ouachita 1666 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czuniga

Reaction score
Hello, Ciro from Deep south texas. I am new to this site but have been reading wonderfull information in reference to jons b. I just recently got my hands on this old 1973 ouachita jon quite big, 16 ft long and 66 inches wide. I am wondering if its a good brand. Looks very solid and for 300 bucks including and a ok trailer i thinks its was alright. Will need to sand blast and repaint. Any suggestion on primer and paint i should use. might have to redo transom. Will post pics soon. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

hello and welcome, im not an expert but i did research sandblasting not too long ago and im not sure if its a good idea. many say the air pressure alone can rip and tear the aluminum, not sure if theres any truth to this but i did find some people talking about soda blasting. IM going with aircraft stripper. its about the same cost from what ive seen. anyways good luck, and welcome aboard!

thanks for the info i will keep it in mind. Just weighing out my options and looking for some opinions. i think with a little work and carefull planning i can turn this tin into a nice little rig....

Sandblasting an aluminum boat is a no go. Soda blast, or I have heard of some using the ground up walnut shells.

Thnaks for the info. Ill just go with paint stripper and wire brush. I read on another thread to apply the stripper and then use the pressure washer. Will give that a try. Any info on the boat brand. Its not as popular as alumnacraft or lowe. Just wondering on that. Also I have a 1436 alumnacraft with a 9.9 jonhson just wondering it that engine will push this monster. It does a really good job on the 14 fter.Pics coming soon

Ouachita boats were manufactured from about 1970 to the early 80's. My 16DSV is a 1971 that my uncle bought new and I inhereted. They seem to be sturdy and well made.
I used Strip-Eze K3 stripper, self-etching primer, and Valspar Farm Implement paint in Ford blue on the outside, and a khaki flat paint on the interior.
Here's mine:

Attachments

• Ouachita8.jpg
    Ouachita8.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,935
  • Ouachita9.jpg
    Ouachita9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,935
I actually just thought the blue was the best of the colors available to me at the time. It just happened to have Ford on the can! We have both Ford (Taurus) and Mopar at the moment, since the Toyota T100 was totalled. My wife went out and bought a 2004 Dakota quad cab 4x4. That is our tow vehicle now. :mrgreen:

thanks for the info guys!!!
just wondering about how many gallons of primer and paint will it take to put on a good coat on this boat..

thanks

Ringo Steele said:
I actually just thought the blue was the best of the colors available to me at the time. It just happened to have Ford on the can! We have both Ford (Taurus) and Mopar at the moment, since the Toyota T100 was totalled. My wife went out and bought a 2004 Dakota quad cab 4x4. That is our tow vehicle now. :mrgreen:

The boat looks nice. No matter what the color is call...Nice job.

JasonLester said:
JamesM56alum said:
WHY!!!! would you go an ruin a beautiful boat by painting it a ford color =P shoulda went mopar! =D>

Nopar.... GM color.... :LOL2:

Looks nice!

I don't think Hugger Orange or Plum Crazy look good on a boat. Ford blue was a good choice Ringo. :wink:

In all seriousness, the boat looks really good. I'm digging the bow lines; makes it look fast.

There are a few ouachita builds on here in the mod section. $300 sounds like a good price for a boat that big too. Lots of options for paint, just make sure it's a marine grade and that you do a good job with prep. Do you plan to hunt/fish out of the new boat?

This is it,, i haven't had it inthe water yet i will try to strap on my 9.9 johnson (see if it pushes it) i need something a littler bigger i think a 35 hp maybe. Need to pain it and work on the trailer. Any idea how may gallons it would take?

Attachments

• IMG_20120204_164026.jpg
    IMG_20120204_164026.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 433
This is my 1436 Alumnacraft, and this is the johnson i was talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_20111231_113256.jpg
    IMG_20111231_113256.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 433
fish only. I just wanted something really comfortable and i think this is it. I just have no idea what to do with it. I guess the more i think about the more
things i wanno do to it.. should be great...

Slapped on my 9.9 and 3 buddies of mine hit the water. About 800 lbs or so. And it did preaty good. Plained a little. Looking into changing my prop from a Michigan 9.5 x 10 to a 9.25 x 8 solas as per some recommendedations from some folks around here.