Off water trolling motor testing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgeddes

Reaction score
An old friend gave me a small trolling motor, perfect for a particular application. It is an 8lb thrust Minn Kota. It works but has no reverse. The motor current could be measured while running in a bucket but how representative of the real world would that be? It would seem that in clean water the motor would draw significantly more power than stirring water in a drum. I need to build a reverse and possibly a speed control, so knowing the on water amperage is critical. Is there a way to get real numbers without pushing a boat?

Motor that small guessing is a tiller model. Why not just rotate it on other direction for reverse?

Or DC motors, one should be able just to reverse polarity to get to run in reverse and to adjust speed, one should be able to pulse power on and off. You would also have your own digital maximizer then too.

On my motor guide wireless you just spin it around to go backwards, I wouldn't worry about a reverse on a tiller model just kick it around and it will do fine

I didnt know they had 8lb TM.

Minn Kota 10W - Not really sure of the intended use but I'm guessing canoes or small inflatables.

Turning the motor around for reverse is not really practical, as both hands will be busy. I won't even turn the motor just use it when close to the dock.

I'll see if I can get a picture posted.

I ran it in a bucket today and 20 amps should be more than safe. It has been decided that I will only use the current two speed arrangement on the motor and a switch for forward and reverse.

This picture is it's future boat:
bgeddes-albums-little-boat-picture1326t-img-0386edit2.jpg

Yeah, I would think a 20 amp fuse or circuitry would be fine for an 8lb motor. If nothing else, you could rig up a switch to reverse polarity, that will give you reverse. Beyond that you could use a pulse control module and some capable transistors to make a maximizer type digital throttle control.

Just make sure it's fused and be safe while testing prototypes!

Latest posts