Newb and Doing A Little Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassnFool

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
I’ve been lurking on this site for a few months now, and I’m amazed at how well your modifications have come together. It inspired me to fish more electric lakes and pick up a cheap jon boat for this season until I can save up for a new boat next year.

So in the meantime I picked up what I thought was a nice boat and realized what a piece of junk it really is. I just water tested it and of course it leaks. This is a 1972 Alum craft Scout and is leaking in the keel where it meets the separated aluminum to bend in the bow. Whoever owned this boat before me filled it with caulk and it was a horrible job. I have since removed the caulk ready to prep to repair.

I’m going to post some photos and hopefully some of you can help me come up with a solution on this leak I’m having. I have read about gluvit, coat-it, and 5200, but I do not know if it would work on a gap this large.
After this is fixed I plan on just building a deck (nothing fancy) to fish , and maybe install a livewell for the few tournaments that I would join. Thanks for looking and I’m looking forward to hear any advice.

Lower Part Of Seperation

It's kind of amazing that the two sections of the front don't come together. I wonder how it was originally sealed. That's a pretty mongo gap. I don't know how to fix it but someone here sure will. Stay tuned and someone will help.

That's a pretty common leak in StarCraft boats. The gap is not the problem it's the rivets around the gap.
Try re-bucking the rivets or replacing them. Then a sealer like Gulvit can be applied.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was strange myself, but this is what I'm working with. Ion going to re-rivet that entire section. I'm going to apply 5200 on each rivet, but I'm also wondering if I should remove both sides and try to fit it in the seam as I go from bottom to top.

Should I fill that gap in the inside?

No need to fill the gap. You should pour some sealer into the gap and work it around so it can flow into and around the rivets and in between the pieces the rivets are holding together.

I have the same problem on my Grumman 1784TC. Its a common problem with riveted V-hull boats. The keel cap is put together in 2 pieces. The piece you are referring to has constant pressure on it when your under way and the rivets eventually start moving allow water to get in. To repair mine permanently, I plan to remove all 15 zillon rivets clean the area real good, prime it with zinc chromate primer, use enough 5200 to get a good seal on both pieces, and re-rivet the keel cap in place using 5200 on each rivet. This will solve that problem. You will need some Cleco's the same size as your rivets to hold the piece in place while doing this, and they will get covered in 5200 but can be cleaned later.

Don't fill the gap with anything, you'll be wasting your time and money.

Thanks for the replies.

That sounds like a ton of work to replace all of the rivets, and I don't know if I even want to attempt that.

I filled the boat up over the weekend and found where the leaks are coming from and marked the areas. I. The mean time I'm going to replace those rivets and apply coat it on the inside and bottom of the boat.

I hope this helps. I'll water test then I can begin building my deck.

When applying Coat-it or Glu-vit it only needs to go on the rivets and seams.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
When applying Coat-it or Glu-vit it only needs to go on the rivets and seams.

Ok. Thanks! I started prepping last night. Do I lightly sand the coat it before painting?

Latest posts