navigation lighting ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwd

Reaction score
What do you guys use for lighting at night? running lights. I got a pair of small driving lights installed now and they arent very bright. I picked up a pair of 3"x5" driving lights tonight. I just wanted to know if anybody else runs those lights and if they are happy with them before I install them on the boat

Thanks
Steve

I use a set of rectangular headlights I picked up at walmart. On top of that I have the clamp on red/green for bow and white for stearn to keep coast guard and local dnr police happy.

Yeah I got the dnr required lighting on the bow and stern. and a hand held spotlight.

Steve

I'm thinking mounted driveing lights are Illegal on boat..They blind everyone else on water ..Spotlight is legal somewhat! See this esp what mole2 says https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/18975-driving-lights.html#b cva34

Most places lights are not permitted to be used in the way you are planning. They are sometimes mounted on boats and are labelled 'docking lights' which is their intended and legal use. I have been night blinded while boating by a numbskull with a handheld spotlight so please use them cautiously.

Maybe I am not understanding the boating law on lighting at night.
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Documents/BoatDigest.pdf
But the way I understand it I can light it either figure 1 or 2. And I was thinking figure 1a was the use of a spot light? I was going to use these lights instead of a spotlight? I do know that there is a lot of bowfishing ppl around here and their boats are lit up like a stadium and moving too but not that fast. trolling speed maybe. Alot of guys run this type of light on their boats instead of having a hand held spot light.
https://www.basspro.com/Optronics-BlueEye-Beam-Deck-Mount-Marine-Spotlight/product/858/
I use the spotlight to look for landmarks or follow the shoreline around to look for the dock when I think I am close.

Steve

My standard nav lights plus docking lights. Seem to work okay.

BTW, don't throw out those white spray paint caps, they make great 360 degree lenses!

Attachments

• DrivingLights.jpg
    DrivingLights.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 328
  • DrivingLights1.jpg
    DrivingLights1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 328
First off headlights are useless for a boat unless turned down and used as a fishing light while adrift or anchored. They may have limited use in docking.

I agree with some of the primise of that article but overall I disagree with it.

A spotlight is just that, a spotlight. It is not a shine light. Use it to spot things. There is a reason that navigational markers are reflective. Use your spot like the big riverboats do. They do not shine their lights continually, they only do it to take bearings or when they spot something.
Most travel should be done by your natural night vision but there are times you need the spot. I aready mentioned the chanel markers but when you spot an UNLIGHTED object you need to light it up. It may be a snag, derilict boat or worse a boat in distress. Spotlights are essentail on the big riveres I have fished and maybe more so on narrow channels.
Never spot lighted boats or houses or campsights.
Lastly unless your searching for something like a jug or fish noodle lost object ect. there's no need to use your light like a searchlight. It's not 1942 and you're not in the Slot searching for Japanese Cruisers.

Latest posts