my tinboat and fishing days are over!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ben2go said:
1/2 ounce weight just above a large treble hook will work for finding poles and tackle boxes.If you wanna try for the battery use a grapple style anchor and rope,of course.I'd try to nab it all.I just hate to loose stuff in the water.If you have divers goggles, you can float those on the water, and possibly see whats on the bottom.That is, if it isn't to deep.

That is one of the nastiest lakes in Georgia... that's one of the few lakes I wouldn't personally eat fish out of.... never know what you're going to pull out with 3 eyes

But where he lost his stuff at is pretty messy on the bottom, and a large grapple is all that would really run through unless you could pick it up with a deep crankbait. A treble hook on that lake would cost you the treble hook and the weight above it.

Don't feel too bad man - I lost a $500 setup a month or so ago because I nabbed it with another rod I was throwing with a crankbait on it and sent it flying into the water.

ben2go said:
1/2 ounce weight just above a large treble hook will work for finding poles and tackle boxes.If you wanna try for the battery use a grapple style anchor and rope,of course.I'd try to nab it all.I just hate to loose stuff in the water.If you have divers goggles, you can float those on the water, and possibly see whats on the bottom.That is, if it isn't to deep.

anyway you might be able to find it with a fish finder?

russ010 said:
haha... believe me, all it is is point and shoot. We just take pictures of the fish the guys catch and post them along with the results.

If you haven't seen my site - it's https://www.bassanglersofnorthgeorgia.com... All of the background pictures are one's that I took from Lathem Reservoir. If you go to the Results page, then at the bottom of the Yahoola results, you'll see the pics that I took - well one of them. The one of me was taken by another guy with my camera.

ok well I dont mind bringing my camera down and getting some good shots in.. you are doing me a favor so I dont mind what so ever!

russ010 said:
ben2go said:

That is one of the nastiest lakes in Georgia... that's one of the few lakes I wouldn't personally eat fish out of.... never know what you're going to pull out with 3 eyes

But where he lost his stuff at is pretty messy on the bottom, and a large grapple is all that would really run through unless you could pick it up with a deep crankbait. A treble hook on that lake would cost you the treble hook and the weight above it.

Don't feel too bad man - I lost a $500 setup a month or so ago because I nabbed it with another rod I was throwing with a crankbait on it and sent it flying into the water.

well I am not to happy about hearing about how bad the water is!

don't worry about the water.. people swim in it all the time.

I've got a fish finder, but I very seriously doubt we can find it like that, but I'll sure enough try. I'll see if I can't find my grapple - we might be able to get that battery back with that.

How tall was this clip seat that you are talking about?

A 1432 is not the most stable boat in the world and most of them flex pretty good in the middle. I've spent several hours in one that a buddy owns. They don't have much freeboard to them, either. Lean a little far one way or the other and you are going to start taking on water. A high center of gravity from a raised seat is going to compound this problem greatly.

I wince every time I see photos on here of small, narrow boats with pedestal seats, many on top of decks that have been built at gunwale height. It's an accident like you experienced waiting to happen.

I can even put water over the back corner of my 1448 if I lean on it.

Glad you are okay other than the lost equipment.

MAN :shock:

yea not cool at all, glad you was able to get him and you out, Thank The Lord-you a prayen man Jyphotography, if not I would be now [-o<

I've got a 1436 and at times I use a merc. 6hp on back with it fully loaded to the weight, I'm 260# and my son is 110# and never ever had a problem. The only thing I can think of is wave wake or from u stubbling maybe it tipped the side in to take on water.

Dude... that is scary. I'm glad you guys are okay. And you're right, fishing is a great way to spend time with your son. Some of my fondest memories of my grandfather were sitting together fishing. So don't give up.

I'm planning on swinging by the ramp around 4pm on Saturday as well so hope to see ya there.

Poolie

What you need my friend is a larger boat. My theory to what happened was when your seat broke sending you to the very back corner it allowed the transom to sink under the surface and take on water. It was probably filling while you were trying to gain your footing and by the time you did it got enough water inside to keep swamping water weighs in at 8lbs/gal.

