New Tin in the Yard. Help Please.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Dawg

Reaction score
I got a new tin. Controls, 30 hp, 2 batteries. Trolling motor and gas motor are connected to deep cycle battery. Radio, lights, depth finder, bilge pumps (2) all connected to group 24 regular baytery. Is this proper? Always thought regular engine supposed to be hooked to cranking battery. Thoughts please.
Dawg

They probably put the OB to the same battery as the trolling motor (TM) so that the OB charged that battery when the OB motor was running. But I always though the 'best practice' with batteries for TMs was to draw them down before charging.

I've never seen anyone rig them with a TM, but also never looked ... but look into the BEP marine battery clusters. They are an intelligent device. You'd rig one battery for starting and for those other circuits and the other for the TM. It also senses the condition of both batteries and separately charges whichever one needs charging. And in an emergency, they can be combined to start the OB in case that battery was weak.

Cool system! Kind of like a battery combiner, battery charger, battery switch and battery monitoring system all in one. But please check with BEP, if thinking of this option, to ensure they would be OK for use with trolling motors and deep cycle batteries designed for deep draw downs ...

My StarCraft Superfisherman came that way from the factory. One deep cycle battery for everything cranking, trolling, bilge, livewell, nav and anchor light. Doesn't seem to be any problem for me.