no H.I.N. plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStewart

Reaction score
how do i find out the max h.p. for my boat if it doesnt have a hin plate?

HIN plate or capacity plate? The HIN plate only has your serial number, which is required by law to be on the transom. Capacity plate is just needed due to US Fed regulations (and likely most state ones, too) to determine persons, weight, and HP capacity. I am guessing you're referencing the latter? You could call up your manufacturer and see if there is a spot you could get one. Sometimes you just can't get it and you go without it.

MY BOAT IS A 68 MODEL. DIDNT HAVE EITHER PLATE UNLESS ITS UNDER THE WOOD ON THE TRANSOM.

My boat didnt have an HIN and I had to get a game warden to come out and issue a new one so that I could get the boat registered.

daniel_loz said:
My boat didnt have an HIN and I had to get a game warden to come out and issue a new one so that I could get the boat registered.

wow. my boat is registered but i didnt find any plate on it anywhere. maybe somebody else with a richline will know what the max h.p. is.

stew6371 said:
daniel_loz said:

wow. my boat is registered but i didnt find any plate on it anywhere. maybe somebody else with a richline will know what the max h.p. is.

A 1968 model isn't going to have an HIN or a capacity plate. You will most likely just have to look to other, similar sized boats and make a determination from there. The max hp listed on those is usually on the conservative side.