need a motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatapiece

Reaction score
well i have this 12 foot jon boat!!!!! I need to get a motor for it and i just dont know what hp motor i should look at?
Im guessing the boat weighs about 60 or so pounds and dont know anything else about it all i know is that the brand is "hercules" i have no information this boat. Does anyone know anything about this boat brand? thxf

Welcome aboard =D>

Somewhere inside the boat there should be a plate that has all the info as far as max. hp and max. load for that boat. I dont know as much as most of these guys but I wouldnt think you would need any more than 20-25hp to push it around nicely.

well thank you for the reply!!!!! i can say that this boat is not the best looking and it is very narrow i was thinking more of like a max of about 5 hp but i dont know that much at all. And it dosent have a max hp plate anywhere on the boat i have looked. thx

Most 12' jons are rated up to 10hp typically if i'm not mistaken, So anything between 5 and 10 would do ya fine....obviously depending on how well you want it to move along.

thx!!!!! i was thinking about a 5hp but it is very narrow. Do u think i am over doing it with a 5hp? Does anyone know about this brand of boat? "hercules".

No, If your wanting an outboard, Your gonna want at least a 5hp, Otherwise you'd probably be just as well off using a transom mounted trolling motor. Never heard of that brand or name before, but I would say(judging by other models standards) you've probably got a 1232 if it is "very narrow".

ok thx yea its pretty narrow. lol where do u guys get all of your boat supplies and stuff from? ex. seats. Oh and your probbly right 5hp would be good. how fast do u think it will go boat weights about 60 pounds? oh lol i dont think i want a trolling motor at all. just the cost of batteries and stuff. thx for the reply keep replying i have tons of questions.

I'm sure your right bubba. I was thinking of my 16' rated for 50hp and kind of scaled it down. sorry whatapiece I dont want to steer you wrong.

ok thx appreciate it!!!!! could i do like plywood floors and carpet them and stuff like that im completly new here and want some help on how to do things like everyone is doing. What do i do when people make fun of my boat?

Your boat is rated for up to a 7HP motor.If you're looking to buy a new motor check out the Briggs N Stratton 5HP 4 stroke outboard.They can be had new for $600 to $800 and come with fuel tank and fuel line.Also check with the areas where you will be using the boat.They may have banned 2 stroke engines or if they allow 2 strokes they may have to be EPA certified.One of my favorite lakes banned 2 strokes with no exceptions.They lost a lot of business and I doubt it help the environment much,if any.

Ignore them; take a look at the post a picture of your boat thread. You will see all types of boats and mods. and I’m willing to bet that every boat owner here is proud of their rigs. My point is if you put the work into it and are happy with what you did, then who is anybody to laugh.

hey!!!!! how do u know that my boat is rated for that hp? did u find a website? what about a used motor? thats a little pricey.

thx ur right who cares what they say!!!!! what are some good outboard brands and how fast will a 5hp outboard go my boat is very light.

whatapiece said:
hey!!!!! how do u know that my boat is rated for that hp? did u find a website? what about a used motor? thats a little pricey.

Used motors are great, if the person selling it will run it for you.Gamefishers are great if they run correctly and you can do the maintainece on them.I have one and so far I think I have $20 in it.It was a freebee from a guy that thought he knew everything about boat motors.He couldn't get it to run so he gave it to me. I called a friend that is knowledgeable and owns a boat dealership/shop.12' Hurcules should have a 30 or 32 inch floor, measured on the inside.I think the boat is simular to the Sears Gamefisher Jon boats.

Latest posts