New to me classic aluminum.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak41

Reaction score
A friend passed and the family sold me the aluminum rowboat we fished from over the years. We hadn't used it in about ten years, taking to fish from shore.
That is probably the last time it was registered. In NY if a boat can support a motor, it needs to be registered. The family can't find any paperwork and after seven years the State drops the records. No HIN, no registration. There was probably a HIN created for it when it was initially registered under NY numbers. The boat was bought new in '57/'58 in PA and there's nothing stamped anywhere on the boat but there is a badge on either side stating: Sea King.
Suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_135711108.jpg
    IMG_20230811_135711108.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 4
Sea King is a private label badge used by Montgomery Wards.
However, like all catalog and hardware outlets, they didn't actually manufacture anything. The companies that did make stuff were by contract and vendors often changed.
MW usual suspects include Starcraft, Sea Nymph, and Meyers.
Typically, one can find an identical sister ship wearing the main brand, but in the absence of that, more pics would help narrow it down by construction.
Corner castings, transom braces, and seat construction are all helpful.

For what its worth, having lapstrake panels by 57/58 kinda leans toward Starcraft.

Welcome my Sea King brother.
I have a 1971 Sea king 1436 jon. The research I have done showes my boat was made by Delhi.

However, like all catalog and hardware outlets, they didn't actually manufacture anything. The companies that did make stuff were by contract and vendors often changed.
Typically, one can find an identical sister ship wearing the main brand, but in the absence of that, more pics would help narrow it down by construction.

For what its worth, having lapstrake panels by 57/58 kinda leans toward Starcraft.
I'll add photos. Thanks.

More pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_20230816_134013844.jpg
    IMG_20230816_134013844.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230816_134020429.jpg
    IMG_20230816_134020429.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230816_134039698.jpg
    IMG_20230816_134039698.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230816_134049622.jpg
    IMG_20230816_134049622.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230816_134033085.jpg
    IMG_20230816_134033085.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
The transom knee is 100% Starcraft design. That double-rolled wide triangle is unmistakable.
I have a few myself. lol
Do you know what the brackets on the middle seat might be for?
And, why is there no drain in the transome?

Do you know what the brackets on the middle seat might be for?
And, why is there no drain in the transome?
Bilge drains were once options, believe it or not.
I have no idea about the brackets, though.

Bilge drains were once options, believe it or not.
I have no idea about the brackets, though.
Back when I was a kid, my Dad carried an old coffee can used to dump out the water in the boat if any got in there, that was my job "Time to bail the boat, son" Dad would say! God I miss those times fishing with my Dad!

Back when I was a kid, my Dad carried an old coffee can used to dump out the water in the boat if any got in there, that was my job "Time to bail the boat, son" Dad would say! God I miss those times fishing with my Dad!
Well then if you fish we me you got the job...........cept i have a clorox bottle cut down into a scoop to bail with! :))

Same!

Dual purpose cans, too, if yaknowwhaddamean.

I'm going to add an optional drain and plug. I don't like having to constantly flip the boat around but currently, storing it on the trailer right side up, I'm raising mosquitoes!

I'm going to add an optional drain and plug. I don't like having to constantly flip the boat around but currently, storing it on the trailer right side up, I'm raising mosquitoes!
Smart idea. My 1950 12 ft Alumacraft was mfg also without a drain hole in the stern so added my own with a metal hole saw and filed the edges smooth to fit an expandable rubber drain plug and it works perfectly.