New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Permission to come aboard!

Hello and good afternoon. I'm 28 from central New Hampshire. Been fishing all my life, or at least as far back as I can remember. Both fresh and salt water but I favor fresh a lot more. Unfortunately one of the reasons that brings me here is my step-dad has recently lost his battle with cancer. One of the commonalities he and I shared was our love of fishing. After his passing I inherited one of his older projects, (Bass Tracker). It had been sitting in the field behind his house for quite a while and is going to need some serious TLC. So far all I have been able to ascertain is that I believe it to be a 79 (or so the number markings on the HIM indicate). I recently read through Huntingbronco's descriptive post about the rebuild project of his 79 tracker and it looks beautiful. I'm hoping I can refinish my new boat in similar fashion and do my step-dad proud. While I have several years of fishing experience I know I still have much to learn and this will be my first experience as my own skipper. Thanks for all the help so far and what I am sure is to come.

p.s. any ideas on the "model" of my boat? like I said all I know so far is it's a 79

Boat02.jpg

Boat01.jpg

Greetings. Great forum here! I just got a boat, '66 Alumacraft 14' V-hull with a 1972 Evinrude 18 FasTwin. I've had it on the water three times. Its my first boat, and I love it. Took almost a year to scounge funds, find it and haul it home. Kids love it. I grew up canoeing and kayaking but not fishing. I'm learning and making up for lost time off the water. Next step: trolling motor.

I look forward to tons of ideas here.

Erik
North Georgia

Just bought a 16ft Lowe big jon, going to try to build it into a nice little catfish boat for fishing the small lakes and rivers her in NE Oklahoma. Ended up finding a nice fish finder that I thought was too good of a deal to pass up. HB 998c SI, then ran across a 35hp Johnson motor, and picked it up. Just bought a gas tank and hose, they guy kept them for his replacement motor. I have already found a lot of helpful info on this site, and hope to find a lot more. I would like to take the center bench seat out, but don't know if I need to re enforce the hull. It is stuff like this that I hope to learn about. Thanks in advance, and I pre apologize for my ignorace.

Hi I'm from Lower part of S.C. and own a 89 DuraCraft 14 ft boat w/ Yamaha 25 hp( tiller steer) outboard. I spend a lot of time on the Edisto River and in the Santee Cooper Lakes ( mostly Lake Marion) and every now and then will venture off to Lake Murray in Columbia S.C. I've been snooping around for a few days and decided to join.

Vic

I am a new member from Siler City, NC. I have a 13.5 foot vhull powered by a 9.5hp johnson. I love to fish, hunt and be outdoors in general. I hope everyone can be of help because I have a lot of big plans.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317709#p317709 said:
dman24 » 33 minutes ago[/url]"]I am a new member from Siler City, NC. I have a 13.5 foot vhull powered by a 9.5hp johnson. I love to fish, hunt and be outdoors in general. I hope everyone can be of help because I have a lot of big plans.

Hey dman....good to have you onboard. Ask anything you want...someone will have an answer. There's always the search function in the upper rt hand corner of the page too. :D

Welcome to all you guys who have joined since mid April, glad to have you here.

Redfisher, your boat looks way newer then it is, I would have guessed about 2, maybe 3 years old... isn't it amazing what a bit of TLC and just plain being careful can do.

I have been fishing from a sit on top kayak for a while and decided to bite the bullet and get something that will give me so much more choices and places to fish. Found a 90's (I think) 14' Starcraft, 15 hp Evinrude that runs great, transom mount TM and trailer at a great price. I started lurking around here and have already gotten some great ideas on what I might like to do to the boat but not until this winter, now is time to fish! Haven't had it out on the water yet but this weekend it looks like the weather is going to cooperate and I'm looking forward to a nice long day on the water.

I'll get some pics up soon and look forward to learning from everyone and sharing my idea's and successes.

Matt
Woodbridge, Va

Howdy, this is my first post. Been reading a lot and just want to say thanks and deepest respect to all tin nuts on here. I plan to restore this 1970 12 ft Elgin mostly for the electric only lakes but I will put a 6.5 hp on it where allowed. I have been removing the paint on the bottom and have some blue silicone and some other flexible "cream" colored product around the seams. The blue silicone comes off fairly easy but I was wondering if I need to take out the "cream colored" sealer. I know it is hard for you to tell but anyone have a guess what the "cream" colored product might be? Is the reccommended searler (5200?) cream colored? I am going to paint the inside a bone color to reduce the heat effect and have some old aluminum signage and other scrap alu. materials that will be big enough for decking. I am thinking about putting the decking on the first two seats and then cover the rear. I am wondering if I should remove the front two seats.

Thanks again for all the work you guys have shared.

"My successful rise is because I am standing on the sholders of giants!!"

Attachments

• 12ftElgin.jpg
    12ftElgin.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,639
Getthenet.....Welcome to the TinBoats family. We're happy to have you on board.

You're right...I can't tell from the picture what you're wanting to remove. I'd be careful though that it's not something sealing up leaking rivets. You might have to re-seal once it's removed.

5200 should be white unless it has been stained by the elements.

Is the cream colored sealer pliable or hard?

Welcome to the site.

Thanks, the sealer is pliable. I will try to reseal brazing some alum rods but only where necessary. I am just a little concerned about paint holding but will follow the reccomended primer, wash, paint advice as offered here. Thanks for the responses.

I am new to this site, bass and cats are what I fish for, cats mainly. right now I am bound by the bank, I am looking for a good boat the I can fix up for catfishin, bassin will be from a glass boat. this site will give me some ideas on how to fix it up.

Latest posts