If you want to keep your boat you will have to balance it better. If your 240lbs, plus the 50-60lb battery and trolling motor are all on one side and your 70lb son is on the other you will have balance issues. Try putting the battery on the other side of the boat attached to the trolling motor with jumper cables for a test run and see if it has better balance. You would be amazed how much stability can be gained by balance. Also I would lose all of the seats and everything not needed until you figure it out better.

In the end I am so glad all that was lost was replaceable. Take your time and figure out how to make it work. It might be a simple adjustment, it might be a gigger boat. I personally love my deep v. It has alot of freeboard. But whatever you do, do not let this thing beat you. Your son is watching!

hey guys, thank you for all the encouragement! I really do not want to give up.. Just do not know where to go from here. I might try and trade or sell and get a different boat. I really wanted to make this a project so I dont think I am going to give up so easily!

I really think it was a faulty chair and to much weight in the back. It happened so quick i cannot recall everything..

but thanks guys! I cant wait to meet some of you on saturday! maybe we can even find my pole!

Glad your both safe adn you had enough wits about you to make sure you stayed that way.

It's none of my business and I dont really want to know or pry. IF I was in your situation my main concern would be the leason I could teach my sons from this experience. Its one of those defining moments in a kids life.

Hanr3 said:
Glad your both safe adn you had enough wits about you to make sure you stayed that way.

It's none of my business and I dont really want to know or pry. IF I was in your situation my main concern would be the leason I could teach my sons from this experience. Its one of those defining moments in a kids life.

agreed. He said he def. aint going on that boat again. but he handled it better than I did that is for sure!

Wow, Sorry to hear about your troubles. But like everyone else said, Don't give up.....Once you get started fishing, and catch those first few descent fish....you'll be hooked. And remember, You haven't absolutely gotta have a boat just to fish....There are alot of guys that exclusively fish from the bank. So don't let the boat issue stop you. :beer:

I CANNOT BLEEPIN BELIEVE IT!!

Russ010 RETRIEVED MY ROD AND REEL FOR ME!!! my sons pole was old and I really wasnt not worried about that one, and figured the battery would be **** near impossible, and was not a big deal either!

I showed him where I was, and he started casting out.. about 10 minutes he caught a line and started pulling it in... then he was like...were you using this, and he shows me my bright green worm I was using! I was like are you kidding... and then he started pulling the rest of the line and it wasnt looking good like it was stuck... he then took it from a different angle and up comes my pole!! I WAS IN SHOCK!! ahha

needless to say he made my day, and I am thinking I over reacted when I started this thread....

Im coming back!!!

Russ, Poolie and I sat there and talked before that! these are great guys and it was good to meet you all!

thannks a lot guys!

Its off to look for a bigger boat!

Dude... that's AWESOME!

Glad to get a chance to meet you and put a face to a name. Start watching Craigslist. I've seen several nice 1436 jons on there.

Russ, you da man!

Poolie

First and foremost, I'm glad you and your boy are safe.
Now having said that...

You need to laugh about it a bit.
It will forever be a family memory, and if you can laugh about it, and build a good story around it ( I have heard rumours that fisherman have been known to 'embellish' a bit!) you will be able to gather your grand kids around the fire and tell them about that day when you and thier dad either....

Hooked a giant and it was so big it toppled the boat..
or
A major toad got so mad at your attempts to fool him with a bright green worm (who the hell uses bright green worms anyway? [-X ) that it 'pushed' the boat over...
or
There was a boat full of some fine college girls out for a spring break trip that was having engine trouble and you, being the manly sort, decided to help them out, and when you arrived two of the girls jump from thier boat to yours, causing a balance issue, thus, sending you all into the lake (you could even add something about it being an unusually hot spring day and the girls were all wearing T-shirts and possibly no undergarments!)

But whatever you do, make it a grand memory, and not a disaster story!

:mrgreen: