Need help selecting a trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLatsFishin

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Boaters/Fisherman/Liars. :twisted:

I hope this is the right forum for this post.

I have a Tracker Grizzly 1448 with a mount on the bow for a trolling motor, and I'd really like to have a trolling motor on that mount. My problem is I don't know jack about trolling motors.

So, before I drop $1200 on a new trolling motor, I figured I would reach out for some input.

Some details:
I fish almost exclusively in salt water flats.
I do not have a fish finder just yet, but in my research I have found out that the trolling motor and GPS on the fish-finder can "sync" up. I'm not sure if I would ever need that option, but I'm open to having it :)
The fish finder I am looking at is the Humminbird 859ci
Water depths can be anywhere from 3-10 feet depending on tides/location.

What trolling motor would you recommend?

If you have a Humminbird Fish finder and you want it to sync up with a trolling motor, you've pretty well made your selection already.

Humminbirds only sync with Minn Kota motors. And to sync, you'll need to have a electrical steering motor. So that will put you in the Terrova, Powerdrive or new Ulterra motors. The key feature will be you need the I-Pilot Link feature added to any motor to sync with your GPS/fishfinder.

The Ulterra is new and I don't have a whole lot of information on it. The Terrova is available in a higher thrust than the Powerdrive and has an easier deploy/return system. But it's also more expensive.

Good luck!

Dont worry about the link. There a ton of great features without the link with the gps trolling motors (MG pinpoint and MK iPilot) like anchor mode, auto pilot, heading lock, cruise control, and route record and playback. IMO the way to go is humminbird and motorguide pinpoint Xi5. Best of both genres.

That is Motorguide pinpoint gps 55# 45" shaft. DONT pay MAP prices. CALL somebody and ask for a better price. Its standard practice and worth the phone call. I just paid around 1100 for the model listed above after thorough research and couldnt be happier. BTW i have a 898 hd si which deals can also be found. I believe i paid 799 for that awhile back

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411682477954.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411682477954.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 826
I have a grizzly 1448' 14'.

I bought a 12v, motor guide at Bass Pro on sale for under $350.

It's 40+ pounds thrust foot controlled.

Whips that 14' grizzly around without any problem at all.

I recommend a low cost simple no fuss DF too. If your running flats, all you need is a bottom reading.

My .02

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I haven't seen the Motorguide you mentioned Gitzet, but I will look again.

The idea behind the humminbird 859 is to split the cost with a friend, get an extra set of all required cables, mounts, etc, and move it back and forth between our 2 boats.

I wouldn't mind saving a bunch of money and getting the motorguide, but I like the idea of the feature packed GPS units. Guess I'm gonna have to stew on this one a few nights haha.

I don't see the TM on the BPS site anymore.

I have the Pro Series 46 - see pic.

If I recall, it was just over $350 with tax.

Check out the pics.

TM1.JPGTM2.JPG