Newbie questions on bilge pumps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
retiredff said:
I read somewhere an easy way to remove water in a boat is to run WOT (if gas powered), pull the rear drain plug. The water should drain on its own. Does this work?

Tony

Im not sure....What happens when you stop?

Jim said:
retiredff said:
I read somewhere an easy way to remove water in a boat is to run WOT (if gas powered), pull the rear drain plug. The water should drain on its own. Does this work?

Tony

Im not sure....What happens when you stop?

Glug glug glug to Davie Jones' Locker. Unless you are quick putting that plug back in! I've also read that too, I think it has to do with the physics of the water being pulled out from just behind the boat - creates an outflow current away from the transom which will also in turn pull water from inside the boat through the plug.

I'm not sure I would be brave enough to try it...

retiredff,

Yes, it works. I have done this several times when fishing and my plug had dried out. I have since replaced the plug and no problems now. My 11 yr old son was with me and thought it was the neatest thing in the world to see the water go out the plug hole.

But, you better put it back in before slowing down (or stopping) or you're in for real problems :shock:

Doug

justnortherns said:
Hanr3 said:
Unless you need to concentrate on something else, like an emergency. The purpose of the bigle pump is to remove water, however the advantage is that you dont have to worry about it. You can concentrate on other things, emergency run back to shore, medical emergency on board, etc. The odds you wont need it, about 99 to 1. However when you do need a bilge pump, it becomes priceless, especially in an emaregency... Kind of like a fire extinguisher. You pray you dont need it, however its there just in case.

Very good points, I appreciate that a bilge pump is efficient and allows one to concentrate on more pressing tasks. However, I think I'll keep a manual bailer around as well just in case (fortunately it doesn't take up any weight). The one issue that bothers me is that a bilge pump has to run off a battery, whereas a manual bailer does not.

In an electric-motor only environment, for example, an emergency is also the time when battery use requirements will likely be the most stressed. So, if one wants to be really careful, it might be best to have both manual and automatic bailer options available.

I too have a back up plan, my minnow bucket will instantly become my manual bailer shoud the need arise.

All great posts and to the point. Yes, I've had to pull the plug and run fast to drain a couple of boats out. It works. The amount of water that rushes back in when you stop is far less than the amount of water that was flushed out on a long run. Carry an extra plug, tied to a string near the stern.

Rather than a plastic milk bottle, I use a plastic washing machine soap bottle. They are made from a stiffer plastic and are easily modified to fit with a comfortable handle.

Good advice above on having BOTH the hand and the electric ways to let the water out. Coastal rains can fill the boat quickly. regards, Rich

retiredff said:
I'm buying a spare plug tomorrow!

That's a good idea. First day I launched my boat, the nut fell off the plug and the boat started taking on water. I've always carried 2 extra plugs on my boat after that.

retiredff said:

Tony

Yep, it works. Although I've got a bilge pump on board, pulling the drain plug while running the boat works just fine and it's the only way I've used to drain the water in my boat so far. And if you're slow in getting it back in and water gets back in the boat, just run it a little longer and try again. My only suggestion is to keep the boat running (it doesn't have to be at WOT) while removing the drain plug and putting it back in.

I have a 500 gph bildge on a 8' wire with a 5' hose attached to it on a switch for anytime I need it. Heavy rains or like my last boat I popped a rivet and took on a lot of water before I noticed. Another use is if my livewell pump fails mid tournament I still have a way to pump water to the fish, just put the pump over the side of the boat and pump water into the box.

The one time I needed a bilge pump was about 5 years ago I was fishing about a mile from the ramp in Rend Lake. The old Ozark tri-hull looked to be in good shape, but unknown to me the transom was weak. The wood under the fiberglass had rotted away and cracked. I noticed the boat was really sluggish...had something to do with the 8 inches of water under the floor I guess? :shock: I finally hear the bilge pump running and then see the water pouring in. We barely made it back to the ramp and had a heck of a time getting the boat out of the water. I guess it weighed about 1000 lbs more than normal with all that water in it. I'm convinced that it would have sunk in place if I hadn't been able to pump some of it out while I was looking for the problem with the motor. I learned a lot about rebuilding a transom in that summer. I had a 750 gph pump and won't go without one if I can't see the bottom of the boat. Needless to say the wife doesn't like me getting more than easy swimming distance now from shore. :lol:

hi , im new here too, but iv had several diff types of boats, the bilge pump has helped me several times by pumping water out when im not there but....my boat stays in the water. a small automatic float switch and a bilge pump works great. the best bilge pump to get is made by rule....a rule 1500, or rule 2000 are the best ones they cost a little more but last forever.i use mine at the coast and you can take on some water pretty fast, the auto switch will let you concentrate on the situation at hand ie... get to shore...or find the leak and you can even use a small batt like a motorcycle battery to save space,as long as it is 12 volt....hope this helps the last thing you want to do is...if you happen to get a leak ...is trying to get the pump out and hook it up.

Latest posts