in within sight of the ramp could not swim or hypothermia got to them.

Even though it was 85+ degrees here this weekend, the water temp is still in the mid 60's. That sounds somewhat warm until you are actually in it.