New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have made similar restoration rigs for our boat work.........:)
Sometimes I feel like a fool. I'm a carpenter all my life and never thought of this. I've been dealing w/ saw horses. They don't stay open when sliding the boat in position while siting on one. It will fold the saw horse or tilt it over. Then, when I turn the boat over , the horses are not stable enough to hold the weight w/ the shoulders extended.
This was a great idea. Simple, low cost and sturdy. I always had to find someone to help me lift my boat onto the saw horses. Anyway, it's painted now and looking at this simple idea humbles me.
Great idea boys.
Sincerely ....................

I tried saw horses with the same results. Then tried a long well built picnic table. The boat sat to high. Saw the post by Wayne Roberts and built something similar if not the same. It works great. Lightweight and places the boat at the right height to work on and flip. Made it so it will fit in my garage so that should make painting a lot easier.

Sometimes I feel like a fool. I'm a carpenter all my life and never thought of this. I've been dealing w/ saw horses. They don't stay open when sliding the boat in position while siting on one. It will fold the saw horse or tilt it over. Then, when I turn the boat over , the horses are not stable enough to hold the weight w/ the shoulders extended.
This was a great idea. Simple, low cost and sturdy. I always had to find someone to help me lift my boat onto the saw horses. Anyway, it's painted now and looking at this simple idea humbles me.
Great idea boys.
Sincerely ....................
Well sometimes we miss the fly on the end of our nose and that is all of us from time to time...:)

I tried saw horses with the same results. Then tried a long well built picnic table. The boat sat to high. Saw the post by Wayne Roberts and built something similar if not the same. It works great. Lightweight and places the boat at the right height to work on and flip. Made it so it will fit in my garage so that should make painting a lot easier.
My old Alumacraft in the picture is ready for painting also but I am holding off till the fall as it has been way too HOT, rainy and humid down here in Southern Florida so just being patient waiting for drier less humid weather. I am going to spray it with green Zinc Chromate tp give the boat a flat marsh green final color and the Zinc Chromate is formulated for aluminum being first used in WWII aircraft assemblies.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
No rain or doctor appointments so the last two days got in some good wire brushing. Wood stand is working out great. Found out the bow is welded and came from the factory like that. It has been extremely hot. 75-80 dew point with 90 plus degree heat. Today it is supposed to break 117 with the heat index. I get out at daybreak and work until 11-12 to avoid the heat. This morning started out at a cool 85 degrees. Very happy with the progress made in the last two days.

No rain or doctor appointments so the last two days got in some good wire brushing. Wood stand is working out great. Found out the bow is welded and came from the factory like that. It has been extremely hot. 75-80 dew point with 90 plus degree heat. Today it is supposed to break 117 with the heat index. I get out at daybreak and work until 11-12 to avoid the heat. This morning started out at a cool 85 degrees. Very happy with the progress made in the last two days.
You making great progress in tough conditions. No doubt it is going to a fine boat with all the restoration effort! Keep plugging along.............the finish line is in sight!

Found a few areas that no matter what grinder or drill I use can not get in to clean the rivets off. So today we start with the hand brush. Could have removed the seats but decided against that. The seats are definitely part of the structural integrity so am leaving that alone. Took a piece of the goop somebody used on the boat and placed it in some MEK. The MEK melted it quickly so this may work to my advantage. Now I know that if there is any residue after wire brushing the MEK will remove it.

Let me start off with a heat index of 115 degrees. Yes it is that hot. Got to looking at this todayIMG_1724.JPG Well did a bit more than look. Brackets on the sides are going to be removed and then a massive clean up. The brackets need to be removed before installing new wood. Thinking I will bolt them in since wood is bolted in . Harbor Freight sells the same bolts that were used in stock set up. The plate in the middle runs over the top to the outside of the stern. Were the engine mounts. Plan on planing down some red oak to about a quarter inch and then routing edges over in a nice bevel then bolt down via the four holes both inside and out. This should not only look sharp but be very functional.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 0
This was shot. IMG_1730.JPG Wildlife was killed during this process. A couple hundred ants and three black widows are now history. Will go back in later on with a solid red oak board. Friend of mine says he can make new tags for me. He is into the computer laser stuff. Save the old ones and he says they can be copied. I am good with that. Tools of the trade. IMG_1726.JPG

Got the two side brackets off with no problems. Thinking I will use bolts when I install them. Found some Hardware that comes with washers, rubber o rings for lack of a better term with locking nuts. Should work out rather well when I am ready for installing the new transom. Thinking about taking a sheet of 1/16 aluminum and cutting it to fit in bottom section IMG_1729.JPG Leave about a 1/8 of an inch from transom and first rib. After I fill in dents and fix hole take sheet and a whole lot of 650k and basically glue it in place. A few well placed rivets should fix it up nicely. I do not trust this area because it is really beat up. Welding a sheet in would be a bad idea due to location. Leaving a 1/8 gap from transom would give me a good area to seal the transom up. Not sold on idea yet but thinking about it. Will need to drill hole in sheet for drain plug area.

Done with wire brush job. IMG_1731.JPGinside is just as clean.IMG_1733.JPGIMG_1732.JPG Have had several beers today. Grandkid showed up to help me move the boat to new location so I can clean it up and not disturb the bird feeders. Do not want any runoff affecting the little birdies. He showed up and handed me a 24 pack of coors and just got a good laugh. Big bad biker type and has to move boat so it doesn't affect birds eating from run off? Well anyhow this has been a long hard road getting to this stage. Got first wash done and this works great IMG_1734.JPGOnly used soap and water but got her cleaned up. A lot of red mud coming out of ribs tells me this boat spent a lot of time on the South Canadian River. Next is a complete wipe down with MEK Followed by another soap wash and rinse. More to follow. For now very happy with progress and glad wire brushing is over.

Done with wire brush job. View attachment 116429inside is just as clean.View attachment 116433View attachment 116436 Have had several beers today. Grandkid showed up to help me move the boat to new location so I can clean it up and not disturb the bird feeders. Do not want any runoff affecting the little birdies. He showed up and handed me a 24 pack of coors and just got a good laugh. Big bad biker type and has to move boat so it doesn't affect birds eating from run off? Well anyhow this has been a long hard road getting to this stage. Got first wash done and this works great View attachment 116437Only used soap and water but got her cleaned up. A lot of red mud coming out of ribs tells me this boat spent a lot of time on the South Canadian River. Next is a complete wipe down with MEK Followed by another soap wash and rinse. More to follow. For now very happy with progress and glad wire brushing is over.
That's a GREAT JOB of wire brushing!! Well done!

This was shot. View attachment 116345 Wildlife was killed during this process. A couple hundred ants and three black widows are now history. Will go back in later on with a solid red oak board. Friend of mine says he can make new tags for me. He is into the computer laser stuff. Save the old ones and he says they can be copied. I am good with that. Tools of the trade. View attachment 116348
How come your not drinking Bud Light?........:))