October Smallies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Hit the local stream this afternoon for some R&R after working since early this morning (yes, I work when I cannot fish!!!)

Did not expect too much as the water temps dropped significantly this past week. It was a great day, about 70* with just a slight wind. I fished in shorts and a T-shirt, just like summer. Started out at my familiar haunts (hell, the fishable section of the stream in this are is only about 1.5 miles so it is all familiar). Caught a few small LM bass right away so I was happy. I picked my way down the bank and hooked up with a few small SM Bass - things were going very well.

I had a hunch that the larger bass might be in the deeper water. Last week I caught a real nice LM bass in the deeper section so that was what I was hunting. After about 45 minutes I made a few casts to a rock wall area and was rewarded by a medium sized smallie!

October_smallies_001.jpg

I saw that one of his (or her) buddies had followed him in so I continued to work the spot - and hooked up with a much larger fish almost at once:

October_smallies_003.jpg

I had one about the same size throw the hook about 15 minutes later and had a real nice LM bass do the same thing - that sucks!

Finally, caught another nice smallie in a nearby location:

October_smallies_002.jpg

Hot bait was my 4" senko in black with an 1/8 oz.bullet weight. Dead sticking caught all the fish.

As I was fishing a 12" rainbow trout swam up to me and kinda just hung there in the water - if looked sick or dying and I gave it a poke with my rod tip to get it moving back into the current. A few minutes later and it returned so I reached down and grabbed it. (Bear style). There was a VERY elderly gentlemen trout fishing not far from me so I walked over and offered him the fish. I think he was hard of hearing becuase he jumped out of his skin when I walked up - but settled down and gratefully accepted the trout.

Caught a bunch of 10" smallies as well and, of course, a handful of rock bass. Probably one of the last days for this stream and I like making the grand exit!

A few minutes later and it returned so I reached down and grabbed it. (Bear style).

Wow esquired, you just get more and more hardcore at catching fish anyway you can! :D What's the R&R? About 10 minutes away from my house is the D&R...

I may try my hand at river fishing this weekend, found this on Ky fish and wildlife. https://fw.ky.gov/smallmouthstreams.asp?lid=1140&NavPath=C101

Latest posts