New 2-stroke motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be retiring in February, moving back to Knoxville, and getting another boat. I had a Grumman 1542 for years with a bulletproof 1988 30-hp Evinrude and I'm sold on 2-stroke engines.

Although I'll try to find a good used one, I want to leave all options open including buying a new 2-stroke motor. It seems like all manufacturers are going or already have gone to 4-strokes and I'm trying to find out who is still building them.

Deadmeat said:
I'm going to be retiring in February, moving back to Knoxville, and getting another boat. I had a Grumman 1542 for years with a bulletproof 1988 30-hp Evinrude and I'm sold on 2-stroke engines.

Although I'll try to find a good used one, I want to leave all options open including buying a new 2-stroke motor. It seems like all manufacturers are going or already have gone to 4-strokes and I'm trying to find out who is still building them.

If your not worried about absolutely having a new one, thats one of the great things about a 2-stroke, you can have one freshly rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I like the Evinrude E-Tec's.Check with the areas you will be taking the boat for their rules on 2 strokes.Some lakes in my area have banned 2 strokes,no questions asked.If we're caught with 2 smokes it's permanent ban and a $500 fine.

Etec.........

Great motor. Has all the advantages of the 2 stroke power, as well as the advantages of the 4 stroke power. May not be the absolute greatest motor for performance bass boats, although the Etec HO (high output) is up there with the Mercs on speed, but it makes the best all around motor in most other cases. Can troll as well as any four stroke. Burns as clean as, if not cleaner than 4 strokes, yet doesn't have oil changes, timing belts etc that the 4 strokes have, and even though the DI (direct injection) technology is a bit more complicated than carbs, it still has fewer moving parts than 4 strokes. Had I the money, I would be getting one of those for the back of my rig. But, since I don't, I am looking for an older 4 stroke, and will then kick myself later when I decide I don't like it.

i like the quitness of the 4 stroke .if the e-tec is as quiet as the 4 stroke i would git one of them. can`t aford a new one guess i will have to wait till there is a good used one for sale :)

papasage said:
i like the quitness of the 4 stroke .if the e-tec is as quiet as the 4 stroke i would git one of them. can`t aford a new one guess i will have to wait till there is a good used one for sale :)
Quieter even. At least at certain RPMs. They had a few displays at the Atlanta boat show this year, and boy was I impressed. They had some set up in a tank of water, with a key switch, and you start and listen for yourself. by the time you walk 4 feet away, to where the console would be, you really couldn't hear the dang thing. I think the sound of the indicator stream hitting the water was one of the loudest noises the motor made at idle. Now, at a higher RPM, I am not sure how they compare to the 4 strokes, but at that speed, which is really when I would care (want to communicate when trolling, can wait till I get to my destination to talk if I am just running from one bass hole to another), they take the cake.

I am with you. Were I to afford it, I would go for it, but I just cannot put that kind of money down. Be great to put one on the back of the 20 footer I want to build next year, but 10+ grand for just the motor just won't be in the cards, no matter what magical jobs may open themselves up......

Latest posts