New Lowrance Eagle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello & Welcome.................................... Is this your first Rodeo regarding electronics?

Lowrance makes a great unit. My favorite, but price is sometimes a bit high when not on sale.

I made the jump to Garmin, due to pricing, and they have gotten better and better. Now I have a Livescope, and it's fun to play with. I think they are the leaders in that field, but I'm guessing that Lowrance will catch and surpass them, but maybe not at that price point.

How much for the unit you are looking at?

The unit I was looking at from Lowrance is about 800.00 after taxes for the 9in display. But now I am wondering if I could get an older Garmin unit for the same prive and if that would be a better move. I noticed today that Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 74sv Fish Finder/Chartplotter with GT54 transducer is on sale for 350.00. I think that too small a screen for me. However now I wonder if the 9 in screen might go on sale....

The unit I was looking at from Lowrance is about 800.00 after taxes for the 9in display. But now I am wondering if I could get an older Garmin unit for the same prive and if that would be a better move. I noticed today that Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 74sv Fish Finder/Chartplotter with GT54 transducer is on sale for 350.00. I think that too small a screen for me. However now I wonder if the 9 in screen might go on sale....
If you go Garmin get the GT 56 transducer if you can swing it.

I just read that article and have to wonder if the writer is connected with Lowrance. There are a couple glaring misrepresentations of the Garmin units in the article. In my eyes that makes the article kind of worthless. I’m not saying Lowrance is an inferior product because it’s not, it’s a fine product.

I just read that article and have to wonder if the writer is connected with Lowrance. There are a couple glaring misrepresentations of the Garmin units in the article. In my eyes that makes the article kind of worthless. I’m not saying Lowrance is an inferior product because it’s not, it’s a fine product.

I read thru it as well, and felt he was biased toward Lowrance. Seemed to ding Garmin because they were not just marine electronics based and don't have the years of experience. Well, their Garmin Force trolling motor seems well designed and gained allot of following in a very short time over MK and MG. I also remember it took years for Lowrance to come out with SI, after HB.

I had some Eagle stuff many years ago. It never failed for me. It was their value line, which I thought was discontinued. I was surprised to see the name in the thread.

I've been pretty happy with my Garmin stuff. There are some features that are better by the competitors, but overall I don't have much to complain about.

I don't know that you'll find a better deal right now than the 73SV. The 93SVs usually go on sale every fall for 699. You might be able to find a used 9" for a little less, guys upgrade quite a bit as the bigger units come down in price.

I took notice of the bias myself, but in the grand scheme of advertisement the article was good. I personally think that any and all information has its merits.

I have owned more electronics than I care to mention. Right now I am back with Garmin products on my larger craft and Lowrance on the little craft. But that could change at the drop of a hat.

Good Luck with your search tahuamq

Mrs Ldubs asked the same thing. So I asked her if the Prada brand purse carried more stuff than the TJ Maxx one. And that folks, was where I made the first mistake. :)
Does your dog house have A/C ?
I've been pretty happy with my Garmin stuff. There are some features that are better by the competitors, but overall I don't have much to complain about.

I don't know that you'll find a better deal right now than the 73SV. The 93SVs usually go on sale every fall for 699. You might be able to find a used 9" for a little less, guys upgrade quite a bit as the bigger units come down in price.
I see some pretty good sized screens on these fancy bass boats today, makes my 7" screen look micro, but the largest I have ever owned. Can't wait to see someone skimming across the lake with their 65" big screen mounted on the front !!

How many more fish will you catch with an 800 dollar unit vs. a 350 dollar unit ??
Really not the point here is it? When a reviewer puts up bad info on a product and that review sways someone to make a purchase I think we all lose.

Really not the point here is it? When a reviewer puts up bad info on a product and that review sways someone to make a purchase I think we all lose.
That is why it pays to do your own serious research, everyone has their own ideas what fits them or doesn't !! Never make a big purchase on one recomendation, or you become your own fool.

In terms of FFs, like many things, you get what you pay for.

I don't think an expensive fish finder makes you a better fisherman....time on the water (and lots of it), in your regular fishing grounds, does.

However, having some level of depth and what is below you (structure, flats, highs/lows, weeds, etc) does help quite a bit when finding and catching fish....that's what the pros look for and they are under time constraints.

For me, the below average fisherman, I stick to basics that are high quality. I use a Lowrance HDS Live 9. When it goes on sale, I will pick up a second unit and install it at bow (for bass fishing). I currently use my console unit when trolling and all other fishing. The bow unit would simply be for convenience.

The Eagle is a new unit and budget minded, so time will determine its worth. For now, HDS is the unit of known and proven quality, not to mention its 3 in 1 Active Imaging Transducer is one of the best in terms of what I mentioned above.

It comes down to budget, how often it will be used, how serious you are about fishing, and what YOU are willing to spend!