NGK BUHW2- vs - Champion L78V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moecarama

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a light tune on my 2002 Merc 90hp ELPTO. The data plate suggests the NGK; which have been discontinued. If you have switched over how do you like the performance of the substitute? NGK gap is .70, Champion is .65...still checking parts stores for them NGK 's...thx in advance.

No experience in an outboard, but when I used to have a CR250R honda the NGK would run for weeks and when I put a Champion in it would be fouled out in a day. I only used as a last resort.

My Nissan/Tohatsus like NGK, but they were also spec'ed for them. NGK ran great in my 350 Mercruiser as well. Its been a while, but Evinrude/Johnsons I've had liked the Champions.

Mr, Giggles is correct.
Surface gap plugs can almost always find a path to ground vs a side gap plug. Compared to a side gap plug they may not be the best idling plug.
Have said this before but in the past ten or so years I have seen many many more NGK plugs fail in both OMC and Yamaha outboards than I have a Champion. I do believe most folks assume the plug is fouling when in fact it may be a simple internal failure of the plug. Take this for what it is worth.

gk

All depends on the motor brand. In my many years it seemed OMC always preferred champion's where Mercury liked NGK's. My Merc also uses those same plugs, when no one had them, I ordered the replacement plug according to "Quicksilver" , upon receipt the box showed the new replacement number....guess what was in the box....yep, the discontinued plugs !! Thought I would order 4 more as spares right away, yep, same thing in the next order !!