Opinions on this boat? (Craigslist Ad)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14X?

If you are going to be fishing 3 people, you need at least a 14' boat and even then, it can get kind of cramped.

There's no trolling motor or running lights on that Tracker and a bow mount may have to be fabricated if you wanted to mount a tm up there (it would also eat up a lot of your bow space). New trolling motors are way over $100 if he's asking $1500 for the Tracker.

That Tracker does look to be in fine shape, though.

The third person would never be fishing, and it would only happen a couple times. The tracker comes with a 34# thrust transom mount trolling motor. The seller also has battery operated lights to make the boat legal for night time fishing.

I find it impossible to fish with a transom mounted trolling motor. I don't even want a hand controlled. Foot controlled is where it's at for the type of fishing that I do.

Your fishing style may be different, however.

You just don't have anywhere near the control that you have with a bow mount. Just my two cents.

Oh, and the third person doesn't have to be fishing. When you put three in a boat that small, it makes casting a chore because you have to be super aware of where you are slinging hooks at all times.

Cubman said:
I got another reply to my wanted ad, here is a link to the ad:
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/668566919.html

It looks like it is already set up for fishing, and he says it is 14 ft. long, and that the decks are new. What do you all think?

What are the specs? This one does not look bad? Can you ask him for a few more pics?

I just got this from him:
The deck is made out of aluminum and the floor is out pressure treated plywood. It was put in 2 summers ago. The floor,carpet,seats where put in new. I think the motor is a is 1985.
Will the pressure treated plywood have caused corrosion in two years?

Cubman said:
I just got this from him:
The deck is made out of aluminum and the floor is out pressure treated plywood. It was put in 2 summers ago. The floor,carpet,seats where put in new. I think the motor is a is 1985.
Will the pressure treated plywood have caused corrosion in two years?

Shouldnt have....Unless maybe the boat was filled with water for a couple of years????

Thank you, Jim. Would I need to replace the decks, or would they be alright if I kept everything reasonably dry?

Cubman said:
Thank you, Jim. Would I need to replace the decks, or would they be alright if I kept everything reasonably dry?

They only way to really tell is get on them and move around a bit and see how much play and movement there is in them. Any way of looking underneath or getting a good smell underneath? If you can get a feel and see if it is damp underneath, you might get a better idea.

I have another boat that I need some opinions on. It is a 17' loweline with a 55hp johnson and trailer, and it has front and rear casting decks that were built last year (marine grade plywood). It comes with a starting battery, but will need a battery for the trolling motor and new trailer tires. The boat sat over the winter, and the owner is asking $1800. Here are the pictures:

14017585020.jpg

14017585034.jpg

14017585077.jpg

14017585019.jpg

What do you all think? Thanks!

If it sat over winter, that motor will need to be serviced before it will run well. Count on probably another 100 for parts for that, and also, it looks as if it may have been left uncovered. Dig around and see if it looks like it was stored where water pooled up (probably would be a waterline inside the hull), and check for rotten wood.

bassboy1 said:
If it sat over winter, that motor will need to be serviced before it will run well. Count on probably another 100 for parts for that, and also, it looks as if it may have been left uncovered. Dig around and see if it looks like it was stored where water pooled up (probably would be a waterline inside the hull), and check for rotten wood.

Exactly what I was thinking! Did he even winterize it? Are you in an area that gets cold?

It Seems Like he did not take care of it, I would probably pass. Every day I see hundreds of boats for sale, One will pop up out of the blue. Most of the time you can tell if an owner took semi-good care of a boat.

Thanks for the replies! I too was worried about the appearance, but I was wondering if it was a gem in the rough. Now that I know the answer to that, I'll move on to another boat. I found this, which I really like. The trailer that comes with this boat, is the tongue too short to backup with the tailgate down?

Rhyan-Craft 15 foot flat bottom jon-boat. 1987 model, 25 horsepower Evinrude outboard. Good boat, starts on 3 or 4th pull. Two bench seats, gas tank, and built in live-well. Great fishing boat! Runs good, newer trailer, and newer tires and wheels. $1500

011508010305010408200805210d62d781c2a1726f3400a660.jpg

0102000103030104062008052182f027a8e42fb48acb008fc5.jpg

011503010311010405200805212e5adaaab774baced800b6ee.jpg

The tongue looks fine, The only way to tell is to lower the tailgate to see if it resting on it. You will learn to use your mirrors anyway and gauge with the top of the outboard. You wont even lower the tailgate.

Looking at the pics, this boat looks like it's in much better shape that the first one. Also, again judging by the pics, the winch looks like it's too far away from the bow stop, or maybe I'm just used to having one close to the winch. Wondering if it's the original trailer. Appears to me, that with the tailgate lowered, it may (certainly not sure) hit the winch.

That is a (fairly stupid) trailer method that was used on most bass boats in the 80s. The boat companies didn't make their own like these days (more like didn't have their own made like these days) so they all bought trailers from trailer companies. The trailer companies hadn't mastered the idea of the movable winch post like they have now. So, the front post with the winch is welded on, and the second post is adjustable, and has the roller. There is a slot underneath the roller that the winch cable runs through, and meets the bow eye. They also hadn't realized that trailers needed tongues. Course, they still haven't realized that today. If I were buying a new boat, there is no way I would take the trailer that is supposedly "custom matched" for that boat.

Now, you notice the roller post is slanted. Not supposed to be. They used the cheapest/weakest method of getting that to adjust, and it don't last long. Basically, there is a piece of tubing that is a half an inch larger than the tongue, that is slipped over the tongue. A hole is drilled, and a nut is welded over the hole. A bolt goes in and tightens against the tongue, using just friction to hold. The vertical adjust is the same way, but seeing as there is only one bolt, it starts to fold the inside tubing, causing the thing to lean. Without a boat attached, the top half, holding the roller, would bounce off.