New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80f48c2d.jpg
th_d8afa466.jpg

Hello! A friend from another site directed me here for tin boat questions
So far, I'm impressed!!!!

My name is Mike, I live in Northwest Michigan, and I'm surrounded by lakes and rivers. Bass fishing has been a passion of mine for many years.
I'm 43, spent 4 years in the Navy and have been roofing ever since (20 years). Not a great career move #-o

I'm normally a yak fisherman, but I found out a couple months back, that my grandpa had left me his 14' Baycraft DJR in his 2001 will. Oops!

The pics were taken the day I went and picked it up.
Have plans to spruce it up, but not to the levels some of you are pulling off!

I fully intend to steal (borrow?) a lot of your insights and plans while I'm here.

I see there's a Recipe thread. That's where I'll most likely make my mark :mrgreen:

Hey Mike! :WELCOME: My name is Luke. Great looking boat there I'm sure it will do great. I'll be looking for some good ole recipes! I like to eat! Tons of great stuff around the site if you don't see what you need just ask in a new topic and somebody I'm sure can help. Great to meet you.

Hi,

I'm Talons.

I am 49, have 3 kids, a Golden Retriever and a 14' Aluminum LOWE Jon Boat (and some other toys)...

I didn't know what I had in this little boat until I sold our 20' Center Console fishing boat. But, now I want to make this "Little One" much, much better!

Just want to say "Hi" and has anyone made their own aluminum gas tank?

Talons

hello every one , I just joined up, looks like a good place to hang our, I havent been active fishing for quiet some time as i sold my 1993 procraft a few years ago, now retired and fired up to fisf, fish fish, I just bought an old 16' fishermarine w/40 mariner, in excellent condition, still has original seat covers. plan my first trip this coming sat am. Iv always love to bass fish, but lately been wanting to do some crappie fishing.

Ronnie

:WELCOME: Aboard mate! We all like pictures, of fish too. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Everyone love to help. And again welcome to TinBoats!

Hi, Just a moment to introduce myself. 45 years old boating all of it. I've had 3 wood boats (one 1937 still) and 4 'glass boats (one '85 still) but I just bought my first tin boat. My 15 year old son and I just bought a '72 14' mirrorcraft for lakes, bays, etc. Just starting to remove the previous owners' "customizing" and making it our own. Lots of experience glassing, cutting wood, welding steel, but this aluminum is a different animal and I'm all ears as to what I should and shouldn't do. Thanks for the site and I think I'll be around a lot.
-J

jweir said:
Hi, Just a moment to introduce myself. 45 years old boating all of it. I've had 3 wood boats (one 1937 still) and 4 'glass boats (one '85 still) but I just bought my first tin boat. My 15 year old son and I just bought a '72 14' mirrorcraft for lakes, bays, etc. Just starting to remove the previous owners' "customizing" and making it our own. Lots of experience glassing, cutting wood, welding steel, but this aluminum is a different animal and I'm all ears as to what I should and shouldn't do. Thanks for the site and I think I'll be around a lot.
-J

Welcome to Tinboats and the Mirrocraft owners group!

I too have a 14' mirrocraft, mine is made in 1979 but it's the same boat. A few tips for ya! Weight is your friend with the mirrocrafts it's like standing on a ball empty but if you get 400+ lbs it sits lower and is a lot more stabile. I'm sure you already know not to use pressure treated wood with aluminum and that stainless steel anything is a no no.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions!!!!

The farther away two metals are on this list the faster you will have galvanic corrosion. The reason I say no SS is because aluminum is what takes the corrosion in that case. You can seal it with Alcoa, 3m epoxy, thread sealant, etc, and you should be fine.

I try to look at the long haul of things and if I decide to put my boat in saltwater then galvanic corrosion can be a problem. If you absolutely know you are only gonna be in freshwater then it should be fine but just incase use the sealants. I'm just telling you what I learned in welding school when I was in high school.

Here is an article on SS bolts in aluminum, in Florida salt is a problem so that's why I avoid any SS on my aluminum, it's completely depending on your location. https://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html?m=1

Metal reactions list:

