New to this forum. Questions on Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXT.WARDXx

Reaction score
Hey guys I just created a account to this forum because I just recently got a Jon Boat yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to search so I just figured I would ask. Its a 16 ft x would say 3 ft roughly maybe a little more. I'm looking at putting a deck on the front and back with storage, livewell, and then a trolling motor mount. My big thing is with the foam under the seats. Does that have to stay in for it to stay a float or can it all be removed without having to put any more back in on the floor. Also would it be better to use wood or aluminum for making the deck and braces for it all. My only concern with the wood is it being to heavy and not floating right or beeping really tippy. I'm very knew to boats and could use any help really. Thanks

Welcome and Congrats on the boat!

Foam isn't what floats the boat. It's what saves you from completely losing it should you ever get swamped (boat full of water). The foam is required by law and should be left in the boat or replaced if removed. It's a special foam too that doesn't absorb or retain water (closed cell). Just spraying in "Great Stuff" isn't a fix.

Aluminum is lighter than wood however more expensive. I opted for aluminum framing and a plywood deck.

Don't put any pressure treated wood in it whatsoever!

Read around the build threads and you'll see some mods that may appeal to you. Post pictures too if you can!

So if you were to remove the seats could you could the foam in pieces to fit in between the braces of the boat then lay down a floor over top of that?

Do you just use plain plywood from like lowes and then water seal it? I'm really confuzed on what type of wood to use

you want a plywood that is exterior rated because the glue that holds it together is resistant to water where as other types will fall apart a lot more easily

as for the foam putting it between the ribs under the floor would be a good idea however, i take it you dont want that foam getting wet and sitting directly on aluminum eventually that will start corrosion witch could cause problems down the line but if your sealed up real good that may not be a problem

Treat the plywood or any wood that you put in with 3 coats of spar urethane.

Do not use any pressure treated wood.

Some folks use insulation board (blue board from lowes) as floatation foam. The key is that it is closed cell and doesn't absorb water.

Is there a part number for that foam from lowes? I've been trying to find it on google and I'm not getting any good results.

does the insulation foam help?

I have read that only the foam from the seats helps it stay afloat and the rest want do anything for it. I just wondered about how true that was. Well keep it from being totally lost if it was to sink i guess i should say other than keep afloat.

I think for the wood im going to get regular plywood and put 3 coats of spar urethane on it. Im going tomorrow to look around and get prices on everything.

Probably will take me a couple months to do it all because of my stupid city boat registering. I have to wait till june 30 to buy the license for my city for one year or if i buy it now i have to buy it again on june 30 because that would be when it would expire. It's stupid i think if i have the boat registration and everything for the state i should just be able to fish anywhere in the state. It the same for fishing license too. I have to buy one for the state and then one for my city so i can fish here. Wooo. Venting over now :)

Foam is only going to help you if you get swamped. Boats are given enough foam to float when swamped, but if you are going to be adding weight/mods you will likely want to add foam as well.

Search for "extruded polystyrene" at lowes.

Here's a link from Dow that tells you that it's closed cell and used in boat floatation:
https://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_003c/0901b8038003c56f.pdf

If you need more floatation - look on here for floatation pod mods. Basically they are welded aluminum fabrications on the transom and they help the boat run shallower as well.

XT Ward - where do you live? That's just lame!

I'm in north Carolina.

I went to lowes today and looked at prices on stuff and i was curious if it matter what type of plywood you use. My lowes only had a little bit of pine plywood and then blondewood hardwood plywood. I'm not sure if it really matters which you use.

Also i was curious if it would be ok to use a flapper disk to take the old paint off or if i should just go ahead and buy some aircraft cleaner or a wirebrush

For plywood - I used cabinet/exterior grade. It's void free and will last longer. You can opt for marine grade ply, but it's expensive.

As for the flapper disk... I'm not actually sure. I've read that people get tired of sanding and the aircraft cleaner takes very little time compared to the sanding.

I haven't painted mine yet, but plan to this spring. I'm just scuffing the old paint to remove anything that flakes, hitting the bare spots with the etching primer, and then painting.

i know in welding we use the flapper disk to remove rust and stuff it gets that stuff gone quick. I just don't know how it would do on the aluminum.

What is a roll and tip paint job?

What type of foam is it that everyone is using to replace what they take out of there seats. I know it starts with a "p" but i can't remember what it is.

That's it thanks. You can use the kind you get from Lowes though right?

You think it would be a good idea for like under my front deck and back I'm going to put storage compartments. I was thinking that in all the areas that weren't part of the storage I could put foam in. I don't know if that would to much floatation though and maker it really unstable.

The foam is very light and shouldn't affect the stability at all. Adding the foam would help in the event that your boat got swamped (full of water) and would compensate for added weight of gear, mods, etc..

Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd_304087-210...rentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

It is advertised as having less than 1% water absorption.

By the way, Home Depot carries virtually the same product, but manufactured by Owens Corning, which is of course pink colored. They carry it in thicknesses of 1/2" to 2". It is advertised as having less than 1% water absorption.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/t/10032...reId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100320352#specifications

I'm a bass fisherman so I want to carry my baits with me in totes in my storage compartments when I put them in. Do you think putting the foam in everywhere I can under my deck and everything will be a good idea?

Ringo is spot on.
It's really there just to save you should you get swamped. If you've got the space for foam - throw it in. Especially throw it in if you have some voids that you don't plan on using for storage. Under the deck could also cut down on sound as well.

Adding foam isn't going to make your boat more bouyant. It won't allow you to add more weight either. It's only purpose is to keep the boat from completely sinking should you get swamped.

Think of swamped as the water in the boat is level with the top of the lake. The foam hopefully allows us to salvage our boats from that situation. If we didn't have foam - the boat would sink to the bottom of the lake and we're screwed.