Need suggestions how to attach bow mount troller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russo

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to mount my Minn Kota foot controlled bow mount so it wont rip right off and become my new anchor
I have a Lowe 1448 and the front deck is fairly thin aluminum.
Packed directly underneath the metal is a ton of styrofoam (so bolts with huge washers here are ruled out)

ehart0824542kn1.jpg

I'm thinking of covering the whole factory deck area with 1/2" plywood and attaching it using a bunch of mollies or toggle bolts
Then in turn attaching the base of the Minn Kota with more of the same

What would you guys do, or what have some of you done in the past?
thanks!!

(sorry if this should be in the jon boat mods 2forum)

I had to make an unplanned trip to the dealership Saturday afternoon after mine came off while running down the lake. :shock:

It came from the factory with some cheap swaged aluminum sleeves through the deck. The only way to fix it (without cutting a huge hole in my deck) was to use the rubber T nut type deals from Motorguide.

7364.JPG

It's hard for me to tell from your picture, but the bottom of your trolling motor mount needs to be flush with the rail on the bow of your boat. You can buy the aluminum channel type brackets that weld onto your deck and front rail for bow mount motors. I think Gatortrax sells them.

Your going to have to modify the front deck anyway to get the trolling motor flish with the top of the boat.
What I would do is, use 3/4 plywood on the deck, then cut a 2x6, carpet it if you want, lag screw it to the plywood and through the aluminium deck. then do the same thing around the outside base of the trolling motor.

To make mine flush and secure,went the plate aluminum route.I think it's 7 by ten with alittle piece welded to the deck,going to put the plug in the little peice later on.sydney and project 274.jpg Cost around 20 bucks up here for everything.

great ideas, wish i had a way to weld aluminum.

i was planning on using 2x6's to build a base to raise it to a good height
the lag bolt idea is great but i have like a foot of styrofoam under the aluminum
i dont want to muck it up too much so any connector where i have to get at the bottom wont work well

i guess im worried im just making a bigger mess to get ripped off and end up at the bottom of a lake
seems like toggle bolts will rip right through the thin metal

edit: im a knucklehead, i could just use like a dozen stainless steel self tappers to attach the plywood maybe?
anyone think that wont be strong enough when flopping my motor into the water?

Latest posts