New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karrick and Romy from Hat Island, Washington. My main job is a seed gathering for an online seed company. Besides this I do many hand crafts when not on the water. Karrick is a great deck hand, he moves fast when needed for docking ours and others boats. He is mechanically inclined and boats are a passion. We enjoyed finding this site and will learn as we go! The island we live on is private with only 50 full timers and over 250 vacation home owners. There are no stores or businesses here so you must boat or ferry off to get groceries or conduct mail service. Although seemingly isolated, we are only 5 1/2 nautical miles from the mainland.

Here the eagles soar over your head, whales frolic below and the sunsets are quite stunning. The air is fragrant with floral scents, pine and salty air combined....

Eagleboat.jpg

sorry about the late post, my first post I think was on sealing leaks.
my name is jeff, and I am in medina county texas. new to boating and I posted just wondering.
I don't see much on 10' jon boats here, so I guess I will post on things I need help with or can help with.

New Guy from South Carolina. I'm 34, got a hot wife, an 11 year old girl, and an 8 year old boy. New to aluminum boat work, I look forward to throwing my money away on a new hobby my wife doesn't approve of [-X

surveywaters said:
New Guy from South Carolina. I'm 34, got a hot wife, an 11 year old girl, and an 8 year old boy. New to aluminum boat work, I look forward to throwing my money away on a new hobby my wife doesn't approve of [-X

Yeah...like we believe that! None of us have it that good!

Just kidding......Welcome to the TinBoat family. We're happy to have you here!

Don't forget.....We love pictures...especially of boats and the mods you do on them. Hope you get those kids out there with you too.

Hey folks, I've been lurking the website for a couple of weeks now, and finally bought my first boat (unless you want to count canoes) yesterday evening. I picked up a 1960s Meyer 15' with a 25hp Chrysler from 1970 rigged up to a side console. Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I will probably end up decking the front a little, as the PO pulled out the front aluminum bench (the one way in the bow).

Figured it was time to stop fishing out of my cedar strip canoe I built, and find something a bit more stable for my rather rotund self.

New guy from Northern Arizona, Kingman to be exact. I just bought the boat I should have bought many years ago. I found a 15.5 Western aluminum, 20" transom, high bow, 6' beam in excellent condition. The perfect fishing boat for a couple of full figured fishermen. Here's my challenge. I live near the Colorado River and the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Recently LMNR has ruled that 2 stroke jet ski's are no longer to be used. I'm thinking it's just a matter of time until all 2 stroke's are banned. Second challenge is the mountain lakes on the eastern side of Arizona. The HP limit on most are less than 10HP, though 2 strokes are still allowed.

So, do I spring for a 9.9 Nissan 4 stroke or something similar or go for a motor that will actually get the boat up on plane, say a 25? The boat is rated for a 40HP but after having a 25 on a 14 Smokercraft a few years ago I'm not interested in water skiing speeds anymore. I am really interested in the smooth operation and fuel economy of a small 4 stroke, and don't care much about speed......but I don't want to be plowing water at wide open throttle.

I had even thought of buying an old Johnrude 15 and replacing the old worn out decals with something more acceptable to the Fish and Game guys, maybe 9.9 decals.....

Anybody out there with actual experience with a boat this size and what might be an acceptable motor size to meet all the requirements/restrictions that currently exist or may be imposed in the future.

I've been lurking here for years, and know someone out there can come up with some advice.

Thanks, Mike

PS, the Long Distance Rider name comes from motorcycle touring for the past 40 odd years and several hundred thousand miles......

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!! Does you boat look something like this? Looking forward to seeing your project. I got a 9.9 4-stroke for my boat for much the same reasons.

