Opinions on this boat? (Craigslist Ad)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubman

Reaction score
What do you all think of this boat? I am a high school student on a small budget, looking for my first boat. The trailer will definitely need to be sanded and repainted, if it is only surface rust. If I go to look at this boat , is there anything in specific I need to look for? Who makes gamefisher outboards?

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/652787664.html

"Flat bottom, trolling motor, 10h motor, and Fish finder. Bilge pump and aireater. Motor starts on first pull. Has a drive on trailer"

01031201040301160120080422241239fe4e8312c15d00bc55.jpg

010210010312011608200804225120c5e5908cd6febd00e9f9.jpg

01021101040201160020080422f1f8cb9f94f5d4ef9c001473.jpg

The reason I am so interested is that the asking price is only $950.
Thanks!

I am concerned becuase you cannot see the trailer tires (if it has any???) and it is on a jack?

Looks like it might be a money pit - but worth a look. take you time and you will find the right boat for the right price.

Ask around at docks and marinas, often people upgrade and sentence the old boat to a back yard retirement - then the wife wants that 'junk" out of there :p

Thank you for your reply, esquired! I will ask about the trailer's condition the next time I talk to the seller. I have read that most transoms are plywood skinned with aluminum. Is there a way to check if the wood is rotten if it is not visible?

Good luck with it! I know the feeling of wanting a boat real bad.... Dont jump onit if you feel it is not worth it price wise or too much time and effort to get it the way you want it. There will be plenty more.

Thank you, Jim. I am especially interested in this boat because of everything it comes with for the price of $950. I do not mind repairing or repainting the trailer, I know how to do that, and have the time. I am afraid of buying a boat with transom problems, or with a outboard that does not work, because I have no expierence repairing these things. In your opinion, is it too much to ask the seller to take me out in the boat, to see how everything works?

Cubman said:
Thank you, Jim. I am especially interested in this boat because of everything it comes with for the price of $950. I do not mind repairing or repainting the trailer, I know how to do that, and have the time. I am afraid of buying a boat with transom problems, or with a outboard that does not work, because I have no expierence repairing these things. In your opinion, is it too much to ask the seller to take me out in the boat, to see how everything works?

Not at all, and for sure do not give him his asking price. If it is worth it, start at like 700-750.

Any questions you have, fire away, matter of fact you can ask your questions as he is taking you for a ride in it. How long has it been sitting, was it winterized, hows the wheel bearings, any leaking rivits or seams, does he have the paper work, hows the tread on the tires and anything else you can think of.

Gamefisher outboards were made for Sears by different manufacturers. I believe the one in the pic is made by Mercury. They are okay motors. I have a 15hp that I'm not using right now. Some of the material used on them are cheaper like the metal on the body of the motor, but if you take care of your outboard like you should, they can last just as long as any other motor. The nice thing is you can get parts for it from Sears' part website by looking up the model # and they have exploded views, etc. I think the site is www3.sears.com.

Like Shamoo said...
you can ask your questions as he is taking you for a ride in it

That way you can see if it leaks and starts and how it handles two people in the boat. Depending on how far the water is from where the boat is you should feel the wheel bearings after you get to the ramp. Warm is okay but if it is uncomfortably warm, they need new bearings at least.

Transom repair is not that hard on jon boats. Check everything, decide how much $$$ it would take to get it "right" and go from there, but definately offer lower than asking price. I have 14 footer that looks similar to that jon with a galvenizd trailer w/ no motor asking $700, so I think you possibly have a good buy there if the 9.9 runs as good as he says. If he will not let you go out in the boat, walk no run away.

I posted a wanted ad, and got several replies. One guy sent me some pictures of a v-hull that seems nice. Here is his description:
More stable than a Jon boat. 1996 Tracker with 25 electric start Evinrude, New trolling motor, bilge pump. Like new drive on trailer.
IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Would a 12' v-hull be big enough for two people to fish from? I have no plans to add a casting deck right now. He didn't mention a price, but he said it was in my price range ($1500 max)

I also got this reply, with no pictures:
I have a 2000 model 14' Polar Kraft Jon Boat with a 2000 model 5hp Mercury with a Hustler trailer. It also has nice seats that mount to the jon boat seats and can be placed where you want them. The rig is in fine shape and not beat to death like many and the motor looks like new. It is perfect for fishing the Clinch in Clinton for trout or Crappie on area lakes.
Will a 5 HP move a 14 foot boat with two people, without bogging down? I am not in a hurry, I just don't want to buy something that will burn up from being overworked. He is asking $1400.

Both those look good! That 12 footer is fine for 2 people if you just add floors.

PBW has a 14 with a 5hp B&S. YOu would have to go over those with a fine tooth comb. Bigger Jon or smaller V? :-k

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2202&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I would look long and hard at that Tracker. It seems to be in real good condition, and is nice and wide. Lot wider than most 12 footers, from the looks of it, so it should be more than plenty stable. I would wager that it could probably do just dandy with decks. That trailer is also in great condition as well, and seems to have bearing buddies. That 25 will also be a lot nicer as far as speed goes. When I bought my 12 footer in '07, I thought that I could live with just 4 horses, but it is an absolute pain the neck, unless you are on real small water. That 25 will make you much happier. Plus, it is an Evinrude. Can't go wrong there. Those battery leads lead me to believe that it is electric start as well. The motor seems to be well kept. That color of blue that Evinrude used those years is real prone to fading, and seeing how that one looks, I would say it was definitely kept covered, and possibly even garaged.

If I were in your predicament, I would look long and hard at that Tracker. Even though it is at your max, it seems to be water ready. Then, you could ad the little things later on (although, I don't see much that it needs). With the others, you are out whatever time it takes to get going, and the cost of projects ads up real quickly. I do it only because I enjoy working on the boats just as much as using them. If I were in it to get a budget boat, I would look for a package deal.

Hmm. Tough choice. The Tracker has the better speed, and probably equal, if not a tad better as far as stability runs, and will definitely have a smoother ride. However, you are just about 40 bucks, and an hour away from having bottom decks in the polar craft. And, you gain 2 feet. Lemme ask this. What sort of water are you going to be fishing in? If you are talking medium to large reservoirs, I would definitely go with the Tracker. If you are talking small hp restricted recreational lakes, then either or.

I will primarily fish the clinch river, and the lake I would go to most often would be Melton Hill:
https://www.easttennesseefishing.com/index.php?act=announce&f=39&id=24

I don't know of any restrictions locally on motor size. Which one would better handle a third person? I may (rarely), bring a third person with us, and they may or may not be fishing. Also, how much of a speed difference would you guess between the two boats, with identical payloads? I apologize for asking so many questions, but this is a big investment for me.

I am guessing +/- 8 with the 5 horse on the 14, and probably 20 - 30 or so on the Tracker. All of this is dependent on load and conditions. The flat bottom will fish a 3rd person better, but I bet the Tracker would carry the load down the lake a bit better. Really going to have to answer this for yourself. I can answer most questions you ask regarding how much, and stuff regarding which is better for which purpose - if I can't someone on here can, but given these answers, you will have to decide which is a better choice for your needs.

BTW, don't apologize for asking questions. Einstein asked them. Though there is no substitute for experience, questions do go a long way.

Personally, I would go with the Tracker, but that is just my opinion. I have that same motor on my Starcraft. That thing will fly like it is now. It will still go at a pretty decent clip loaded down with decks, livewells, etc. Plus it's got a bilge pump already and a TM. Both boats are a good choice though. I would go look at both and ask to take them out on the water. Run both of them pretty good, give the motors a good once-over and move around in them to see which you like better.

Latest posts