Never ending search for perfect boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly what my dealer did. i ordered it on dec. 1.they waited till the boatshow in feb. to bump up their orders,then waited till the end of feb. to even place the order.i told them i wanted it before the easter break when i ordered it. sure,sure,not a problem.i got my etec and the wife got her blue boat.win,win.

I have been a way for a while. Thank you for all the input. A lot of you guys either never leave a tiller, or go back to one in time. I am not a huge fisherman I am more a ride around in a boat. I fish cause it's a reason to own a boat. The 1648 SC that some of the big box stores have for sale. keep calling my name. but the 15' riveted Jon with an outboard are pretty cheep but seem a little small for a lazy day on the Lake.

bcbouy, what I take away from you is don't stop shopping until you find the right deal, glad you did.

I can fit up to an 18' Jon but I think a 16 wide or 14 wide is really about as large as I am after this time.

And 3 boats and a Kayak, I have 2 Stand Up Paddle Boards cause only weak willed people have 1. And I want a small powered boat and a small sail boat cause sail boats are cool.

I think I can let go bigger water to trade off for shallow water. I am having a hard time letting go of the idea of sitting relaxing motoring along. Those of you from around here, some of you from Eastern LA, A 1648 SC as a runabout, over a similar sized tiller boat?

Bob9863 said:
No matter what you buy, you will wind up wanting something else, it happens to all of us.
The only real option is 3 boats and a kayak to cover every situation that you want to fish. :lol:

If you up that to 6 boats and a kayak then I am on board. I have determined that I could get by with the very basics being the following:

A good sit on top fishing kayak
A small, cartopper type jon boat, fits in the pickup bed
A medium sized, 16-18 foot or so multi-species aluminum hull
A shallow running fiberglass center console for salt flats fishing
A big walkthrough windshield tin boat with a full enclosure and downriggers for trolling cold-water species
A big pontoon boat for the sandbar parties and BBQ's
A 30 foot+ bluewater boat with a cabin

That is the bare minimum and if I keep thinking I could come up with 3 or 4 more categories that I absolutely must have.

Yeah, that'll do it....except...you left out a couple of sailboats. A small, single or double handed for ponds and just fun. Then, a 30 ft. or so for day cruising.

You can't go around the world in those, but you won't have time since you will be playing with your other boats most of the time.

rich

richg99 said:
Yeah, that'll do it....except...you left out a couple of sailboats. A small, single or double handed for ponds and just fun. Then, a 30 ft. or so for day cruising.

You can't go around the world in those, but you won't have time since you will be playing with your other boats most of the time.

rich

I just got rid of the sailboat, last year. 38 foot Graves made in Marblehead MA. Too much work! Replaced it with the 30' bluewater cabin cruiser! No one wants to sail anymore :cry:

I started my gun safe with a list like jethro's boat list, and well now I need another gun safe.
I am trying to avoid a fleet of boats that I never take out. My SUP fleet is already larger than I can take out on my own, also 12 foot long boards are huge hard to store in the house.

If you buy a 16' side console jon boat, from a big box store, how much engine would you put in it?

Is there someone here who will try to convince me to not buy a side console and stick with a tiller?

If I save my pennies on one thing and spend them on another what should I skimp on and what should I spend on?

P.S. https://www.akmccallumco.com/ seems to have some good deals and some nice set ups I like but NC is a long way form Houston.

Well, I forgot that you lived in Houston. I am back now from TN (Summers) and have TWO side console tinnys here.... temporarily.

One is a 1652 G3 Camo side-console with a 50 hp Johnson 2 cycle and the other a 1756 Lowe side console with a 50 hp Mercury 2 cycle.

I can tell you that the 1756 Lowe feels a LOT larger than the 1652 G3, though the 1652 G3 is better for my saltwater needs. It should run a bit shallower. I am considering adding a Jackplate and Smart Tabs onto the 1652.

If you need a quick ride in either one, that can be arranged.

I've owned a ton of boats over the years. I really liked the center consoles a lot, but my boats were mostly small and not too wide (14/16/17 foot Carolina Skiffs and a couple of 16 ft El Pescadors), so a CC can be tight at my too large girth.

Let me know. Or, if you just want to walk around in both/either of them, that can be done easily enough if you come out near Willowbrook Mall, where my boat-barn is.
rich

p.s. Incidentally, BOTH of my side consoles started out as open, tiller style boats. In the case of the G3, I had an older Lowe 1648 that had serious hull issues. I scrapped that one and bought an open G3 VBN hull. I had the side console removed from the Lowe and moved over to the G3, along with the trolling motor; seat pedestals and a few other things. Frankenstein had nothing on this one.

On the Lowe, when I bought it, the former owner showed me that he had added the console. It also started out as an open tiller boat.

I WOULD SAY GO WITH A CUSTOM.I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL OVER THE YEARS AND WAS NEVER REALLY HAPPY. FROM 1436 ALUMNACRAFT TO WAR EAGLE JUST TO NAME A FEW. BIGGEST ONE I EVER HAS WAS A 18 FT ONE UNTIL I BOUGHT THE ONE I CURRENTLY OWN. A CUSTOM 2272 COMMERCIAL HULL THAT IS CURRENTLY MY ON GOING PROJECT. COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. TONS OF SPACE AND IT CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.

Attachments

• IMG_6802.jpg
    IMG_6802.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,800
jrl5678 said:
If you buy a 16' side console jon boat, from a big box store, how much engine would you put in it?

