New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it's wise to bail on project vehicles once you realize it's worse than you thought. Think that's the situation you're now in. Unless the boat has sentimental value, I'd scrap it and find another one.

Sometimes it's wise to bail on project vehicles once you realize it's worse than you thought. Think that's the situation you're now in. Unless the boat has sentimental value, I'd scrap it and find another one.
The boat does have sentimental value it was my wifes brothers boat. Even so it is not looking real good at all. It is still fixable but will require a lot of work and tender loving care.

Took yesterday off and thought about it. Sentimental value and the amount of work done so far I am moving forward on the little boat. The hole in the hull is no big deal but I know the transit leaks. Have two 650k kits and plan on using that on the seams. Clean everything up really good. Then a position boat so when I apply the goop I can lightly heat it up with propane torch and let the stuff flow into the seam. Saw a video on this procedure awhile back and was impressed. Only one way to find out if it works and that is to do it. Talked to a old fart who did the same to his boat about 5 years ago and he claims no leaks. I also noticed his boat had some patches on it. Looked like a thin piece of aluminum riveted to both sides of hull. He claims that the patches have held for over five years. 3m 5200 and two pieces of aluminum riveted in place. Seen videos on this procedure and had my doubts about it. Apparently it works. I also have a large can of gluvit and plan on using that on seams and rivets inside of boat. One thing for sure I have a lot of work to do prior to priming and painting.

Last edited:
Took yesterday off and thought about it. Sentimental value and the amount of work done so far I am moving forward on the little boat. The hole in the hull is no big deal but I know the transit leaks. Have two 650k kits and plan on using that on the seams. Clean everything up really good. Then a position boat so when I apply the goop I can lightly heat it up with propane torch and let the stuff flow into the seam. Saw a video on this procedure awhile back and was impressed. Only one way to find out if it works and that is to do it. Talked to an old fart who did the same to his boat about 5 years ago and he claims no leaks. I also noticed his boat had some patches on it. Looked like a thin piece of aluminum riveted to both sides of hull. He claims that the patches have held for over five years. 3m 5200 and two pieces of aluminum riveted in place. Seen videos on this procedure and had my doubts about it. Apparently it works. I also have a large can of gluvit and plan on using that on seams and rivets inside of boat. One thing for sure I have a lot of work to do prior to priming and painting.
No one ever said that love is rational. I think it’s the right choice to proceed forward, Sonny1… once complete, that little boat will have a “spirit” that no new or ordinary boat could ever touch! Or few will understand. But you will!

With the amount of work and money going into this rebuild been searching for a weld shop that is local and willing to weld on aluminum boats. Found a shop close by that specializes in aluminum welding. Guy says he will not weld on aluminum boats. So I made him a offer. I supply all material for the job and pay him $50.00 dollars for the use of his shop. Paid him a visit yesterday. Shop is located in his backyard and is not much to look at. He has a miller 350 which is pretty much beat up. He was very reserved about the deal. Asked if it was OK to run a few beads and he agreed. Afterwards His attitude changed and we talked for well over a hour about welding. So now I need to order some sheet aluminum.

I was going to say not to give, up, all you need is a couple of beads.

Glad you found someone local with a welder you can use!

Pace yourself, take your time, enjoy the refurb process. Before you know it, it will be spring and you will be on the water enjoying the boat with your smiling wife with you.

Planning on running a cold pass just a hair over size of patch. So that when patch is in place it rest in the middle of a ground flat bead. Then tack and bang so we get a good fit up. This way we can run a solid bead around the patch. Plan on using 1/16 material made of the same material as boat. should be a clean watertight repair. By running a cold pass for the patch material to rest on should help in welding and preventing future cracks along the leg of the weld.

Busted my butt today. Overcast skies kept the temperature down. IMG_1720 - Copy.JPGIMG_1719.JPGIMG_1718.JPG Some idiot along the life of this boat used carpet glue to seal the rivets and seams. Between that and the truck bed liner in the aft section it has been a ton of laughs. We are getting her done. After I get the entire inside wire brushed we are going to clean the boat with MEK. Very familiar with the stuff and will wear all required gear. Then a rinse with alcohol. More to follow

Busted my butt today. Overcast skies kept the temperature down. View attachment 115973View attachment 115974View attachment 115975 Some idiot along the life of this boat used carpet glue to seal the rivets and seams. Between that and the truck bed liner in the aft section it has been a ton of laughs. We are getting her done. After I get the entire inside wire brushed we are going to clean the boat with MEK. Very familiar with the stuff and will wear all required gear. Then a rinse with alcohol. More to follow
When a repair is needed, people often use whatever is at hand, just to get the job done quick !!

I have two kits of 650k and a can of gluvit. 650K for the outside along with heat gun and the gluvit is for the inside. Plan on going over all the seams with the 650k and position boat so the 650k can seep down into seams when I heat it up. Nothing easy or quick about it. In the meantime cleaning up the quick fix is a pain. Life goes on.

MEK seems a bit extreme. Just wipe it down with paint thinner. Much safer and cheaper too.

MEK compared to paint thinner is like comparing apples to oranges when it comes to cleaning. Cost is not much difference. It was only $4.00 dollars more per gallon. MEK dries slower than paint thinner and will clean up any and all residue from the carpet glue someone tried to use as a sealant. Have used MEK in several shops in the past. Very aware of the dangers but with the proper gear worn it is not that bad. A follow up with alcohol will leave the boat spotless.

With the amount of work and money going into this rebuild been searching for a weld shop that is local and willing to weld on aluminum boats. Found a shop close by that specializes in aluminum welding. Guy says he will not weld on aluminum boats. So I made him a offer. I supply all material for the job and pay him $50.00 dollars for the use of his shop. Paid him a visit yesterday. Shop is located in his backyard and is not much to look at. He has a miller 350 which is pretty much beat up. He was very reserved about the deal. Asked if it was OK to run a few beads and he agreed. Afterwards His attitude changed and we talked for well over a hour about welding. So now I need to order some sheet aluminum.
I got lucky on FB , finding a whole heap of alum. (2.5' x 6',7',8' along w/many small squares 2' x 2' and the like, mostly .125 / 1/8" and a few thinner) from a guy an hour 1/2 away. You might try looking for used scrap there !!
Good luck and God bless,
Sincerely ................

Been busy working on the motorcycle doing some simple maintenance and upgrades Plan on riding it to the heart doctor this morning. Found a folding cane so I can strap that to the sissy bar. After starting the wire brushing on the inside of the boat have decided to build a simple frame to support the boat. Saw one on here built out of two by fours and figured on copying that idea. It would help out a lot for the remaining work that needs to be done. Plus I can use it later on for stowing the boat upside down and covered. Nothing fancy just a simple frame.

Well here it is nothing fancy. Only 19 inches off the ground but will work for wire brushing, washing with MEK, Applying sealant to seams and rivets, and painting. Will fit in garage shed so painting will be a breeze. Now we are ready to rock and roll. View attachment 116137
That looks just like my boat did a couple weeks ago !! Good job and good luck.
God bless !!
Sincerely .................

Well here it is nothing fancy. Only 19 inches off the ground but will work for wire brushing, washing with MEK, Applying sealant to seams and rivets, and painting. Will fit in garage shed so painting will be a breeze. Now we are ready to rock and roll. View attachment 116137
We have made similar restoration rigs for our boat work.........:)

Attachments

• IMG_1548 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_1548 - Edited.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts