New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First coat of Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat by Total Boat is on. View attachment 117290View attachment 117289 A gallon is going to give me a easy 4 four coats. The 4 inch foam rollers start to fall apart after 10 minutes of use but does not get into the primer. They just sort of melt. Afraid to use anything with a nap it could in up a mess so I will stick with the foam. Went ahead and used the 200 thinner from Total Boat and glad I did. Primer went on smooth and covered the seams and rivets well. It is going to be a long day.
Nice looking paint job, looks like it laid down extremely well.

Love this rebuild. Gave me the confidence I needed! What specific paint did you use? I was planning on Total Boat Wet Edge for mine.

Took a good look at the boat this morning. Paint looks good. Thinking I will go with just one more coat and call it good. Believe I will save the rest of the paint for future use. The bottom paint goes a long ways. All my roller marks disappeared. I am going to let the boat set for seven days to allow everything to cure. No point in screwing up the paint job. The stern and the side ribs is going to be painted black after the paint cures so I can tape it off.

Any reason you went for AF paint? You plan to leave it in the water?

Went with the AF due to being easy to apply and durable. The paint went on smooth and covered very well. The durable time will tell. Kinda plan on leaving it in the water am retired and live about 5 miles from Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. Plan on fishing at least three times a week. Plus have a lake about 10 miles away called Dripping Springs well known for Bass fishing. Can't underestimate the local city lake either. Original owner caught this out of the city lake. IMG_1740.JPG Each step that I complete on this rehab of the boat the more excited I get about fishing.

Took a good look at the boat this morning. Paint looks good. Thinking I will go with just one more coat and call it good. Believe I will save the rest of the paint for future use. The bottom paint goes a long ways. All my roller marks disappeared. I am going to let the boat set for seven days to allow everything to cure. No point in screwing up the paint job. The stern and the side ribs is going to be painted black after the paint cures so I can tape it off.
Any more than two/ three coats of paint can cause issues...best to stick with two or three tops!! Awesome job!!

Just couldn't leave it alone. Got up early and wife helped me take the boat out of the shed. Got it on my stand and sanded the whole **** boat down with 400 grit sandpaper. Then wiped it down real good with Alcohol. Even took the leaf blower and blew the entire boat down. Returned boat to garage shed and gave her a third coat of paint. Worked out great. Took a lot of paint but boy is it smooth. Plan on letting it sit now for at least seven days to allow for proper cure time. Realize this is not car but knew a final coat with proper prep work would look sharp. Now am happy with the results. Finish coat looks sharp.

Just couldn't leave it alone. Got up early and wife helped me take the boat out of the shed. Got it on my stand and sanded the whole **** boat down with 400 grit sandpaper. Then wiped it down real good with Alcohol. Even took the leaf blower and blew the entire boat down. Returned boat to garage shed and gave her a third coat of paint. Worked out great. Took a lot of paint but boy is it smooth. Plan on letting it sit now for at least seven days to allow for proper cure time. Realize this is not car but knew a final coat with proper prep work would look sharp. Now am happy with the results. Finish coat looks sharp.
Thread worthless.gif

Wife locked up the shed and took the key away. She said I can have the key back in seven days. I guess i'm done playing. Told her I needed to take some pictures and all I got was a hand salute. Will Post pics in seven days. I am banned from my own shed. I know better than to argue with her. I like my daily breakfast of three eggs and three pieces of bacon with dry toast to much to argue.

Wife locked up the shed and took the key away. She said I can have the key back in seven days. I guess i'm done playing. Told her I needed to take some pictures and all I got was a hand salute. Will Post pics in seven days. I am banned from my own shed. I know better than to argue with her. I like my daily breakfast of three eggs and three pieces of bacon with dry toast to much to argue.

Most restaurants will make that for you.....but you might need to sleep there!!

Gonna be pretty! Ohh..........tell her to add some buttered grits to that breakfast menu! 😊

Means that new paint job will get the full week to cure without being monkeyed with and the back gets a rest before the next round. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

BTW, I wish you hadn't mentioned bacon -- now I want some. Just got back from a trip and the fridge is kind of bare. :)

Gonna be pretty! Ohh..........tell her to add some buttered grits to that breakfast menu! 😊
Yea, you can crumble up the bacon and add it to the grits w/dash of Tabasco Sauce & Black Pepper. Don't forget to rinse the dishes to show your appreciation for the lovely considerations & generosity she consistently offers. :)
Bless you both,
Sincerely ................

Latest posts