Is there someone here who will try to convince me to not buy a side console and stick with a tiller?

If I save my pennies on one thing and spend them on another what should I skimp on and what should I spend on?

My rule with motor size is at least 3/4 of the rated capacity. If the boat is rated for 100hp, get at least a 75. And do your best to max the horsepower if possible.

A tiller boat is awesome for all that space, but if you ever troll then you'll want remote steering. I also find smaller, lighter boats are challenged with weight distribution if they are tillers.

My only real firm requirement from now on is power tilt. I would make sure whatever motor I got had power tilt. Of course if it ends up being a tiller that is less important to have, but I would not get a tiller boat.

richg99 said:
One is a 1652 G3 Camo side-console with a 50 hp Johnson 2 cycle and the other a 1756 Lowe side console with a 50 hp Mercury 2 cycle.

I can tell you that the 1756 Lowe feels a LOT larger than the 1652 G3, though the 1652 G3 is better for my saltwater needs. It should run a bit shallower. I am considering adding a Jackplate and Smart Tabs onto the 1652.

richg99, Thank you, It took me longer to respond than I meant it to be.

I have a question about motors, do you feel the 50 is about the same even thought the 17 is bigger and heavier? a 16 side-console seems to be the right size one for me. I think a tin boat for ease of maintenance. I kind of just want to putter around in a boat with enough motor and a comfortable seat.

With their 50's, both boats run around 27/29 mph on the GPS. That isn't totally flat out.

But, it is plenty fast enough for me. I know some guys have a "Need For Speed", but I'm older and wiser now. Getting to a fishing site ten minutes quicker holds no alure anymore.

It's the width that holds the most value for me. Wider is slower but more stable. If I was young and had better balance, then I might feel differently.

This thread made me see that I'm not alone. Collecting firearms, guitars, and even motorcycles pale in comparison to wanting boats. When I lived on the water I had 80+ feet of dock/seawall to fill but luckiny I no longer have space to indulge myself with more than one boat.

Of course that doesn't stop me from cruising Craig's list every week looking... just looking. I love my 10' Lowe, I don't need another boat, I don't want another boat :)

NOT!

Perfect Boat. IMO it is difficult for anyone to know what the perfect boat might be until you have been on a boat for a while. Then, you know what you like, don’t like, wish you had, and wish you didn’t have. Short of that, feedback from places like TB is invaluable.

The perfect boat is obviously going to be one that will meet someone’s needs. What should be even more obvious is if you don’t have fun using the boat, then something is wrong. Everyone’s needs might vary. Here are mine:

My boating conditions are fairly homogeneous. With rare exceptions I will be at lakes with improved ramps. Fishing (trolling) is the primary use. I’m lucky that one boat can meet my needs.

Capacity/stability: More is always going to be better. Generally means a larger boat.

Comfort: For my use that means remote steering. Good seating is obvious. Canvass for protection form sun/rain. Gear storage kind of falls in this category too. I don’t want to have to load the boat every time I use it, so the more I can permanently keep on the boat the better. Again, a larger boat is usually going to deliver more comfort.

Ease of use – This is a high priority for me. I need something that I can launch/retrieve single handedly. I don’t want to have to struggle with this. Want it to be easy to tow & easy to store. This is a conflicting need because in this case a smaller & lighter boat is better.

Reliability is extremely important. All require preventive maintenance. More I can do myself the better, though I am not a knowledgeable mechanic.

Upkeep: I don’t want to worry about or have to spend a lot of time polishing, waxing, buffing (actually I don’t want to spend any time doing this). Don’t want to use fenders. Don’t want to worry about dock rash. For me this means Tin boat all the way.

Speed: I’m not entering any races, but of course want to get there with reasonable speed.

Cost: No one wants to pay more than they have to. For most of us this is going to be a major driving factor. Mrs Ldubs in her wisdom says don’t sacrifice what you want to save a few bucks (within budget of course). She is right as usual because doing that is likely to cost you more in the long run.

I think my current boat is a pretty good balance to meeting my overall needs. Sure there are much nicer boats in the same class, but not enough better that I would want to change. All of this of course doesn’t include all of the tweaking/accessorizing that seems to never stop.

PS: As a side story, I bought my current boat at a boat show. The dealer had run an extension cord to a 4’ fluorescent light that he hung up under the canvass top. Mrs Ldubs, not being familiar with boats, asked him if the “big light” came with the boat. The guy was completely dumbfounded. I wish I had a photo of the look on his face. Anyway, I guess I don't need a 4' fluorescent light on my "perfect boat". Haha

Proverbial question. Try to find a boat that is good at what you do most of the time.
Personally speaking a jon boat is out because it is not seaworthy enough, not enough freeboard. Open boats are out because I fish in bad weather. Same with rear tiller. I like a boat with a windshield and canvas and a wheel. I can control both engines aft when fishing.

I also have a 16 foot cataraft and 3 canoes for rivers. I am looking to buy a drift boat. The search never ends reallly.

I want an old school run about. I want to sit in a comfortable chair with my Girl and tool around the water.
I think a tin boat because a little less maintenance on the hull, I am not super in need for speed. just enough to get out of the way if I need to.
If I could find something wider than a 16/48 SC for a good price I would get a wider one. HP is the expensive part and I am not sure where I a going with that.
One of our sponsors has a couple nice cushion back support bench seats for a Jon.

Do you guys have feelings about trailers?