opinions about a reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard of these - is Academy the Manufacturer? If so, never heard of them either

Do you have a link or something?

I think academy is an outdoors shop thats sells them, not sure if its their product, but I think i remember hearing they are made by daiwa, not 100% on that though. That being said Ive never seen or held one so i really dont know.

I did a quick google search and it seems like they had mostly positive reviews except fot the handle keeps on coming loose on a few of the posts I read. Maybe some loctite can fix that inconvenience?

Captain Ahab said:
I have never heard of these - is Academy the Manufacturer? If so, never heard of them either

Do you have a link or something?

lol my bad. i was thinking academy was nationwide. academy is an outdoors store, but the reel is their brand. they didnt mfg it though.

i used one yesterday and im quite impressed. my bro-in-law loves them. he said he would sell his shimanos so that he could buy these instead. https://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/fishing/reels_baitcast&start=12&selectedSKU=0112-40429-1000.

the performance is there, now it is just a matter of durability i guess. i was just seeing if anyone else uses/ has used them.

They look nice from what I could see online.

Academy is only in these states:

map-05_07_08.gif

I wish they would put an Academy up in Kennesaw. Plenty of North Atlanta people, and those of us out past Atlanta can still get to it easily. I have heard good things about them.

I would be concerned about the durability of those. With bait cast reels, it seems you get what you pay for. Russ010 helped a guy with a brand new Daiwa Megaforce, (which is around 60 bucks) and said that it was every bit as smooth as the 210 dollar Viento's that I really like. However, I have been reading, on numerous occasions, where the flipping bar malfunctions, and flops into the spool, and more commonly, where it doesn't engage on the first handle spin, after casting. Seems a lot of people are having this problem with them.

My BPS extreme is also supposedly a great reel for the money, from what I hear. But, it isn't holding up well. Functionally, there is nothing wrong with it, but while it used to be as smooth as these higher dollar reels, it has lost a bit of that, after not that much use, and doesn't cast as well as I feel it should. Personally, I am going to keep holding out for the 150 + dollar casting reels, as they seem to really have much better longevity than the cheaper ones.

Carry a pair of vice-grips incase that handle falls off :wink:

Yeah, too bad Academy is only a southern thing. I wish we had one here in IL. I go there and eat at Cains' (sp) Chicken when i visit my family in South Lousiana.

i understand about academy being only a southern thing. i wish we would get a cabelas in okc.

Latest posts