New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how well does bondo stay put on aluminum? I got one dent in my Mirro which I'm pretty sure can hammer and dolly out, but want to skim coat the outside. It's near the bow though so it'll sooner or later take a knock I'm sure.

So how well does bondo stay put on aluminum? I got one dent in my Mirro which I'm pretty sure can hammer and dolly out, but want to skim coat the outside. It's near the bow though so it'll sooner or later take a knock I'm sure.
Not exactly bondo per say. The Total Boat fairing compound works. It only has about a 15 minute work time after that it is difficult to spread. I cleaned up the area real good with a stainless wire brush and then cleaned with alcohol seems to be stuck on the aluminum really well. The fairing compound is a 50/50 mix and turns green when mixed. I believe it is going to work out they do recommend a coat of primer after it cures completly.

Not exactly bondo per say. The Total Boat fairing compound works. It only has about a 15 minute work time after that it is difficult to spread. I cleaned up the area real good with a stainless wire brush and then cleaned with alcohol seems to be stuck on the aluminum really well. The fairing compound is a 50/50 mix and turns green when mixed. I believe it is going to work out they do recommend a coat of primer after it cures completly.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Didn't answer my question though. Does bondo stick pretty well to aluminum or not? I have a can of automotive filler. Would rather not spend money I don't have to for fancy boat bondo.

I could take your comment the wrong way and get irritated but that would really screw with my progress with the mental health adviser. I have never used automotive filler on a boat. I can say that the Total Boat fairing compound has a different texture vice auto bondo. When cured it has for the lack of a better term rubberized feel to it. They say it stays flexible and will not crack.

No offense intended. I just saw the word bondo and figured be a good time to ask. Good luck with your mental health. Think a lot of us could use that kinda help these days.

No offense intended. I just saw the word bondo and figured be a good time to ask. Good luck with your mental health. Think a lot of us could use that kinda help these days.

I think Bondo would adhere to aluminum. Why not. Will it perform as well as the stuff made for boat hulls, I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if they throw the word "marine" on a product label just so they can charge more. Not saying that is happening here of course.

I worked part time in a collision shop doing there welding for them. Spent some time learning how to do simple body work and had some good teachers. Agree about the word marine being misused at times. The fairing compound that I am using is nothing like the bondo used on vehicles. A well known boat shop on Lake Eufaula recommended Total Boat Fairing compound. They are helping me out on looking for a small 2 cycle outboard. Good people and they have a cool shop.

I worked part time in a collision shop doing there welding for them. Spent some time learning how to do simple body work and had some good teachers. Agree about the word marine being misused at times. The fairing compound that I am using is nothing like the bondo used on vehicles. A well known boat shop on Lake Eufaula recommended Total Boat Fairing compound. They are helping me out on looking for a small 2 cycle outboard. Good people and they have a cool shop.

Experience is always the best teacher.

I used Total Boat's penetrating epoxy on a homemade sound cover for a portable generator that sat on the front of our travel trailer. I was very happy with their product.

Yesterday was beautiful weather. Had two doctor visits so boat work did not happen. Rain all day today and into the night go figure.
You can't let the doctor interfere with a great day for fishing! Once they get a hold of you they never let you go...........it's like marriage.........until death do we part! :))

Have one 650k kit left. Plenty to finish the sealing job. Next will be working the fairing compound. Got my new pad for the circular sander and sandpaper. Going to take my time and fill in the dents on the bottom of the hull. Have not been in a foot race to get it done and believe taking my time and doing the best job I can will pay off in the long run. Way behind my estimated completion time but I can live with that.

At my ripe old age of 71, I have concluded that any estimated completion time I give for a project is pretty much meaningless. Younger folk don't appreciate what a drag it is to get down on your knees and realize you forgot something you need, like the razor knife sitting on the workbench. 🙂

Funny what a loooong way up it is now from lying on the ground. Easy enough for me to get on the knees or shinny under a car, but getting back up? Man that takes 10x the effort it used to! I HATE when I forget something, so I tend to grab everything but the kitchen sink and throw it in a shallow box.

Done with all the holes and ribs. Letting it set up. IMG_1757.JPG It is already 78 degrees and the first chance of rain today is around three. By then the 650k should be cured enough. Did all the ribs and seams inside and out. May sound strange but the boat seems to be more solid after sealing. My main concern is guarding against possible leaks. When I power washed the boat a lot of dirt was under the ribs and it took a lot to flush everything out. Now it is water tight and after about 5 coats of primer inside and out it all should be good to go.

Done with all the holes and ribs. Letting it set up. View attachment 116867 It is already 78 degrees and the first chance of rain today is around three. By then the 650k should be cured enough. Did all the ribs and seams inside and out. May sound strange but the boat seems to be more solid after sealing. My main concern is guarding against possible leaks. When I power washed the boat a lot of dirt was under the ribs and it took a lot to flush everything out. Now it is water tight and after about 5 coats of primer inside and out it all should be good to go.
That's wonderful sonny1 !!! You're well on your way to enjoying a pleasant fall day out on the water !! Congats !!

Maybe next fall. I still want to run the fairing compound and smooth it out so when I paint it looks good. Then planning on installing wood over the seats. Have a high dollar planer and plan on taking the wood down to 3/8 along with a smooth router edge. Have a lot of Red Oak left over from a cabinet project. Transom will be Red Oak with 1/8 inch cork glued to the backside.

Looking good Sonny!

I think you are right about them feeling more solid after sealing. I have experienced the same thing.

I believe the sealant connects the parts more solidly and over a larger area. It dampens that thin, "tinny" sound. It feels more solid when going through chop and wakes, at least to me.

The boat probably moves exactly the same, but hearing a solid THUMP when hitting a wake seems better than that hollow CRASH sound they make, at least in my mind.-

Pour-in or spray foam, dampens vibration even more. I did some fill foam in my current project, and I'm very impressed with the end result. But not every boat is well suited for a bunch of foam. Depends on the build.

Last edited:

Latest posts