Magnesium
Mg alloy AZ-31B
Mg alloy HK-31A
Zinc (hot-dip, die cast, or plated)
Beryllium (hot pressed)
Al 7072 clad on 7075
Al 2014-T3
Al 1160-H14
Al 7079-T6
Cadmium (plated)
Uranium
Al 218 (die cast)
Al 5052-0
Al 5052-H12
Al 5456-0, H353
Al 5052-H32
Al 1100-0
Al 3003-H25
Al 6061-T6
Al A360 (die cast)
Al 7075-T6
Al 6061-0
Indium
Al 2014-0
Al 2024-T4
Al 5052-H16
Tin (plated)
Stainless steel 430 (active)
Lead
Steel 1010
Iron (cast)
Copper (plated, cast, or wrought)
Nickel (plated)
Chromium (Plated)
Tantalum
AM350 (active)
Stainless steel 310 (active)
Stainless steel 301 (active)
Stainless steel 304 (active)
Stainless steel 430 (active)
Stainless steel 410 (active)
Stainless steel 17-7PH (active)
Tungsten
Niobium (columbium) 1% Zr
Brass, Yellow, 268
Uranium 8% Mo.
Brass, Naval, 464
Yellow Brass
Muntz Metal 280
Brass (plated)
Nickel-silver (18% Ni)
Stainless steel 316L (active)
Bronze 220
Copper 110
Red Brass
Stainless steel 347 (active)
Molybdenum, Commercial pure
Copper-nickel 715
Admiralty brass
Stainless steel 202 (active)
Bronze, Phosphor 534 (B-1)
Monel 400
Stainless steel 201 (active)
Carpenter 20 (active)
Stainless steel 321 (active)
Stainless steel 316 (active)
Stainless steel 309 (active)
Stainless steel 17-7PH (passive)
Silicone Bronze 655
Stainless steel 304 (passive)
Stainless steel 301 (passive)
Stainless steel 321 (passive)
Stainless steel 201 (passive)
Stainless steel 286 (passive)
Stainless steel 316L (passive)
AM355 (active)
Stainless steel 202 (passive)
Carpenter 20 (passive)
AM355 (passive)
A286 (passive)
Titanium 5A1, 2.5 Sn
Titanium 13V, 11Cr, 3Al (annealed)
Titanium 6Al, 4V (solution treated and aged)
Titanium 6Al, 4V (anneal)
Titanium 8Mn
Titanium 13V, 11Cr 3Al (solution heat treated and aged)
Titanium 75A
AM350 (passive)
Silver
Gold
Graphite

I understand all about galvanic reaction - the reaction that I have witnessed between my aluminum hull (remember, boats are aluminum alloy hulls) and my SS fitting is NONE

Using alum nuts and bolts and what not will just not work for many applications - they will not have the strength

I have a 1989 bass tracker aluminum I am only fishing in fresh water, will SS bolts be ok in my application?

mcateercustom said:
I have a 1989 bass tracker aluminum I am only fishing in fresh water, will SS bolts be ok in my application?

Fresh water will not be any problem at all it doesn't have a reaction without salt. This is a saltwater problem that isn't 100% going to happen but it can. The salt starts electrolysis with aluminum being the anode which takes the corrosion.

I'm talking long term here guys not like a year or two but many years of saltwater use.

Why do you think they use galvanized U-bolts for aluminum boat trailers instead of SS? If you have an old trailer you'll see that the Galvanized bolts have a lot of corrosion and the aluminum is unharmed.

Also another example is the Anode on your engine. It's there to take the corrosion of saltwater instead of the aluminum on your outboard. Here is a good review on how it works and some examples.

https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/galvanic/default.asp

Buddychrist said:
jweir said:
-J

Welcome to Tinboats and the Mirrocraft owners group!

I too have a 14' mirrocraft, mine is made in 1979 but it's the same boat. A few tips for ya! Weight is your friend with the mirrocrafts it's like standing on a ball empty but if you get 400+ lbs it sits lower and is a lot more stabile. I'm sure you already know not to use pressure treated wood with aluminum and that stainless steel anything is a no no.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions!!!!

Thanks for the Welcome. I haven't had the 14 in the water yet. The PO had replaced the transom plywood with 2 x 10 PT and had made some "custom" raised floors with PT 2 x4's and PT ply. Home 12 hours and the floors were gone. Not too much damage from the PT contact. Now the 2 x10 is gone and we started laminating the new ply transom. I'm new to this aluminum boating, I have SS bolts to attach the transom knees through the wood and through the aluminum transom. I bought some nylon washers and planned on using those with some 4200 to try to avoid galvanic reactions. Do you think this is safe? I also need to replace the rear grab handles (missing) and can find chrome bronze, but no aluminum...again any recommendations appreciated. I plan on posting on projects page if that's OK and will accept any constructive criticism to help me learn.

Thanks again,
-J

Welcome aboard newest members.

When you get a chance, update your profile so we know what part of the world you're from.

:WELCOME:

Hey everyone. New to the site, just bought my first boat. 14' bass tracker. Always loved to fish and got tired of fishing from the banks. Lucky for me my uncle wanted to sell one of his 5 boats and I jumped on it. Already repainted the trailer and have found a lot of ideas for the boat on this site.

Mike

A74AF49C-D228-487D-B1B8-4C30C5A060EA-1634-0000016C0652FE7E.jpg

Welcome Aboard Mike =D>

Now your uncle only has 4 boats??? :LOL2:

My kinda guy!!!

Hey Welcome Mike! I love these bass trackers! Make sure to post lots of pictures of your build! We love pics. Congrats on the boat purchase. If you need anything just ask, I'm sure someone can help.

Brine said:
Welcome Aboard Mike =D>

Now your uncle only has 4 boats??? :LOL2:

My kinda guy!!!

He had 4 for about 3 days, sold this one to make room for one he had been looking at. 8)

Thanks for the welcome guys

Latest posts