Mike

Attachments

• Western Alum.jpg
    Western Alum.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,816
My boat not only looks something like the boat in the picture, the boat in the picture is the one I bought. The picture was taken in the back yard of the seller in Phoenix. Did you get the picture off Craigslist? I called this guy within a short time after he had listed the boat, made the deal over the phone and was on the road to Phoenix within 15 minutes of hanging up (a 200 mile drive). Overall it is in excellent condition, has a few extra holes thru the transom for a spring loaded trolling plate and such but overall it is very sound with no noticeable dents or scrapes. This is the best sized boat I have ever owned......I don't want to start off with a motor that I will be disappointed with. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to fly across the lake but if the wind comes up on Lake Mead you better have the ability to get off the lake in a 30 or 40 mile an hour breeze, been there, done that. These desert lakes can get ugly in a hurry.

So how is your 9.9 working out, any thoughts on a 9.9 on this size boat. It weighs 265lbs empty and with me and my fat fishing partner and motor and such it will probably leave the dock weighing 900 lbs. (my fat fishing buddy and I account for 500lbs of that 900 number)

thanks for your response, and for posting a picture of my boat......

Mike

My boat not only looks something like the boat in the picture, the boat in the picture is the one I bought. The picture was taken in the back yard of the seller in Phoenix. Did you get the picture off Craigslist

What are the odds. :LOL2: :LOL2:

fender66 said:
My boat not only looks something like the boat in the picture, the boat in the picture is the one I bought. The picture was taken in the back yard of the seller in Phoenix. Did you get the picture off Craigslist

What are the odds. :LOL2: :LOL2:

Maybe not that long :LOL2: I just googled western aluminum boat and it came up on YAKAZ. It's a great looking boat.

As far as motor hp, a 9.9 will probably not get your boat on plane. I have a 9.9 Honda 4-stroke on my 1648MV and it does 13mph on gps with me, the wife and our gear. I fish hp restricted or total electric so the 9.9 works for me.

If you need to run 20+ mph for safety reasons I think you will probably need a 20hp at least. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Mike

Hi all!

I'm looking forward to talking with all of you and learning a lot about our newest boating endeavor. We just purchased a Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TF and are awaiting delivery in about a week. We're from the Chicago area and have had a Crownline 250CR in the past. I now own an Ocean Kayak Torque as well and have been having fun with that so far this spring fishing the local ponds and lakes.

Welcome aboard FWL.

Looking forward to pics of the boats 8)

Brine said:
Welcome aboard FWL.

Looking forward to pics of the boats 8)

Thanks Jim and Brine.

Here are a couple of shots from the sales room floor. HAHA, can't wait to actually get'er home.
Photo-0044_zps87fe5f6c.jpg

Photo-0039a_zps73f0b38b.jpg

Photo-0043_zps5359dd8e.jpg

Photo-0045_zps324ffb6b.jpg

Well, I finally made a decision on what motor to put on my new Western 15.5. My plan was to buy a Nissan 9.9 4 stroke this weekend while in California. The trip to California got cancelled so I started looking local again. I found a one owner 97 Yamaya 9.9 2 stroke with both a standard and Piranah prop. Went to Cottonwood yesterday and picked it up from an old boy that had used it as a trolling motor until he reengined his main with a 150 4 stroke and the weight on the back of the boat got to be too much. So he took the 9.9 off and put it in storage.....It's immaculate, and though I will not break any speed records it will, at least for the time being, be legal for all the fishing from the California border east.....

Mike

Hi everyone..! My name is Mitch, and I recently purchased my first boat. 14' Lund V hull.. from 1996 I believe. It has a Yamaha 30 hp 3 cylinder, 2-Stroke. =D>
I've been following along on this website for awhile now... and now that I have a boat.. why not join! :)
It has a side console.. and some neat bells and whistle's. I'm going to fish the heck out of it this season. but I already see some "projects" to make it better suited to me. the back half, I kid you not. Is like a plush bed like thing.. :p not sure how I feel about it. The front bow could have a lot more storage. it has a tiny cut out now.. and I don't see why it couldn't be at least.. double the lid size!

This website is overflowing with info I will gobble up.

~~Mitch

It is really good to have some young blood in here. You will have a life time of pleasure with your tin. Good luck and happy fishing. BrazosDon

Latest posts