On board chargers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny146

Reaction score
Ok fellas, I need some of the expert opinions that exist on this fourm. I am in the palnnng stages of my 1436 build. I am think about going the on board charger route. I plan on using, if I can get a hold of 2, AGM batteries. I am going to run a 36 lb foot control on the the front and a 40-55 lb tramsom mount on the back. What are your recommendations on a decent, reasonably priced onboard charger.

You have many to choose from but the 2 best are
Dual pro And guest
they are both quality products. they both have the occasional bad one in the batch.
I have never had trouble with my dual pro and think you can't go wrong with that. If you search their site they have reconditioned units that have a 1 year warranty at a great price.
I would also suggest that you get the 10 amp per bank model as opposed to the 5 amp per bank it will charge faster and give a better charge
the 15amp per bank will be even better but the price goes up wit that one

gunny146 said:
Ok fellas, I need some of the expert opinions that exist on this fourm. I am in the palnnng stages of my 1436 build. I am think about going the on board charger route. I plan on using, if I can get a hold of 2, AGM batteries. I am going to run a 36 lb foot control on the the front and a 40-55 lb tramsom mount on the back. What are your recommendations on a decent, reasonably priced onboard charger.

Get a Guest charger and Sears PM-1 or PM-2.

Cabela's usually has some pretty good sales on Guest chargers from time to time.

That's where I bought mine for quite a substantial savings. It has been the single best investment that I have made in this boat.

This will be my second season with a BPS(BassPro) model and I have not had any issues. I have the 10amp, 2bank model.

It depends on the size of the batterys, the 10 amp bank chargers IMO should be used on nothing smaller than a group 31, were the 3 amp bank chargers should be used on nothing bigger than a group 27, On group 29 batterys i would use no more than 5 amps per bank.. That number seems to be perfect for these agm batterys as well... I lost 3 batterys when my bps charger went bad, Bps replaced the charger but i had to eat the batterys. I would get a dual 5 guest charger i think if it was me.. all the promariner chargers are the same as BPS, so rule that out and just buy the bps charger. 99% of the BPS charger problems were in the first model yrs, I probbaly wouldn't hesitate to buy anothger BPS charger right now. And i am not sure, but your BPS buddy may be able to get that 40% discount on one... Id get the dual 5 bps charger if he can get the discount...

I read a lot of reviews and decided on the Minn Kota. Get the charger before you decide where you are going to place things. I was able to load balance my batteries and place the charger in the middle and still reach them both.....just barely. The extension cords for on board chargers are expensive.