Need help with a tough decision.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikingbear8

Reaction score
So I have some money saved up that I planned on dropping on a new engine for my boat. Right now I have an 89 Sears 14'. Its a little rough but it gets me on the water. It has a 57 johnson 5hp on it now and I was going to upgrade to a 2013 Mercury 15hp 4-stroke. Now here is the dilemma. A nice boat just popped up on craigslist for about the same price as the new engine i want. Its is a 1440 Lowe Rover, with a 15 HP Evinrude. Now this would be a big upgrade for me as far as the boat, trailer, about the same on the trolling motor except mine is more powerful but older and tiller, and has good electrical run already. It looks like he has taken great care of it but I am just worried about unforeseen issues, especially with the engine. Of course if i get the boat I can sell mine so it will end up being cheaper, what would you guys do? I have attached pictures of my boat and the one for sale
photocopy_zps1b8d165d.jpg

00B0B_hduGQHETJ1K_600x450_zpsdf3a1a70.jpg

thats a decision you really need to make...

looks like you have done alot of customizing on your boat with the deck and all.... if you like the way it fishes, get the new motor...(i would look for a used one...there are tons of barely used, like new ones out there way cheaper than brand new, but thats my opinion)

or--

if you just want something "new", that appears to be a really nice little rig...(sometimes weq get tired of what we have and just want a new start)...keep in mind, when it comes to decks, rigging, and customizing in general, there probably will be something on the new boat you dont like and will want to redo...

also, you are comparing a new 4 stroke, to an older 2 stroke... completely different motors..

trolling motor, thats your decision again... the new one looks to be one of those powerdrive mounts, i know zero about them...they just seem to be cumbersome as all get out to me...you could always just swap them out and put yours on the new boat...

My boat I recently picked up has the same trolling motor and I came from years of using a tiller trolling motor. It takes some time to get used to, but I will tell you this... I will NEVER go back to using a tiller trolling motor again. Foot control is awesome. I don't know where you are located or what you fish for, but in the summer months I fish almost exclusively for bass and it's just awesome for bass fishing. Like I said, takes some getting used to, but once you do, being able to have your hands free while you troll around puts your lure on more fish. Now the bad news... foot pedals for these powerdrive units seem to get funky over time. I'm real handy with fixing stuff, and my pedal started malfunctioning on me, so I thought I could get in there and clean up the contacts... well, it's not serviceable at all. The contacts are housed in a circuit board- not serviceable. You can buy parts and replace the circuit board though. Other than that, it's just a killer setup.

On the decision of your boat or the craigslist package, can't help you there. What I will say is that the small hp 2 stroke motors are pretty bombproof, and it looks like that package was well taken care of. Age on a 2 stroke motor wouldn't really concern me if it was well taken care of. That said, a brandy new 4 stroke motor is something you could have a very, very long time. Good luck in your decision!

I'd keep your boat, get a used 15 hp and a foot controlled troller. But that's just my opinion. I don't fish out of your boat, but it sort of looks like my own setup...which I love.
As was said before, once you go foot control you will never go back.
But do what you think is best for you.

From the pics the tan one looks a lot nicer than the top one and if you are getting it for around $2k (Google-fu'd Merc price) then it appears to be a deal.

The bear is in the details though (you're post is lacking a lot of them). The tan one looks how my 1448 was setup when I bought it and it was a very comfortable fishing machine. Get some decent seats and make sure it's not loaded down with 3/4" plywood and it should perform well.

I'd have cash in hand and meet him at the ramp for a test drive / fishing / buying trip. If it suits your needs better than the other buy it and equip it with the best parts of both hulls.

Return the top one to stock or at least get rid of the too high deck and sell it to recoup some expense.

Sorry for lacking details so much guys I am a rookie boater. I went with the Lowe, over the engine. I should have mentioned that I dont really care for my current boat all that much haha. I didnt do the majority of that work, I bought it already done up like that. I isnt too bad it got me out on the water but it was a bit narrow for my liking I have already fallen off a few times always to immense laughter from my friends upon hearing about it, and way underpowered. I am definitely extremely excited about the foot control on the trolling motor as I am bass fishing 99% of the time. And as said before i can sell my old boat and make it an even better deal all around and most importantly make the old lady a lot happier 8) Thanks for the help guys I am sure I will have another dumb question soon

i think youll be happy with the new rig...

looking at the pics, it appears the old boat is on a much better trailer...might wanna consider swapping...id much rather a heavy duty galvanized trailer over a light painted one....

and ill second the comment about the 2 stroke 15hp being bombproof....easy to work on/cheap to have worked on, run forever if taken care of, parts are easy to find...

=D> =D> =D>